Saturn Sky Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just tried a Sky for the very first time and I was very dissapointed in the car.
1.It rides like a go kart (hard as hell)
2.Feels fragile.
3.Where's the torque????:confused:
4.Incredably noisy single exhaust.(should be 2 exhaust pipes)
5.Seat belts impossible to grab.
6.Window and mirror controls hard to get to.
7.Are those runflat tires cause there's no spare just a compressor.(What if the tire shread's?)
8.I could go on but....:willy: :willy: :willy: :willy:

Oh by the way,this thread come's to you from Nathaliebaby's hubby... :thumbs:
Not worth the price i find.Should be around $25,000 canadian.

·
Registered
438 Posts
nathaliebaby said:
Just tried a Sky for the very first time and I was very dissapointed in the car.
2.Feels fragile.
7.Are those runflat tires cause there's no spare just a compressor.(What if the tire shread's?)

1. Some sweet go karts from canada? <profanity deleted by moderator> [Huh?] best riding roadster by far!
2. Fragile..every review (even the anti US mags) praise the sturdy feel!
3. Shift after 4000rpm's...she's there! Or get the RED LINE!
4. NOISY! Almost too quiet, need to add the CIA..to get her breathing right!
5. Just guessing...but you are a "big" guy. Tough to reach around to seat belt?
6. Window and mirrors...who cares top is down...no windows..mirrors (never use them)
7. Push ONSTAR! abracadabra! Tires fixed!
8. I could go on too, give me a real argument!

Just joking with ya...for the money you have to be kidding! 25,000 Canadian...go buy yourself a GO KART!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Great for you Nathaliebaby! Sounds like your going to have the car to yourself...now if I could only get my wife to think like your hubby- I'd be sooo happy!

To each his own. Hope Nathaliebaby has fun with the Sky!:)

P.S. can you really find a car for 25K Canadian? (sorry had to do it!) Next time I go down South, I'll stop into Canada to check it out.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
To each their own, but I personally think my Solstice was worth every penny I spent and more.

1.It rides like a go kart (hard as hell) Compared to what? I've been driving my friends BMW Z4 for the last 2 days and it rides much harsher then my Solstice and the seats aren't as comfortable. The new MX-5 is farrrr harsher then the Solstice since it's very 'purist' meaning you feel every crack and bumb in the road. I've also found the S2000 to be harsher ride as well.
2.Feels fragile. I will agree some parts like the door handles and the roof latch feel like they might be fragile but besides that the cars are rock solid. I've got 8 auto-x events under my belt with my Solstice already with 0 issues so far.
3.Where's the torque????:confused: I ask once agian compared to what? Compared to my frineds BMW Z4 3.0 yes I would agree. Compared to the current gen and last gen MX-5 I'd greatly disagree. It's far better then my ZX2 S/R i had before too.
4.Incredably noisy single exhaust.(should be 2 exhaust pipes) This is all about personal taste. I actually really like the exhaust note and the back gurgle on downshifts.
5.Seat belts impossible to grab. Yes very true.
6.Window and mirror controls hard to get to. Also true about the window controls, I haven't had issues with the mirror ones though especially since you really kinda set them once and forget.
7.Are those runflat tires cause there's no spare just a compressor.(What if the tire shread's?) Nope not runflats, runflats create a harsher ride when used. The inflator system uses a goo to seal punctured tires. Just like the MX-5 & RX8, S2000 also I think, and several other cars. Even if they were run flat tires a shreded run-flat is still an unusable tire.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Come on guys, you don't have to attack him. He has his right to his opinion. If you don't like it start a discussion, not a counter flame attack and accusations of people being trolls. Yes we all love our cars, but that should not make us blind to its faults.

I'm removing all off topic posts to permit the real discussion that can occure from this topic.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Let's keep it clean...

I've cleaned this thread up some more.

Personal attacks, name calling, and disrespectful posting is not only inappropriate, it's not allowed.

Keep it clean and respectful. People are entitled to their own opinions, and swearing/profanity does not further the discussion.

·
Registered
802 Posts
nathaliebaby said:
2.Feels fragile.

Seems like Nathaliebaby ought to be doing the testing and asking the questions. It's not a corvette nor a porsche nor a citroen nor a renault. It is just a fun little car with lots of class and it is nice to drive something that others admire nearly as much as you. My only concern about power is whether it can get up to freeway speeds fast enough...it passed the test going away.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I'm not sure where you comming from. What kind of vehicle do you drive? This will tell us what are you comparing the SKY too.

I got to drive an Automatic SKY yesterday and I was VERY IMPRESSED. Sounds great, has great torque (even at intersate speeds) and the ride is a lot better that I had expected for such a tight roadster.

Unless you are used to or expected break-neck horsepower and/or torque this vehicle has plenty get-up-n-go for almost all. :thumbs:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
304 Posts
nathaliebaby said:
2.Feels fragile.
1. A boulevaard cruiser it ain't. Strap yourself into a Saas Sonnett II if you ever get the chance, 2", literally your butt is 2 freakin inches off the pavement! And you think every pothole is going through the roof - but amazingly it absorbed Pittsburgh potholes better than a full sized sedan. Besides, over half of professional race car drivers get their start in karts, then move up exponentially to Nextel cup or IRL.

2. Have to echo that their is no fragility to the frame as being hydroformed it is as strong as a truck. Maybe the metal body panels compared to traditional Saturn plastic is exhibiting more shake which makes you think it is not as strong?

3. Torque does come on late, but continues to produce all the way up. It is easier to drive than the HO engine in the Vibe, which comes on even later.

4. Car is not noisy at all compared to similar vehicles. The sound (not noise) of the exhaust has been engineered to produce a certain quality. Every manufacturer spends thousands of hours trying to produce a uniqueness of sound that at the same time echos a high-class benchmark.

5. Try the seatbelts in a Honda Civic two door, they reside 18" behind the seatback!!

6. Yes they are, no argument here. More forward placement on door or central in console would be even better.

7. They are NOT runflat tires (unless for Canadian consumption runflat tyres are being subbed along the way. Name the last time you did have a flat not in your driveway on your other ride(s). I thought so. Last time I had a blowout on a car was in 1971 or 1972 on a 1967 Dodge with bias tires. Also back in the 70's (most of you are too young to remember) the car companies sold tons of cars without any spare tire as a weight savings for fuel economy.

8. Don't compare a Sky to a G35 or even a Malibu. Different vehicles completely. Compare it to : Honda S2000, Mazda Miata, Chrysler Crossfire, BMW Z4, defunct Toyota MR2 Spyder, Porsche Boxter, Chevy Corvette, yes, do make the comparison to the 'vette AND the Caddy XLR and ponder why it may make sense to buy 2 Skys, on in Redline, for the price of a 'vette or even better, 2 Skys, ans a 'vette for the price of an XLR-V

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm terribly sorry if I hurt anybodies feelings...:angel: It was not my intention to attack anyone on this forum.
It's was just my honest opinion on my first impressions of the car.
Yesterday was a cold night up here in Quebec and I didn't get to drive it with the top down.Also it was only a test drive.Perhaps after driving it for a week and getting to know it's torque curve I will have a change of heart.
So please everyone just gear down a bit OK.

Nathalie asked me to post my first impressions so I did.

By the way I drive an Acura TL 2005(dynamique 6 speed manual with brembo's).This is a $43800 car and the Sky is $35480 so that's my comparison.But waiting on a 07 GT500 Shelby.
Nat's hubby:) :) :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
brentil said:
Come on guys, you don't have to attack him. He has his right to his opinion. If you don't like it start a discussion, not a counter flame attack and accusations of people being trolls. Yes we all love our cars, but that should not make us blind to its faults.

I'm removing all off topic posts to permit the real discussion that can occure from this topic.
This is rich:lol: you're not removing posts that are off topic, Mr Dicktator...your removing posts, (2 of mine) that peg you for the egotistical little OFF SITE buffoon that you are....Go back to the Solstice site....you don't even own a Sky:jester:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Carnut said:
This is rich:lol: you're not removing posts that are off topic, Mr Dicktator...your removing posts, (2 of mine) that peg you for the egotistical little OFF SITE buffoon that you are....Go back to the Solstice site....you don't even own a Sky:jester:
Uh...THEY'RE THE SAME CAR! Is it too much to ask to read a forum without having to sift through all the BS? Who cares what he drives, let's keep the forum informative and on-topic, which is what the mods attempt to do.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Carnut said:
This post is a complete embarrassment to the typical maturity level of this forum overall. A complete embarrassment. What a remarkable display of rude, offensive cowardice. The poster is an obvious coward hiding behind an anonymous persona where he doesn't have to take any responsibility for his outrageous, insulting, derogatory remarks. It is sad to see a post that brings the forum down to such a juvenile level.

Just completely embarrassing. I'm ashamed.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Carnut said:
I see you posted the "jester" smiley, but there are two overarching rules for this site, which you have breached:

1) civility
2) respect

You've also moved over the line regarding personal attacks, including namecalling. Normally, I'd just remove your post, but instead I'll leave this up and respond to it.

Brentil has done MORE FRIGGIN WORK THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW on BOTH of these sites. You owe him respect, whether you think so or not, and he's bigger than replying to your immature post, so that's why I will do so.

Brentil has more miles in a kappa platform product than you do, and he's autocrossed his a heck of a lot more than you, so I tend to think he prolly knows is way around this chassis. The very fact that you think these cars are so different betrays your ignorance about the platform in general.

Shape up, or I will escalate this.

This serves as a warning.

Next step, if you can't bring your posting respect in line, is you get to be "in moderation", a new level of skyroadster purgatory available to us moderators for posters like you. It's where we have to review each and every one of your posts before they can be posted. I'm sure you'll love that...

Spend a bit of time in the Forum Rules/Guidelines/Etiquette section and read about civility, personal attacks, namecalling, what it means to be "in moderation" and what it takes to get banned.

We now return you to your regular topic discussion, which is "nathaliebaby's husband's impression of the SKY".

·
Registered
73 Posts
guess i missed attack part ?

brentil said:

sounded more like sensible debate / different opinions and discussion......fair questions !! everything is "relative "

which one was the attack...... favorable or defense ? .... i sorta get a kick out the different perspectives..... maybe you took out "ugly" stuff... if so thankyou

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
zzzybil said:
sounded more like sensible debate / different opinions and discussion......fair questions !! everything is "relative "

which one was the attack...... favorable or defense ? .... i sorta get a kick out the different perspectives..... maybe you took out "ugly" stuff... if so thankyou
Many times you don't see the posts that are removed as a general course during any time period. Most outright disrespectful or potentially tangentially leading off topic hijacks, or obvious freeposts that don't advance the topic are removed.

The part where carnut calls Brentil a buffoon is NOT acceptable, EVEN if he meant it in jest because the "in jest" part hardly comes across well in a posted discussion.

There was a side discussion about "trolls" and "fudgies" - posts correctly removed (potential for inflamation and doesn't advance the topic). Another user was posting in a mocking tone toward one of the moderation staff - again, correctly removed (mocking someone is considered a personal attack, and is at the very least certainly not "respectful"). If you didn't see it, then Rick112, Crimson Avenger, Brentil, Fformula88, mceb were on the ball.

BTW - I'm leaving this discussion up explicitly for the example it serves. Lately, on both SolsticeForum and SkyRoadster, we've had a lot of people who have had their inappropriate posts deleted, and they are wondering why, demanding to know why certain escalating discussions were shut down, etc.

You're all getting a peek behind the curtain as to why things happen the way they do. That, and it's just the mood I'm in today... :lol:

Keep in mind, we are not compensated for moderating the sites, we do it because of our passion for the KAPPA products (yes, BOTH Solstice and SKY!!!), and helping to grow a RESPECTFUL and CIVIL place to foster discussion about the kappa cars and provide a place to get technical information for them. We've been on other forums that peter out, or wither, or turn in to flame war cities and those are no fun...

We're not hotheads, but we're not perfect, and appropriateness is somewhat subjective, so there is a bit of an art to it.

Thanks for noticing zzzybil, you prolly din't see the content that was removed earlier to facilitate the continued discussion along this topic.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thank You

I for one appreciate this forum and the labor of love performed by the Mods.

Thanks for making this an enjoyable experience ...

NOW LET'S GO DRIVING!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Me too....

bubbacc said:
I for one appreciate this forum and the labor of love performed by the Mods.

Thanks for making this an enjoyable experience ...

NOW LET'S GO DRIVING!

I also greatly appreciate the job the moderators do and the giving of their time and energy to keep this site running and a pleasurable experience. Even when I make a mistake, like I did yesterday. I posted a thread when I got excited after finding a "SKY" baseball cap for my wife which included a link to where I found it. Not to get off-topic (another mistake) but the point is a short time later I noticed my post was missing and there was no explination why or who did it. It didn't take long for me to realize (once I got more coffee in me ) that the link was to a "non-supporting vendor", even though I was surprised at that. It didn't matter, I was wrong and that's the point.

Thank you to all the moderators and the thankless job they do....

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
nathaliebaby said:
Nathalie asked me to post my first impressions so I did.

By the way I drive an Acura TL 2005(dynamique 6 speed manual with brembo's).This is a $43800 car and the Sky is $35480 so that's my comparison.But waiting on a 07 GT500 Shelby.
Nat's hubby:) :) :)
I for one am glad you posted your impressions. This car isn't for everyone, or there might be particular issues some have with the car. Unless those issues are expressed how is a company like GM ever supposed to know what needs to be improved to appeal to more people?

In the States the TL vs the Sky is a larger price difference. The base Sky vs a base TL is $10k USD without any options. Seems like the CAN exchange rate favored the TL over the Sky for prices making them a much closer buy for you then for someone here. The problem is being a Luxury Sedan it's of course going to be a much nicer car. You can get more car for less money also since you're not having to design folding roof structure, stiffer frame support, etc. Personally I sugest going and test driving a Z4, S2000, MX5, etc to get a good Roadster to Roadster comparison.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.