Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just finished this job last night. Some information that might be helpful. I've used the fan control modules for the Crown Vic but in my experience they only last 2 to 3 years. Could be the hot climate I'm in or just not 100% compatible.
In my situation this time I had an electrical short on the fan which damaged the control module as well. Diagnostic error code P0691. This code indicates a bad control module or short on the fan motor. I tested the fan outside of the vehicle and it does spin but when on the vehicle it doesn't. I replaced it with a Gates module that is supposed to be a replacement for the redline. We'll see how long it lasts. Takes about 5 minutes to remove. Located on the upper passenger side section of the shroud between the engine and fan.
They do not sell the fan motor by itself, you have to buy the entire shroud which comes with the fan and control module included. Very expensive, over $200. There is a work around that seemed to work for me. I purchased a Hayden universal fan that drops right into the fan shroud with minor modifications. Only costs $58 from Amazon. Seems to be working great! I'll post the links for both fan and module. Hope this helps.
NOTE: For anyone using the Hayden fan as a substitute. You must reverse the polarity on the fan when installing as the fan comes in a push not pull configuration. What I did was cut the original connector off of the the original factory fan then spliced the connector to the Hayden fan in reverse order.
Thanks for the info. I just bought a 4 seasons which is also a replacement with the shroud, fan, controller for $187 which was about $20 more than the two you bought with no splicing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awesome! glad that worked out for you. If you do run into any issues with just the motor in the future, which I doubt will be anytime soon, the Hayden fan will be the least expensive option. So far it seems to be working. Engine temps are a few degrees hotter than normal, especially on consistent high speed runs, 70 mph or above but it has been 93 degrees or above everyday here in FL. I do have an option to getting it a little more flush mounted toward the engine, which will make up a few degrees but that will be for another day.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Awesome! glad that worked out for you. If you do run into any issues with just the motor in the future, which I doubt will be anytime soon, the Hayden fan will be the least expensive option. So far it seems to be working. Engine temps are a few degrees hotter than normal, especially on consistent high speed runs, 70 mph or above but it has been 93 degrees or above everyday here in FL. I do have an option to getting it a little more flush mounted toward the engine, which will make up a few degrees but that will be for another day.
The car has always been around 192-6 and on real hot days, 205 is the max which is good.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Funny enough my fan stopped coming on today, i noticed the ac was turning off and on, fan controller will be here by the weekend :)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts