Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of drivers and passenger side redline fenders. 2008 Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also need to repair or replace both sides. Have the prices for the OEM panels gone up significantly? What is the current thinking on the best solution?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I assume you mean the fender liners rather than the fenders? I reinforced mine with a fiberglass repair kit and they've done great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean the actual fender panels behind the wheels that taper into the rocker panels. Both are cracked and have chunks missing from a carlift or speed bump gone wrong. Just bought the car and love it. Need good used ones or aftermarket. New ones are out of the budget. Thx

·
Registered
579 Posts
I feel your pain as I am in the same predicament. I cannot justify $400 for a new front fender plus the cost of paintwork. Maybe I will get lucky and someone else will damage the fender, replacing it at no expense to me. ;)

I bought our 2007 Base Sky early this year with a hole in our right front fender large enough to get both my hands up inside. The adjacent fender liner was also damaged of which I replaced. I used a piece of the old liner to make a patch which looks horrid but works and fits exceptionally well. Fortunately it is not noticed until you look up from below. People who see our Sky say it's a beauty.....the patch really isn't seen. You can barely see the stainless steel screws when standing far back, but I painted them a matching color so even they are nearly invisible.

It would have been a different situation if the damage to my fender was noticeable. I would spend the money on a new fender and paint.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Fenders aren't that expensive guys...

·
Registered
17,617 Posts
I have one passenger side fender brand new in silver pearl....but 400 dollars is my price and u must live in Florida. No shipping.

·
Registered
579 Posts
How does the vent insert get mounted to the DDM fender? I thought it is hot-melted into the OEM fender.

If I bought an OEM fender, I think it includes that insert pre-mounted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How does the vent insert get mounted to the DDM fender? I thought it is hot-melted into the OEM fender.

If I bought an OEM fender, I think it includes that insert pre-mounted.
Nope. Good old fashioned double sided tape. I'm happy with the one that I got from DDM.

·
7,051 Posts
DDM Works sells new quarter panels for under $200 each.
You get what you pay for: Those fenders are low grade but for quick fix I guess we can't complain. You would need to use parts from your damage fenders and send out to paint.
Means of mounting onto car structure: Double side tape! :eek:
If you can't find new or used OEM fenders, Norm's Fiberglass is the way to go......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Both Fenders or quarter panels (what is the actual correct part name??) are cracked on the bottom. The damage is not visible, but if you run your hand along the bottom you can feel the cracks. One of them is missing a small chuck of plastic. Question: is this an urgent fix? Is the plastic stable or will the cracks move up and become visible from the outside of the car? I’m thinking of just epoxying them in the back to restore structural stability. I’d prefer not to mess with the paint. It’s the rare 2009 EVENING BLUE color. I’m worried about a good match.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Both Fenders or quarter panels (what is the actual correct part name??) are cracked on the bottom. The damage is not visible, but if you run your hand along the bottom you can feel the cracks. One of them is missing a small chuck of plastic. Question: is this an urgent fix? Is the plastic stable or will the cracks move up and become visible from the outside of the car? I’m thinking of just epoxying them in the back to restore structural stability. I’d prefer not to mess with the paint. It’s the rare 2009 EVENING BLUE color. I’m worried about a good match.
Remove the two front fenders, clean their back-sides well with a soapy solution, then de-grease the areas of reinforcement using a solvent like lacquer thinner, then apply a structural reinforcing product. What type of product? Maybe something like JB weld. The right product applied on the side opposite the paintwork will strengthen them and surely prevent the cracks from growing.

I also recommend snapping in lifting pucks along the side rails for service centers to see and use instead of attempting to lift under the fenders.

·
Registered
17,617 Posts
JB weld is the way to go...but first drill a small hole where the crack line ends. This will prevent the crack from spreading...You may wish to take your fender with the missing piece to a body shop...they do have plastic weld.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts