Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Welcome to the owners club. Nice pick up, low miles, little abuse, great condition.
The other forum members have already told you about replacing the old tires here.
Makes a big difference to the handling performance to this small car.

Changing out all the old fluids is another good idea even with such low mileage.
Bench mark for your history of ownership at this odometer reading point going forward.
One other thing here is to check the battery? Old date?
Been on a tender/maintainer for it's hanger life hibernation?
Our cars do funny things with weak or dying batteries. Check/seat all fuses too?
New replacement battery will take the fear out of-click click sound happening to you.

Keep an eye your temp range for awhile the next 500 miles or so-
should be near 194-205 range in the DIC or close to that.
The water pump should not be a problem now, but any varying temp changes might indicate an air bubble in the system that needs to be purged to even out any
fluctuations you might have. After sitting for a while it might happen just saying.
A stuck thermostat might happen after sitting for many months maybe too?
New fluid change every 5 years helps.

This is a fun car to drive as you will soon find out, it is meant to be driven on a regular basis, not left in a hanger.
Permagrin. Get use to that, a reaction that happens to owners face muscles when driving the Kappa.

Be very careful when out and about among the masses, as sometimes- they can not see you or the car in their mirrors.
Expect the unexpected with the attention factor you will now be receiving.
Gawked over at every stoplight, gas station fill up- trust me here.
Front nose crunch, up under the chin facia is common almost unavoidable.

The road trip, over nighter to the Keys. 2 for 1 happy hour special price drinks await you.
Pre planned or spur of the moment in this car can be serious fun an awakening of the soul. Decompression mode and a little social distancing too.
Gas tank filled up-check, cash from the ATM- check.
Small clothes bag err smaller bag for limited truck space available with the top down- sort of check and we're off towards the horizon.

Blue Skies Adventures. Part of my U-Tube channel name along with LAC Films.
It has taken ahold of me in my last 7 years of ownership road trip adventures.

LAC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Welcome to the owners club. Nice pick up, low miles, little abuse, great condition.
The other forum members have already told you about replacing the old tires here.
Makes a big difference to the handling performance to this small car.

Changing out all the old fluids is another good idea even with such low mileage.
Bench mark for your history of ownership at this odometer reading point going forward.
One other thing here is to check the battery? Old date?
Been on a tender/maintainer for it's hanger life hibernation?
Our cars do funny things with weak or dying batteries. Check/seat all fuses too?
New replacement battery will take the fear out of-click click sound happening to you.

Keep an eye your temp range for awhile the next 500 miles or so-
should be near 194-205 range in the DIC or close to that.
The water pump should not be a problem now, but any varying temp changes might indicate an air bubble in the system that needs to be purged to even out any
fluctuations you might have. After sitting for a while it might happen just saying.
A stuck thermostat might happen after sitting for many months maybe too?
New fluid change every 5 years helps.

This is a fun car to drive as you will soon find out, it is meant to be driven on a regular basis, not left in a hanger.
Permagrin. Get use to that, a reaction that happens to owners face muscles when driving the Kappa.

Be very careful when out and about among the masses, as sometimes- they can not see you or the car in their mirrors.
Expect the unexpected with the attention factor you will now be receiving.
Gawked over at every stoplight, gas station fill up- trust me here.
Front nose crunch, up under the chin facia is common almost unavoidable.

The road trip, over nighter to the Keys. 2 for 1 happy hour special price drinks await you.
Pre planned or spur of the moment in this car can be serious fun an awakening of the soul. Decompression mode and a little social distancing too.
Gas tank filled up-check, cash from the ATM- check.
Small clothes bag err smaller bag for limited truck space available with the top down- sort of check and we're off towards the horizon.

Blue Skies Adventures. Part of my U-Tube channel name along with LAC Films.
It has taken ahold of me in my last 7 years of ownership road trip adventures.

LAC
LAC, WOW! Excellent article and great advice man! I will monitor instruments and make sure everything stays in the green once it’s on the road. Next step is to research the jacking process so I can tackle the maintenance. Thank you!

·
Registered
899 Posts
LAC, WOW! Excellent article and great advice man! I will monitor instruments and make sure everything stays in the green once it’s on the road. Next step is to research the jacking process so I can tackle the maintenance. Thank you!
No problem, you're welcome. I tend to type way to much sometimes when I get to over explaining things, it is my curse but... better to cover all the bases while I'm online if I can.

We were all new to the Kappa at one time or another just as you are now.
Lot of knowledge here among our owners club, as you will find out.
Pay attention to them, they will stand out among the crowd here with their advice on solutions to your new found concerns/pending problems with the Kappa.

Researching the jacking up process- many threads here on that subject.
Pictures are helpful, as is a visual inspection of your under carriage, lower front quarter panels and their current condition. Feel first, look close, then take pictures. Before/After
just in case insurance asks for proof before repair estimation process ensues.

Stress cracks can form on these front quarter panels on our cars. Vibration and weakness.
They can be badly cracked by improper lifting, be it dealer stupidity or Fast Eddie at the local tire shop. They can be expensive to fix by the body shop guys too.
Even by the owner not knowing how to lift our car properly.
Inspect them before work is done and after all work is completed.

Check our other site-the Solstice forum too.
Many of our owners cross join, and post on both forums.
IF you can not find an answer to your question in the search feature,
ask away- you'll get a response from our group sooner or later to the issue at hand.
Then you can tackle some maintenance on your own from the other owners here that they
have done the same maintenance, and what for you DIY'er to look out for in the future.
You -Tube videos can be helpful as opposed to typed text.

Problems to watch out for: Expensive stuff.
Water pump and uneven temps. Thermostat & HPFP with the odd fan control
going bad on "some" cars.
Cracked or broken front quarter panels.
Expensive Battery. Fabric & frame of the Top.
Motor. Some parts are cheap, other parts not so much.
Body panel repair. Varies by shop & region.

Problems for you the owner: Smiling way too much after recent driving adventures.
Your family and friends maybe the odd co-worker will wonder what has gotten into you lately. HE is smiling way to much these days - not humanly possible for anyone to do that.

However we owners have our gem that makes us different than the rest of the motoring public. Shhhh... it's our secret.

LAC
U-Tube: LAC Films

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Michelins are probably the best if you are a hard driver, but there are other options almost as good for less money if you are a 'normal' driver. The mentioned Sumitomos have a good rep and I have experience with the BFG G-force Comp 2.

Be aware that you want 245x45-18 and Michelin has recently deleted that size in the Pilot Super Sports although you can get them in all season. Some of the guys here should have some up to the minute reports on the current alternatives.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Michelins are probably the best if you are a hard driver, but there are other options almost as good for less money if you are a 'normal' driver. The mentioned Sumitomos have a good rep and I have experience with the BFG G-force Comp 2.

Be aware that you want 245x45-18 and Michelin has recently deleted that size in the Pilot Super Sports although you can get them in all season. Some of the guys here should have some up to the minute reports on the current alternatives.
Hey thanks wspohn, I haven’t gotten to the research yet, I’m so busy with my shop.
I sure appreciate the first hand experience and advice on the Sky.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey thanks wspohn, I haven’t gotten to the research yet, I’m so busy with my shop.
I sure appreciate the first hand experience and advice on the Sky.
Ordered a set of Michelin’s Monday. I can’t even think of dropping the car off to have them installed, so I made an adapter for my floor jack yesterday. Had a piece of scrap billet that was just right. A few minutes on the lathe produced a secure adapter for my jack. I will remove the wheels and drop them off for installation.
Then the worry starts about wheel damage 😳. The Sky sits so low I had to drive onto a piece of 1 inch plywood, then the jack fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
You can pick up a set of the BMW lifting pucks and instal them permanently on the jacking points.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Step one: Replace those tires before they blow out on you. They may look OK on the outside, but they will be dry rotted and cracked on the inside, an accident waiting to happen.

:thumbs:

Wat kind of tired u reccomend? That are very reasonable?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You'll have to get recomendations from others, as I'm not real in touch with what's currently available.

:thumbs:

Dave, I just installed my wheels yesterday after having new Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires mounted.
I have not driven it yet, but plan to this weekend. They certainly were not cheap, $1223.00, but I wanted the best and always buy Michelin.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Dave, I just installed my wheels yesterday after having new Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires mounted.
I have not driven it yet, but plan to this weekend. They certainly were not cheap, $1223.00, but I wanted the best and always buy Michelin.
You'll get your money's worth out of those Michelins. I spent less on different tires but added a new
battery while the wheels were off the car. Cost me north of $1100.
Road contact patch for any car/truck starts there. Steering, braking, traction.
Car already sticks like glue but with a new set of shoes on her G forces now come into play!
The planned drive this weekend, you will understand what I'm talking about.
With your current low miles you shouldn't need an alignment, but after new tires are installed
you might need to check that after the car settles?
Again with low miles your brakes pads/operation should be ok, outside of the fluid change?
The steering & suspension should be good also, after your drive this weekend. PS fluid change is suggested.

Speaking of driving the Sky, just took mine on a great cruise yesterday.
About 2 1/2 hours worth. 75 degrees, clear blue skies no humidity, the planned route I had intended to take was thrown away after finding a new wonderful little twisty road I found. Such is life as a Kappa owner.

Fall colors, some twisties, some pucker factor, old stone houses, and with beautiful
fall weather what's not to like here? Point A to B. Explore an unknown road near you.
I'm doing some editing now for my You-Tube site posting this weekend:
Sharpsburg Run- along the C&O canal & Potomac river near the Antietam battlefield.
Nothing special, just a nice drive on a fall day- smiling away.
Part of the Backroads of Washington County series I have been doing.
Might be my last posting for this season to LAC Films.

Glad to see you getting your Sky ready for this weekend's adventure tour.
Try not to smile too much now!

LAC

·
Registered
210 Posts
Michelin’s are great tires..... well worth the price of admission. Being a former Bridgestone/Firestone employees that still gets a discount, I opted for the QuietTracks.... V rated 80,000 mile all season. I’ve had them on our Crosstrek and put 30,000 miles on them.... do well on wet, dry and snow.... before putting them on the Sky. I do realize the Subaru is AWD while the Sky is RWD.... but for me it gave me real world experience in my choice.
I could have gone with a higher performance Potenza, but it didn’t fit my driving style. For me our Sky is a weekend Cruiser.....Old guy and lovely wife.... just out for a drive.
However, your results may vary.... 😎

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thank
Michelin’s are great tires..... well worth the price of admission. Being a former Bridgestone/Firestone employees that still gets a discount, I opted for the QuietTracks.... V rated 80,000 mile all season. I’ve had them on our Crosstrek and put 30,000 miles on them.... do well on wet, dry and snow.... before putting them on the Sky. I do realize the Subaru is AWD while the Sky is RWD.... but for me it gave me real world experience in my choice.
I could have gone with a higher performance Potenza, but it didn’t fit my driving style. For me our Sky is a weekend Cruiser.....Old guy and lovely wife.... just out for a drive.
However, your results may vary.... 😎
THANKS fellas! Looking forward to a drive with my gal, low chance of rain this weekend her in Melbourne Florida. Amazing how dirty a black car gets sitting without its cover a few days...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
We had a fantastic first trip in our new Sky! Flawless performance, and super fun to drive.
We drove close to 100 miles round trip, with several stops including the Old Fish House for lunch on the river! The long throw clutch, long travel throttle, and short throw shifter took fifteen minutes to master.
The EcoTec seems to have two torque curves, one relatively low, and another quite high, I’m assuming due to the V V T. Its manageable once you get used to it. We had the AC on the entire trip, which made it quite comfortable with the top down in the 90’s. Only problem was the trunk button stopped working on the third time, but still works with the key fob. Will investigate this morning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
We had a fantastic first trip in our new Sky! Flawless performance, and super fun to drive.
We drove close to 100 miles round trip, with several stops including the Old Fish House for lunch on the river! The long throw clutch, long travel throttle, and short throw shifter took fifteen minutes to master.
The EcoTec seems to have two torque curves, one relatively low, and another quite high, I’m assuming due to the V V T. Its manageable once you get used to it. We had the AC on the entire trip, which made it quite comfortable with the top down in the 90’s. Only problem was the trunk button stopped working on the third time, but still works with the key fob. Will investigate this morning.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Beautiful car 🚗 and setting! I’m jealous.....you’re driving with the top down and some of the northern burbs of Chicago may get their first dusting of snow ❄ today....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Beautiful car 🚗 and setting! I’m jealous.....you’re driving with the top down and some of the northern burbs of Chicago may get their first dusting of snow ❄ today....
Thanks man! She and I work SO MUCH with our jobs that we rarely get to blow a whole day just goofing off. I think this little car will be a good excuse! We grew up here and both love it !

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks man! She and I work SO MUCH with our jobs that we rarely get to blow a whole day just goofing off. I think this little car will be a good excuse! We grew up here and both love it !
We bought our Sky this summer because my wife is a nurse.... COVID has made her life more stressful.... the Sky was the perfect Rx for stress relief. We have a getaway in Wisconsin... winding country roads.... hills.... leaves 🍁 changing color...... a two seater roadster is better than any “shrinks” couch 🛋

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
We bought our Sky this summer because my wife is a nurse.... COVID has made her life more stressful.... the Sky was the perfect Rx for stress relief. We have a getaway in Wisconsin... winding country roads.... hills.... leaves 🍁 changing color...... a two seater roadster is better than any “shrinks” couch 🛋
Haha that’s too funny, my gal runs the OR (Charge Nurse) at our local trauma hospital! She knows first hand about stress. I was the lead mechanic on the trauma helicopter for the same hospital for 5 years, before starting my own general aviation repair shop 8 years ago. I now care for over 60 aircraft, and could work 7 days a week 😖

21 - 40 of 40 Posts