Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been doing some reading on the Flexible-Fuel Vehicles and how Saab has developed a more efficient turbo-charged engine running E85 mixture. The E85 burns at 105 octane and can produce higher performance in a turbo-charged application. Although the fuel ecomony of the E85 is 30% less efficient than the same amount of gasoline it may become the choice of fuel for turbo-charged vehicles very soon.

Imagine a high-powered Saturn Sky running on 85% domestic fuel. Maybe we can finally start stickin it back to the middle east for all the crap they have put us through the last 30+ years on oil. Say it with me, U S A, U S A...

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
About damn time. I thought I was going to have to take up residency over there to get lower fuel prices. :willy:

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Hey Delnari... Have you heard from Jill? I called her yesterday and left her a message but I have not got any response yet... :eek:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Delnari said:
Have been doing some reading on the Flexible-Fuel Vehicles and how Saab has developed a more efficient turbo-charged engine running E85 mixture. The E85 burns at 105 octane and can produce higher performance in a turbo-charged application. Although the fuel ecomony of the E85 is 30% less efficient than the same amount of gasoline it may become the choice of fuel for turbo-charged vehicles very soon.

Imagine a high-powered Saturn Sky running on 85% domestic fuel. Maybe we can finally start stickin it back to the middle east for all the crap they have put us through the last 30+ years on oil. Say it with me, U S A, U S A...

Hmmmm.... It is nice to think we are self sufficient but ethanol creates a negative return in fuel management. First of all it takes fuel to process it. Second, it is dependant upon a rapidly decreasing resource (farming in the us...yes it is). The remaining farming in the US is depenadant upon shipping (petrolium) and pesticides (oil based). Ethanol is way less efficient (30% decrease in return). The price is the same if not more. Is it a resource? yes. Will it provide an adequate financial substitute? no. Sorry. Wish for a viablr hydrogen future.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
For what I have read is that once production gets larger the cost of manufacturer will drop. As far as growing crops for it; the government can step in and release larger quotas to farmers that would increase the production here domestically.

Yes, switching from gasoline/diesel to E85/Bio-Diesel will cost initially more to manufacturer but should prove about the same price if not cheaper in a few years after the we make the commitment to switch. Engines and fuel systems will be engineered better to handle these fuels. JMO.

I'm a little bias though, 30-45 percent of my current driving is done on a motorcycle. It's my way of sticking it back to the oil companies of the world.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The Redbull Solstice drift car uses E85 actually. I'm pretty sure it involved a lot of work though.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
vfx said:
Hmmmm.... It is nice to think we are self sufficient but ethanol creates a negative return in fuel management. First of all it takes fuel to process it. Second, it is dependant upon a rapidly decreasing resource (farming in the us...yes it is). The remaining farming in the US is depenadant upon shipping (petrolium) and pesticides (oil based). Ethanol is way less efficient (30% decrease in return). The price is the same if not more. Is it a resource? yes. Will it provide an adequate financial substitute? no. Sorry. Wish for a viablr hydrogen future.
Hydrogen is even worse.... biofuels are the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
11,617 Posts
vfx said:
Second, it is dependant upon a rapidly decreasing resource (farming in the us...yes it is).
I hate to say it but I would think that the number of farms, productive ones at that, would go up with the US becoming more dependant on E85. Think about it, there was a time when discovering oil on your property was a bad thing until we figured out something to do with it. With the fuel thirst society we have, farmers would probably love to see E85 take off and you might even see a resurgance in American Farming as a viable and profitable venture.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Delnari said:

You do live in a red state so, you may have voted for that lame brain, george bush. "USA USA" Are you a cheerleader or something like that?
Every morning when I wake up, I give thanks that I was not born in texas, then I give thanks that I was born in the north east and that I live in NY.so what does "USA USA" haveto do with how much extra zoom you get out of a Saab 9 5 turbo? Y'all hurry back to see us now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm sorry, my reply was nasty, The benifits of ethanol are obvious as are the negatives. I simply despise this clown who calls himself president and I take every chance to say so.
sorry, I do apologise

·
Registered
225 Posts
greenhornet,

Thank you for the apology. I'm from Texas, and the state is near and dear to my heart. Just because you don't like a person, please do not blame a whole region.

·
Registered
234 Posts
big problem with declining of farming is population growth.

my family being in the dairy business and farming, we can grow crops for ourselves, but having an alternative place for our corn to go would help prices along, you have more options there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Keep in mind that most farms don't produce "produce" that is conductive with ethanol. (A shrinking market that is wideky unsuported by the government) Also, all farms are dependent upon pesticides which are all petrolium based. We need a wider solution. Much wider.

Jordan said:
big problem with declining of farming is population growth.

my family being in the dairy business and farming, we can grow crops for ourselves, but having an alternative place for our corn to go would help prices along, you have more options there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
etw98, I never had any negative feelings about Texas or Texans in general, that is until I visited Dallas on business. Everything was going well until our host, the distributor of our products in the south west, introduced our team as the "factory boys from England and New York". He then went on and on ad nauseum about Texas and Texans as the BIGGEST AND THE BEST, etc, etc. etc. until I was about to throw up. Did I mention his remarks were also peppered with all sorts of nasties about NEW YORK and the north east and ENGLAND as well. Out of six on our marketing team. only two were British and the rest of us were Americans from NEW JERSEY. :D

The crowd of about 70 dealers were all laughing and "eeeehawing" at our hosts Texas trash humor, we all smiled politely :brentil: accepting this attempt at humor as being a local thing. Finally our team leaders turn came and he walked to the mike and said..."thanks Gene, ladies and gentlemen, IT'S NICE TO BE HERE IN ALASKA! Our entire team broke out in laughter, stood up and applauded Ed, our team leader. It was then I looked out on the sea of Texas faces and was horrified to see not so much as ONE SMILE. I saw hostility and anger, was this the ledgendary Texas hospitality?, the "good old boy" Texas sence of humor? :mad:

That evening some of the younger guys took the five of our team, minis Ed who went to Gene's ranch to discuss business,out to some famous Dallas club with a Texas theme. A huge, beautiful piace where most everyone were dressed as cow boys and girls. There were several really good country bands and singers. People were square dancing and having a great time.The Texas bar b que was great and beer is beer.:cheers: :nopity: Our table was quite another matter. We were verbally asaulted about NY all night long. I never heard so much bullshit about what a terrible place NY is from so many people who never set foot outside of Texas.

In the name if political and diplomatic correctness, shall I say, from that visit which lasted 4 LONG, LONG DAYS. you could not count me on the rolls of Texas boosters. :angel: whew.

george bush I would despise if he were from NY, or even Bosnia but I can't help think his texas roots perhaps were a contributing factor in his obvious case of terminal dumbass. :jester: I hope you can understand how I feel and nothing personal is meant.:rolleyes:
ps: this took place in 1970
I have not been to Texas since.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello people!
I could not sit silently any longer! I have a fairly strong feeling about this subject...
Ethanol...keep in mind there are a few way to end up with it!
First is the one that people realize and I am stronly oppose and I feel as soon as whitehouse wigs gonna change this card house collapse. as it was stated here...u spent MORE money to make a gallon of etho vs selling price... presently it makes sence only because of the government subsudy.. So as much as I think agriculture is important , but growing corn fot etho ...well in my opinion not with current technology...
another way that I think is awesome way, but technology not qite yet, but getting really close: SYNGAS. with the current Pattents there are technology that can be implemented to convert say SOLID PUBLIC WASTE to SYNGAS! minimize landfill, run on a less efficient fuel, but have no dependency on middle east crued!how about another way? COAL? Wyoming got i think enough caol to keep everyone happy and driving... what's the hold up? well big scale technology...look at africa....they get by! as far as i can see or the ball has been tossed to the oil industry....heck a present price of etho is higher then crude!
As far as remarks abot our president... I am a hardcore repulican, and i voted for bush, but at this point i am ready to shoot myself in the foot for that...his international policy at least for me doesn't computes...oh well i still can be a proud american even if i disagree with what happening in the white house...elections will be here soon... :)]

I didn't mean to offend anyone, just stated my opinon....just a little background if anyone cares... I am a naturalized us citizen, work as industrial engineer; play at refineries, but lately designs and pilot ethanol plans

ilber<- a grease monkey at heart

·
Registered
234 Posts
ilber said:
Hello people!
I could not sit silently any longer! I have a fairly strong feeling about this subject...
Ethanol...keep in mind there are a few way to end up with it!
First is the one that people realize and I am stronly oppose and I feel as soon as whitehouse wigs gonna change this card house collapse. as it was stated here...u spent MORE money to make a gallon of etho vs selling price... presently it makes sence only because of the government subsudy.. So as much as I think agriculture is important , but growing corn fot etho ...well in my opinion not with current technology...
another way that I think is awesome way, but technology not qite yet, but getting really close: SYNGAS. with the current Pattents there are technology that can be implemented to convert say SOLID PUBLIC WASTE to SYNGAS! minimize landfill, run on a less efficient fuel, but have no dependency on middle east crued!how about another way? COAL? Wyoming got i think enough caol to keep everyone happy and driving... what's the hold up? well big scale technology...look at africa....they get by! as far as i can see or the ball has been tossed to the oil industry....heck a present price of etho is higher then crude!
As far as remarks abot our president... I am a hardcore repulican, and i voted for bush, but at this point i am ready to shoot myself in the foot for that...his international policy at least for me doesn't computes...oh well i still can be a proud american even if i disagree with what happening in the white house...elections will be here soon... :)]

I didn't mean to offend anyone, just stated my opinon....just a little background if anyone cares... I am a naturalized us citizen, work as industrial engineer; play at refineries, but lately designs and pilot ethanol plans

ilber<- a grease monkey at heart
Do you like... type really fast?

Bush is as liberal as a Republican can come... but he was better than the alternative.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts