Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any long term value in keeping the car factory original?
Will future owners appreciate the car as it came from the factory?

I read many posts about aftermarket radios, windshields, mudflaps, changing the Saturn emblem, different rims, removing labels, adding body kits....

None of it seems like an exciting idea to me. I like being able to say 10 yrs from now when I sell the car "All Factory Original". But does that mean anything?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ahnuld said:

I read many posts about aftermarket radios, windshields, mudflaps, changing the Saturn emblem, different rims, removing labels, adding body kits....

None of it seems like an exciting idea to me. I like being able to say 10 yrs from now when I sell the car "All Factory Original". But does that mean anything?
:thumbs: It means a lot to me. I agree with you. And I enjoy working very hard to keep the car "original" for those 10 years. (Just sold a 28 year old "original" truck)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Ahnuld said:

It does to a collector. Now - whether your car (or mine for that matter) survives that long and IS the object of want in the collector world is a different thing.
I have usually kept my cars at or near stock anyway (none even CLOSE to any kind of collect ability - it's just the way I am) so keeping the SKY there is no big deal.
However, knowing some collectors has opened my eyes and given me a path to follow. Even if the car never achieves collect ability - this stuff would help if it does and none of it is hard to do.
Keep all the documentation. Bill of sale, order sheets, Window sticker. I even have all the tags that are attached to the car when delivered to the dealer before they do prep.
Any changes you DO make (This gives you the flexibility) just keep all the parts you remove. These can then be put back on at a later date to restore the car. (Or sold to someone who needs them at quite a profit I might add)
So if you practice this, it gives you the ability to either keep it in Factory Original shape or, even with changes document them and have the ability to return it to stock later...
:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I feel it does mean something. Our 1992 viper is totally orginial. It has roughly 3000 miles on it. And everything is in there orginial pkging, but this was the first made, vin #142 out of 200 made. Its definitely a collectors car. We take it to shows, and get asked frequently to show it at different chrysler events. But unfortunately as time goes on, like anything, a person gets bored and its time for change, so someone else can get the enjoyment we had. Off to Barnett Jackson next year...........:D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for confirming my thoughts about keeping it original... even if it I'm not sure of its overall condition down the road.

I don't know how much I'll be driving my sky. I have another car to drive, and I think the sky will be more on the low mileage side.... but I'm sure when I get to hitting the pedal on 260hp with the top down, I'll drive it all the time.

So I have just as much chance in 5 years of having 120,000 miles as I do having 5,000 miles... but either way I think I'll stick with factory orig.

·
Registered
322 Posts
For what its worth I'm with Rick.:thumbs: I'll make some "mods" :cool: to increase horsepower, but I will keep all of the origtinal pieces and IF and when I ever sell the car I can return it to stock.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
CUINOZ said:
For what its worth I'm with Rick.:thumbs: I'll make some "mods" :cool: to increase horsepower, but I will keep all of the origtinal pieces and IF and when I ever sell the car I can return it to stock.
Too me that is a great middle road.
I have seen stock (with performance mods) go for the same as a straight stock -- but even more if the original parts were available.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ahnuld said:

10 years, it probably won;t mean much , but in 30 years it will mean alot... just look at the muscel cars from the 60's and 70's, if they are all factory origonal, they bring much more than one that has had engine swaps or, tranny swaps, or custom body work done to them....not to say that the Sky will fit into this catagory, but it will have a better chance of being worth more...
Just look at some of those Civics and other cars that were modded out 5 years ago... don't they look dated today? I bet a 5 year old modded civic would not bring as much as a good stock one... at least to most buyers...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Thats true! I was watching Barnet Jackson auction several weeks ago, and those Charger/Callengers and Cudas were getting over 100,000. :eek: I really enjoyed watching the bidding...............

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
MRSVIPER said:
Thats true! I was watching Barnet Jackson auction several weeks ago, and those Charger/Callengers and Cudas were getting over 100,000. :eek: I really enjoyed watching the bidding...............
pssst i don;t want to be picky but thats Barrett-Jackson

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
This is such an excellent question, and one that I have debated back and forth. I now have a base SKY and will be getting a Red Line. While I am giving the base SKY to my daughter I have said to her, "you are not allowed to trade this in on a minivan when you have munchkins. I get first dibs on buying it back whenever you decide to get rid of it." She plans to keep it for a very long time, as I intend to keep my Red Line pretty much forever. Both cars will be daily drivers.

I have done a lot of work with classic cars as a former Automobile Photographer. I photographed Corvettes that were awarded the Dontov prize by NCRS, and those guys were crazy. Stuff like, "We checked the serial number on your alternator, and the alternator was made in 1969, but your car is a 1968. While it is identical to the 1968 alternator in every way, the serial number indicates that it is not factory original, and therefore you are disqualified." But some cars passed as 100% factory original, and I was chartered to photograph them. I reserved space in a park so I could sourround them with nothing but grass. And I discovered two types of owners.

The first type drove up in their cars, proud as can be, and thoroughly enjoyed the photographic process. There was another car - trailered the two miles to the park, and then hand-rolled off the trailer with little vinyl booties covering the tires and rims. I said, "This photograph is going in the registry, and it will appear on your trophy. Are you sure you want me to take this picture with the ugly, vinyl booties over your tires and rims?" And I was told, "Hey - I don't want to have to pluck stones and grass clippings out of my treads or wheel wells."

Okay, fine. But is that really enjoying a classic Corvette? When you can't even take the booties off the tires and actually 'drive' it?

I also did work with the Porsche club. One guy got a brand new 928, took it right from the dealership and entered it in a show. He thought, "I gotta be a lock on getting the 'Most Factory Original' trophy." He didn't. He got a whole lot of points off for stuff like excess goop on the door hinges, and the occasional misalignment and ticky-tack little stuff. He argued that his car was EXACTLY as it came from the factory. The judges said, "It's not supposed to be how it actually came from Zuffenhausen; it's supposed to appear as how Zuffenhausen would want it to appear."

These experiences have shaped my handling of the SKYs. First, I want to drive them and enjoy them. The instant that I don't drive them to preserve the value versus enjoy the moment, I lose. Second, I'd like to make my SKYs appear "how GM would want them" versus "how GM built them." In other words, I'll do stainless steel lock pulls, a stubby antennae and a dual exhaust because they look better and were probably not included on the car due to cost savings. The same goes for getting rid of ugly stickers and tags off the visors and seat belts. I don't want to look at those every day for the next 30 years...

BUT - I have kept my old air intake and exhaust system in a box, which I will stuff into the attic. When I get my Red Line I am looking real seriously at custom rims, but I will keep the stock rims handy.

Should the car go explosive in value, I'll have the original parts to restory my car to "factory." If nothing else, if my car has lots of miles and too much fun behind it to ever be "factory" then I will have a brand new exhaust system, intake and rims to sell to somebody else who wants to make their car "factory original."

But when it comes right down to it, I bought the SKY to enjoy it, not to get rich off of it. So if I tweak it here or there so I can enjoy it more, then that's goodness.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
jdigiant said:
This is such an excellent question, and one that I have debated back and forth. I now have a base SKY and will be getting a Red Line. While I am giving the base SKY to my daughter I have said to her, "you are not allowed to trade this in on a minivan when you have munchkins. I get first dibs on buying it back whenever you decide to get rid of it." She plans to keep it for a very long time, as I intend to keep my Red Line pretty much forever. Both cars will be daily drivers.

I have done a lot of work with classic cars as a former Automobile Photographer. I photographed Corvettes that were awarded the Dontov prize by NCRS, and those guys were crazy. Stuff like, "We checked the serial number on your alternator, and the alternator was made in 1969, but your car is a 1968. While it is identical to the 1968 alternator in every way, the serial number indicates that it is not factory original, and therefore you are disqualified." But some cars passed as 100% factory original, and I was chartered to photograph them. I reserved space in a park so I could sourround them with nothing but grass. And I discovered two types of owners.

The first type drove up in their cars, proud as can be, and thoroughly enjoyed the photographic process. There was another car - trailered the two miles to the park, and then hand-rolled off the trailer with little vinyl booties covering the tires and rims. I said, "This photograph is going in the registry, and it will appear on your trophy. Are you sure you want me to take this picture with the ugly, vinyl booties over your tires and rims?" And I was told, "Hey - I don't want to have to pluck stones and grass clippings out of my treads or wheel wells."

Okay, fine. But is that really enjoying a classic Corvette? When you can't even take the booties off the tires and actually 'drive' it?

I also did work with the Porsche club. One guy got a brand new 928, took it right from the dealership and entered it in a show. He thought, "I gotta be a lock on getting the 'Most Factory Original' trophy." He didn't. He got a whole lot of points off for stuff like excess goop on the door hinges, and the occasional misalignment and ticky-tack little stuff. He argued that his car was EXACTLY as it came from the factory. The judges said, "It's not supposed to be how it actually came from Zuffenhausen; it's supposed to appear as how Zuffenhausen would want it to appear."

These experiences have shaped my handling of the SKYs. First, I want to drive them and enjoy them. The instant that I don't drive them to preserve the value versus enjoy the moment, I lose. Second, I'd like to make my SKYs appear "how GM would want them" versus "how GM built them." In other words, I'll do stainless steel lock pulls, a stubby antennae and a dual exhaust because they look better and were probably not included on the car due to cost savings. The same goes for getting rid of ugly stickers and tags off the visors and seat belts. I don't want to look at those every day for the next 30 years...

BUT - I have kept my old air intake and exhaust system in a box, which I will stuff into the attic. When I get my Red Line I am looking real seriously at custom rims, but I will keep the stock rims handy.

Should the car go explosive in value, I'll have the original parts to restory my car to "factory." If nothing else, if my car has lots of miles and too much fun behind it to ever be "factory" then I will have a brand new exhaust system, intake and rims to sell to somebody else who wants to make their car "factory original."

But when it comes right down to it, I bought the SKY to enjoy it, not to get rich off of it. So if I tweak it here or there so I can enjoy it more, then that's goodness.
That is pretty much exactly where I am . . .

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
:agree:

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
I plan on saving every factory part i swap out in a nice controlled enviroment in my house. In case any of it ever needs to go back on.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
:agree: Will save all the parts I change out, and try to used gm acesssories where available, Just want to be a bit different:thumbs: :thumbs:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts