Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came from the dealer and they noticed that my fender on the driver's side was cracked. In looking at it I don't think a lift did it. I think it is a stress crack caused by either improper assembly, defective panel or the car is flexing. I've had the car 2 weeks and have 1200 miles on it and the only time it was on a lift was prior to delivery and they were very careful. My background is automotive quality so I feel comfortable in my analysis. It was found this morning at a sister dealership and I have sent a photo to my dealer and asked that they contact GM for indepth research on this before it gets out of hand. Any of you looked under your car and found a crack under the front fender behind the wheel?

·
Registered
277 Posts
No, but I will look tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just got under the car with a flashlight. All is clear:thumbs:

My car has been up on the lift 3 times. My service manager did comment that it must go up a certain way to avoid damage. Good luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is correct, the lift has to be the full drive up lift versus the under-car lift or damage can occur. Our dealership only has one lift that they will use on our car and that it the alignment lift.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
lchrisns said:
This is correct, the lift has to be the full drive up lift versus the under-car lift or damage can occur. Our dealership only has one lift that they will use on our car and that it the alignment lift.
What? How would they change the brakes/tires/suspension parts? There has to be a way for it to go onto a regular lift- unless, of course, I don't understand what you mean and have just announced my extreme lack of technical know-how to all and sundry.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
reedred said:
What? How would they change the brakes/tires/suspension parts? There has to be a way for it to go onto a regular lift- unless, of course, I don't understand what you mean and have just announced my extreme lack of technical know-how to all and sundry.
You can on the alignment rack... it is just that there is not much clearance between the tire and the lift... but can be done.

I am thinking though that there are lift points on the SKY, I will look for em on the demo... it may be that the techs are not putting the lift in far enough. Like they are used to a location and have not looked. I know with my current car, they actually get on their knees to put the the lift into place. They don't want to damge my lights or painted rocker panel moldings.

·
Registered
176 Posts
please hang in there,remember it`s a first year production car.or be strong. stand tall shout,kick and scream.it`s your hard earned money and you don`t or should not be going through this.to many on this site are closing their eyes,to more than the usual amount of problems.i repeat,i have my money down on the redline and i have 5or6 months to get the problems down to a normal level.those who question will get results and a better sky,

·
Registered
40 Posts
if the car can't be lifted...ie..supported by the frame like most or all other cars without damage occuring then there is a real problem here. hope no one drives their car on unlevel roads or has to go over a speed bump or even want to go for a nice spirted ride in a windy road...cars must flex......design flaw???

·
Registered
176 Posts
talk to twirp...he thinks every thing is just a minor...you know first year production and all that.think there might be some problems here.maybe some of you now might open your eyes just a we bit.booo

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
bubblehead1965 said:
if the car can't be lifted...ie..supported by the frame like most or all other cars without damage occuring then there is a real problem here. hope no one drives their car on unlevel roads or has to go over a speed bump or even want to go for a nice spirted ride in a windy road...cars must flex......design flaw???
How about not putting the lift blocks in the right place? If the mechanic cracks a fender I think that the dealership will take care of it . I don't jump to the conclusion of design flaw without seeing where the lift points are and since I don't have a car yet I would hold my thoughts on lifting the Sky until I have a Sky.. After all the mechanic is just like everybody else. Skip...:cool:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
glock919 said:
talk to twirp...he thinks every thing is just a minor...you know first year production and all that.think there might be some problems here.maybe some of you now might open your eyes just a we bit.booo
Glock919 if the slight flaws of the Sky get you all worked up to the point that you get why oh why do you post? I don't understand , if something is seriously wrong with the Sky don't you think the engineers that started all this have started some answersto it? Or would you rather stand over their shoulder to make them do it right? Tell me Glock919 what usefull purpose do you have repeating the same Flaw Flaw Flaw over and over . I don't have to put up with your Flawed personality . So get over it already.... Skip... Calm Calm ......:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
glock919 said:
It is not very helpful keep repeating the same statements over and over again, or starting new threads just to point to those comments.

Our eyes are open. :eek:

I, along with most members, am here to learn about the car. I am very excited about getting one!

I also understand that no matter what car I purchase - the SKY, a Lexus, Mercedes, or a even Yugo - there is always the possibility of having issues pop up at any time. That is why the cars are covered by a warranty. The dealers are not locking the doors and disappearing as soon as we drive away.

I don't have my eyes closed, I know full well that things might not be perfect. No car is perfect, no matter who makes it - even if it has been made for decades.

:rant: BTW - Is it me, or have we really been flooded with redundant posts lately (Flaw..., cute..., chick car..., etc)? Funny how these types of posts have all started at the same time...

Just curious...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now can we get back to the real question? How many of you have cracked fenders? I now know of 3 of us so far. One in NC, one in Maine and one in IN.:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
07 Chili Pepper said:
Now can we get back to the real question? How many of you have cracked fenders? I now know of 3 of us so far. One in NC, one in Maine and one in IN.:thumbs:
Is saturn giving you full satisfaction on your cracked parts? I don't think it is a design flaw just a part that fell through the crack at inspection at the factory. No pun intended. If saturn does not give you full satisfaction then we on this forum will want to know. Skip.....:cool: :cool: :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
So far a few thousand Sky's have been made, plus 15,000+ Sol's, and I have now seen one reported post of a cracked fender. Glock, that is not a sign of a problem of epidemic proportions. Before crucifying the car for reliability trouble, it would help to find out why it is cracked. Many new cars of all makes are often damaged in the shipping process every month. Sounds to me like this could be such a problem.

There have not even been enough problems with the Solstice seen on enough vehicles to warrent one recall. These cars are for the most part very reliable, with a few exhibiting some problems. Lets not overreact and throw the baby out with the bath water.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excellent dealer

Skip said:
Is saturn giving you full satisfaction on your cracked parts? I don't think it is a design flaw just a part that fell through the crack at inspection at the factory. No pun intended. If saturn does not give you full satisfaction then we on this forum will want to know. Skip.....:cool: :cool: :)
I bought the car from the dealership in Greenwood (Indy south) but I'm getting service at their sister dealership in Fishers (Indy north) and they have been great. They had to keep the car overnight twice already and they gave me a loaner car each time without me asking. I live an hour north of them.:cheers:

When I had the problem with the throttle body they even showed me the part and explained the problem. I am a retired Field Service Eng. from a major supplier to Ford and GM so I was very interested in the details.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
twopatels said:
do you think speed bumps could cause problems?
I don.t think speed bumps cause Cracks in panels . I have an inkling that it was done on delivery. If you ever watch them load and tie down a car on the transporter you would see the driver chain them down pretty tight and sometimes the end of the chain might wack the lower panel pretty hard. Enough to crack it , you bet. But the alternative is for the auto to bounce around and cause different kinds of damage. JMHO. Skip.. too early on Sunday....:cheers: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts