Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
We don't use anything special for Glass.
Just good microfiber towels.

We do the Nanoskin by hand with car wash.
It lubricates it plenty and does double duty of cleaning while removing impurities in the paint.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
You can see the products at IGL coatings.com Here in Canada tehy won't sell the coatings to the public I don't know if they do in the US. I'm a detailer and authorized installer of their products in Canada.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Anyone have something that they really like for the Chrome wheels?

My previous Sky had the polished wheels, but this new one has the chrome. I have tried a special "chrome wheel cleaner and polish" that has not given me very good results (it leaves lots of smudges and spots).

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts

My previous Sky had the polished wheels, but this new one has the chrome. I have tried a special "chrome wheel cleaner and polish" that has not given me very good results (it leaves lots of smudges and spots).

Suggestions?
That's another one that Meguiar's had covered with a product they don't seem to make any longer- it was a spray-on, wipe off thing that did a nice job. Everything I've tried since is either spray on, rinse off, wipe dry, or just doesn't work well.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

Suggestions?

Plain water and a towel works fine. Been doing it for 11 yrs on our cheap chrome and it still shines. No pitting at all. Every now and again when water is not available...a little spit on a towel does fine. Those of us in the military always used it to supplement our brass and boots....hence, a spit shine. Don't get caught up with cleaning products.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
On chrome and polished wheels I have had good success with a foam ball in my cordless drill and metal polish followed up with wax. Brings out the shine, gets any crud off the surface prior to the waxing and the wax helps reject future crud sticking.

We also do an annual wash, clay bar (I like it and it works so no change necessary for me), machine polish, machine wax, and seal. I keep them under the Hailblankets most of the time so they stay clean and dust free. We are within an hour of Adams Polishes and like his products so that is my provider of choice. The club is visiting his factory next month for training classes and big cash SALE!

I treat the top every six moths, flood wash, vacuum, lint removal roller, and a good coat of Raggtop sprayed on liberally.

·
Registered
237 Posts

Suggestions?
i use meguiars ultimate quik wax on the chrome wheels and whole car after every wash.
works good on plastic to.i use it on my truck on rear spoiler and bumper trim and frt
plastic spoiler and splash guards.also on rear exhaust panel on the sky.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I like the rest of you out there, like to clean and polish/wax etc. my car. I'm not a pro, no custom car show awards, just an afternoon with relaxed session of peace and quiet with the car. Add in a cold adult beverage of choice or two.

When I was a young lad, my dad always did our car up before we went anywhere. It was his thing, and I learned and watched, and enjoyed it. That's where it started for me at least. Now in my old age, things are a little tougher on the ole back or knees, but I still get a kick out of cleaning up the car. Out comes the products of choice, my chair, maybe the cooler and some tunes. During my blankness to the rest of the world going on around me, my car gets my best efforts when I am possessed about going somewhere, anywhere looking good, looking sharp. ZZ Top song.. Sharped dress man... same for the car.

I have my religious experience, my talk with God... a one way conversation... I do all the talking, he does all the listening. lol Then things get busy. A labor of love, then obsession with this or that. Then anal attitude takes over. Whatever it takes sometimes. When your done, are you really ever done with it? No not really, have spent days ( retirement has it's benefits ) it's a hobby of mine now days. The farmer who rents my place, said something that caught my ear recently on one of his visits, he said, " I wish I had brought my comb with me." Why I asked? He then said," I could part my hair, in the mirror like reflection on the back of your car." Oh really.. nah I just do it because my dad did, it's in me too. Inside of me I beamed with pride. Ole dad would be proud.

While my car is not perfect it does sit outside. NO cover. My garage is too short, and the roof and near by tree a big one, has driven me to just leave it as is. Yes it gets all types of dirt, bird poop, etc. and low and behold out I go once again to clean it up before I go somewhere. It is what it is for some of us I guess. I just went to see my grandson play baseball this past Sat. Spent 3 days, not full days, but part of them.. washing, polishing/waxing up things. Interior of the car will be this week's project. Corona's and cleaning on nice afternoon. Over the many years we all have our favorite products for our cars. Whether you buy them from AutoGeeks, or Advance Auto or Wally's World, it your car and your money and time. Do a lot or do a little it is all up to you, the owner/operator as what does or does not look right on our cars. By hand or by machine, top dollar for best thing out there, or whatever is the cheapest I can afford right now, still all up to you.

After some 50 years, since I was like 10 I have cleaned a few things in my time. We all have, it's what cars guys do. The ladies like a clean car too. A young waitress I met.... said wow that is clean and sharp car you have there.. why yes it is sweetie, wanna go for a ride? She looked me straight in the eye, smiles nodded her head, and she will get her ride, and maybe more on my next visit to her place of business!

On to the list of goodies I use or don't:

Car Cleaning Supplies:

Mother's Products:
* Back-to-Black Trim & Plastic Restorer
* California Gold Scratch Remover

Meguier's Products:
* Car Wash
* PlastX
* Cleaner Wax
* Quik Detailer
* Hot Shine Tire Foam
* Interior Cleaner All surfaces

Sunbrella 303 Products:
* Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner
* Aerospace Protectant

Turtle Wax Products:
* Super Hard Shell Paste wax
* Ice Premium Care Spray Detailer
Rainex:
* Rain-x regular liquid formula

Stoners Products:
* Invisible Glass

Nu Finish Products:
* Scratch Doctor

Blue Magic Products:
* Leather Cream Conditioner

Eagle One Products:
* Never-Dull

Petroleum Jelly:
*Any Brand

Carpet Cleaning Products:
*Any Brand

Black Magic Products:
* Tire Wet

Other Stuff
* Sponge
* Lamb's Wool Polishing Mitt
* Round Brush
* 3 small detail brushes Alum./Brass/Nylon set
* Foam brushes 1/4" & 1 1/2"
* Tire dresser foam wiper
* Lint Roller

Out of stock items:
* Clay Bar
* Alum. Polish/Cleaner

Engine Bay/ Suspension Cleaners:

* Gunk Engine Brite Cleaner/Degreaser

A forever changing list, your results will vary.

LAC

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
We don't use anything special for Glass.
Just good microfiber towels.

We do the Nanoskin by hand with car wash.
It lubricates it plenty and does double duty of cleaning while removing impurities in the paint.
We had our first sunny car show of the year last weekend- French and British. I can't sit and stare at the swirl marks on wifey's British racing green Sprite all day again.

So if the Nanoskin replaces clay bar, it would be Nanoskin with zero pressure on the DA using their glycerin lubricant ("Nanoskin Glide") to remove impurities, then get the swirl marks with the DA using Chemical Guys Hexcentric pads and polishing compound?

I bought this kit last spring but haven't fired it up yet.

Chemical Guys - Porter Cable 7424XP Complete Detailing Kit (13 Items)

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I started using Gyeon Wet coat. You spray it on a wet car and then hose it off. I love the shine with basically little effort on my part.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
OK, so almost two (2) years later on this thread, my search for the cleaner for FLOOR MATS to get that always present right foot heal-rest mark on the drivers side floor mat off has come up with no words toward what I thought I saw some while back.

Anyone remember seeing that or have a suggestion? My recollection is some kind of spray-on. ?? :willy:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts