Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
On the turbos the fan controller fails sometimes, you can find a Ford crown Victoria fan controller that works for about $20-30 on amazon.

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
I think the fan comes on at 195? Had it idling for 20 minutes, temp went to 218 then shut her off.....solenoid switch bad? Anybody have this happen?
The fan turns on above 195, but I don't remember exactly where, maybe 220.
Try turning the AC on, as that should start the fan regardless of coolant temperature.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fan turns on above 195, but I don't remember exactly where, maybe 220.
Try turning the AC on, as that should start the fan regardless of coolant temperature.
John, just tried it. Fan doesn't come on when A/C is turned on. I am the original owner and the engine temp ranges from 189 to 205 at it's peak no matter if the air is on or not. I thought the thermostat was set a 195.

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
So there is no solenoid but a fan controller?
The thermostat is a mechanical device that opens and closes to send water to the radiator. The fan is controlled by a variable speed controller in the RL and a pair of relays in the NA.

·
Registered
07 Redline 5sp
103 Posts
What Shabby said..... my fan didn't work either....fan controller is same as in Ford Crown Vic..... don't know why...but it is !!!!! found one on eVilbay for about $20

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
So there is no solenoid but a fan controller?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thermostat is a mechanical device that opens and closes to send water to the radiator. The fan is controlled by a variable speed controller in the RL and a pair of relays in the NA.
Yeah I know what a thermostat is, replaced many on classic cars. Some cars have a solenoid controlling the fans.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where is the fan controlling module? Just unplug the old one and replace?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How did you know it was the controller? Where is it? Do you just unplug the old one and replace? Thanks!

·
Registered
07 Redline 5sp
103 Posts
It made sense that it was that part..... I had a new thermostat already..... front of the engine behind the radiator fan..... simple unplug and replace....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just finished this job last night. Some information that might be helpful. I've used the fan control modules for the Crown Vic but in my experience they only last 2 to 3 years. Could be the hot climate I'm in or just not 100% compatible.
In my situation this time I had an electrical short on the fan which damaged the control module as well. Diagnostic error code P0691. This code indicates a bad control module or short on the fan motor. I tested the fan outside of the vehicle and it does spin but when on the vehicle it doesn't. I replaced it with a Gates module that is supposed to be a replacement for the redline. We'll see how long it lasts. Takes about 5 minutes to remove. Located on the upper passenger side section of the shroud between the engine and fan.
They do not sell the fan motor by itself, you have to buy the entire shroud which comes with the fan and control module included. Very expensive, over $200. There is a work around that seemed to work for me. I purchased a Hayden universal fan that drops right into the fan shroud with minor modifications. Only costs $58 from Amazon. Seems to be working great! I'll post the links for both fan and module. Hope this helps.
NOTE: For anyone using the Hayden fan as a substitute. You must reverse the polarity on the fan when installing as the fan comes in a push not pull configuration. What I did was cut the original connector off of the the original factory fan then spliced the connector to the Hayden fan in reverse order.

·
Registered
07 Redline 5sp
103 Posts
Gates makes decent stuff......but I don't see why their module would last any longer than a Ford part.....and it's pretty pricey.....My guess is that your shorting fan could smoke any mfr. control module.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, as I mentioned in the beginning I believe the fan shorting caused the module to go bad on this occasion but previous modules lasted a few years. I don't believe they would have lasted that long with a short on the fan. Also the ones I've purchased in the past were on Amazon but were not an original Ford product. Maybe the quality on those is not that good.That's why I decided to go with the Gates. At least that's my experience. We'll see how long the Gates lasts.

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
Yes, as I mentioned in the beginning I believe the fan shorting caused the module to go bad on this occasion but previous modules lasted a few years. I don't believe they would have lasted that long with a short on the fan. Also the ones I've purchased in the past were on Amazon but were not an original Ford product. Maybe the quality on those is not that good.That's why I decided to go with the Gates. At least that's my experience. We'll see how long the Gates lasts.
I am interested in learning whether there is a difference also.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just finished this job last night. Some information that might be helpful. I've used the fan control modules for the Crown Vic but in my experience they only last 2 to 3 years. Could be the hot climate I'm in or just not 100% compatible.
In my situation this time I had an electrical short on the fan which damaged the control module as well. Diagnostic error code P0691. This code indicates a bad control module or short on the fan motor. I tested the fan outside of the vehicle and it does spin but when on the vehicle it doesn't. I replaced it with a Gates module that is supposed to be a replacement for the redline. We'll see how long it lasts. Takes about 5 minutes to remove. Located on the upper passenger side section of the shroud between the engine and fan.
They do not sell the fan motor by itself, you have to buy the entire shroud which comes with the fan and control module included. Very expensive, over $200. There is a work around that seemed to work for me. I purchased a Hayden universal fan that drops right into the fan shroud with minor modifications. Only costs $58 from Amazon. Seems to be working great! I'll post the links for both fan and module. Hope this helps.
NOTE: For anyone using the Hayden fan as a substitute. You must reverse the polarity on the fan when installing as the fan comes in a push not pull configuration. What I did was cut the original connector off of the the original factory fan then spliced the connector to the Hayden fan in reverse order.
I ended up buying the four seasons shroud with fan control module for $187. Works great and I think better then Dormain which was a little cheaper.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts