Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have not been following along, I bought the RL about 2.5 years ago exactly as we were looking for in overall very good shape at 60k miles, but it had cosmetic issues (and it turns out some mechanical issues too). I've been lucky enough to be able to do the cosmetic and mechanical repairs myself up to this point and have checked almost all of my boxes. However, body and paint work is a skill I have yet to learn so I'm having a locally owned body shop handle that work. I dropped the car off last week with the understanding it would be about a week for them to do the work. There was a nice gash on the back bumper, a bunch of door dings and dents, curb damage to the front bumper, and rock chips galore. And then a whole bunch of additional rock chips were added on the trip to NASSAM thanks to them resurfacing several of the rural highways we took on route. Thanks Nebraska DOT!

So basically, the whole car is being repaired and painted other than the trunk lid and the two front fenders. Originally they had quoted to replace the front bumper cover as it would be faster and a better repair to fix the rock and curb damage. The local Chevy dealer supposedly had one in stock and they would have it the next day after ordering it. I was actually really surprised to hear this, but of course the dealer ended up not being able to find it in their inventory after about a week so the shop informed me they had to instead repair the front bumper cover, this ended up leading to a bit of delay as it's now taken about 2 weeks to get the car done. I'm bummed about the front bumper though as I was hoping to toss the old one in the attic in case of a possible future accident or if someone else needed one down the road. Obviously body parts are getting harder and harder to find.

The shop called today to say they are reassembling and buffing and polishing today. They will be ready for me to pick it up Monday morning. I'm getting really excited to see the final result and to share with group.

·
Premium Member
Black 2008 Saturn Sky Redline (manual)
146 Posts
This is exactly what I would like to eventually do to mine. Mine has tons of rock chips, several scratches, and some small dings here and there. If you don't mind me asking, what did the job end up setting you back?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is exactly what I would like to eventually do to mine. Mine has tons of rock chips, several scratches, and some small dings here and there. If you don't mind me asking, what did the job end up setting you back?
No not at all, I had anticipated that would be asked sooner or later. The final total ended up being right at $3,800 and some change. 23.4 hours of body labor and 24.6 hours of paint plus about a grand in materials. I got different quotes from all local shops (no chains) and their price was actually the highest by a couple hundred, but had the best reviews and they could actually schedule me the soonest. It had been just below $4k with the replacement bumper, but after that was removed and they added extra body labor instead to repair the front bumper it balanced out a couple hundred less.

Overall I had originally budgeted about $3k to do the work one of these days, but I actually was able to get very decent compensation from insurance for the new rock chips picked up heading to NASSAM to supplement the cost.

·
Premium Member
Black 2008 Saturn Sky Redline (manual)
146 Posts
That's actually pretty reasonable! I would have thought it would have been much higher. If I did go to that much effort, I would look into PPF at least on the areas prone to rock chips. Would probably add another few thousand to the bill I would imagine.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got a call that it's ready to pick up! I'll be heading over after work to pick it up and I'll get some photos to post. The shop did say they were unable to reuse the Saturn emblem on the rear as it was damaged during removal and prep to reuse so they have ordered a replacement and it should be here in about a week if I don't mind driving around a while without it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Curious why did you not choose to paint the whole thing and go with a different color, since there wasn't much you didn't repaint? That's what I would have done to really make it stand out.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
Curious why did you not choose to paint the whole thing and go with a different color, since there wasn't much you didn't repaint? That's what I would have done to really make it stand out.
Changing the color of a car can be extremely expensive to do correctly.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wife and I both really love the bluestone color. I searched across the country to find a bluestone RL that checked all of the boxes back when we were shopping. I found this one 6 hours away and we drove it back that weekend. Although I enjoy bright exotic colors when they are original, I'm a bit of purists when it comes to cars and keeping them mostly stock and prefer subtle modifications that are period correct. What gets me really excited at a car show, is finding an older car and it being all or mostly original. The flashy cars all tricked out just honestly don't do it for me. I respect their expression and what they like, it's just not what I want. I was also the kid who kept the box for all of his toys growing up too so that probably says something. I still played with all of those toys, I just carefully placed them back when I was done.

So honestly, I'm not normally a fan of paint changes. They are very rarely done to a standard that you couldn't tell. A full color change is also a lot more involved than getting paint and body work done to the same color. Even though they sprayed edge to edge on all of the panels. They also didn't paint the jambs or remove all of the panels to get to all of the parts you don't really see. It's a lot more labor to do this to do it right and the cost is exponentially higher, at least double/triple what I paid to have it done to a standard I would remotely of been happy with. Besides, bluestone already stands out. GM has never used this color on any other vehicle and they only made approximately 2100 of them total. Having a car that is 1 of 2100 a paint color is pretty cool really. Unless another bluestone Sky/Opel GT pulls up you will never see this color car anywhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts