Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So as most of you know a drunk driver took out my nice turbo Camaro and it's going to the junk yard. Losing your hot rod that you spent a lot of time and money on can be quit depressing.

And then I start talking to my local dealer about ordering a Sky and they are telling me I'll be #65 on the list and I'm looking at 12-18 months out for a Red Line! That's all three northen Utah dealerships for 65 people and 32 waiting for R/Ls. They offered me a two year lease for an Ion instead and I don't want to drive an Ion for two years!

So the old car of my dreams is dead and the new car of my dreams is more then a year away! I know that's the price to pay to get such a desirable car but it sure does suck.

I'm looking at giving up and just getting a Charger, Grand P GXP, Mustang, or a used Solstice. :mad:

Does anyone know how I could find another dealer with a larger allocation and a smaller wait list? Any dealers out there that can get me a RL in less then a year (with out the tacky dealer add ons)?

Help me my friends before I go to the dark side!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Did you check on Ebay? In Ontario we have Autotrader.ca Have you looked on an equivelent site in your area? There is also an area here to post Skys for sale. That would be the first place I'd check.

Good luck.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Geez...might wanna ask us to walk on water...might be easier..... :D :banghead: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can handle waiting 12 months, I can not wait 18 months though!
What do you guys think, three dealers with 65 people on the list and 32 waiting for a redline and they are getting 3-5 a month now? How many people do you think will drop off the list?

I called St George and they only have 7 people who have put down deposits but they aren't taking any more deposits. They must be tiny. Boise is calling me back but they think I'm looking at a one year wait. Cheyenne/Fort Collins WY says the same thing.

All these dealers are saying that you can't even order a Red Line yet, is this true for the mid west?

I don't even want to think about calling Vegas or Cali.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Go OUTSIDE your area to get one........ Some have had GREAT luck just going a bit further away from home...SkyBaby-07

just a thought....

·
Super Moderator
11,550 Posts
bradyb said:
I don't even want to think about calling Vegas or Cali.
Why not?

While sure there may be more people waiting but I'm willing to bet So Cal dealers are getting a lot more allotments than other dealers. I know that the Orange County dealers have sold 38 Skys to date while there are some dealers that have not received one Sky yet.

Calling a major market area may not be a bad idea since they tend to get more allotments and your wait time may be shorter.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SkyBaby said:
Go OUTSIDE your area to get one........ Some have had GREAT luck just going a bit further away from home...SkyBaby-07

just a thought....
I did Baby,

Utah all four dealers, Nevada a couple dealers, Idaho all dealers, WY-dealers (didn't take too long), Arizona Phoenix and surrounding areas, and last of all Santa Fe and Albuquerque.

Called up Sante Fe, they are guessing I should get one of the first four Red Lines in December possibly (knock on wood), with no rediculous add ons! Talked to the GM for a while and unless he's totally dishonest it looks like I'll be in Sky heaven just in time for the worst winter weather ever here in Utah!

So there is hope, I can deal with 6-12 months.
:) :cheers: :) :cheers: :) :cheers: :) :cheers: :cool:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Robotech said:
Why not?

While sure there may be more people waiting but I'm willing to bet So Cal dealers are getting a lot more allotments than other dealers. I know that the Orange County dealers have sold 38 Skys to date while there are some dealers that have not received one Sky yet.

Calling a major market area may not be a bad idea since they tend to get more allotments and your wait time may be shorter.
Called the majority of them, $3,000 above MSRP was the norm with as much as $5,000 in required extras!

·
Registered
39 Posts
heres hoping the sky opens up

E-bay and autotrader both had some listed for sale.

also call the dealers back and see if they have a waiting list for people who change their minds after their cars come in.

Everyone has their price just depends how much you want to pay

·
Registered
68 Posts
In the Kansas city area I believe the redline waiting list is low, like about 5 to 7 in line. I'm number #4 and they are saying 6 to 8 months.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have my Sky listed in the For Sale section of the forums, it is also on AutoTrader and eBay

·
Registered
421 Posts
bradyb said:
Called the majority of them, $3,000 above MSRP was the norm with as much as $5,000 in required extras!
Just a thought...I don't see a lot of postings coming from far Pacific NW such as WA or OR area. Demand may not be as intense.

Gotta believe CA/NV is going to be one of Saturn's sweet spot markets for demand so your survey of waiting lists and MSRP+ pricing is probably accurate.

Timing for you is rough since while the waiting times seems to be getting a little shorter (as more cars roll through mfg they fill the backlogs - some on this site waiting since '05), however it's still 4-8 months which puts you in the dead of winter; when most of our babies should be in hibernation.

But don't give up, people do back out. While we love our Sky's people do back out (imagine). My dealer called yesterday about a Midnight Blue that just became avail 'cuz of a cancel!

I'm waiting on a Red Line but the thought of jumping in one today and having the whole summer is awfully tempting (still considering).

Whatever you decide do it fairly soon 'cuz in my opinion, as more cars hit the road, more orders will get placed and the lists will only get longer over the summer.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
deluke said:
brentil, I'm surprised your selling your Solstice.
He is getting the GXP!!! :cheers:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts