Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Our Sky was in it's first car show today. The show had about 255 cars in it.

When I first registered it last week, I was going to put it in the "1999 to Present Original Class" but didn't think it was right for a car only 10 days old to compete in that class. If I would win in that class (which I'm pretty sure I could have), it wouldn't mean very much to me!:nono:

Sooooo, I entered it in the "Convertible Class" leaving my Sky competeing against ALL model year convertibles, thought this would be more of a test of the Sky's ability to show well. Anyway, I'm glad to say I won the second place trophy:D , beaten only by a 2007 Mustang.

All in all, it was a fun day, talked to lots of people about the Sky and as was said in previous posts, this car is a definite attention getter!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I do not understand "showing" the Sky. What's the big deal? It's not like they are rare or one of a kind. :confused: It's like saying... "Hey, look what I bought." :rolleyes: Then taking credit for a car that was built by someone else thousands of times over.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
YEA yellow Sky

:cheers:
We had a good time at the car show in Owasso today also, saw my first yellow solstice, its the same color as yours cobra :eek:
Real nice couple picked the yellow solstice up in Texas at Plano. Maverick was competing against our corvette and both lost to a mustang, go figure. :banghead: But our Daytona sunset orange corvette with the personalized tag of "PUMPK1N" did win Pastor's choice since it was the Pumpkin Patch Festival :jester: . My Sunbeam limbed home empty handed again :nopity: , O well, hey I did get a sunburn forgot the sunscreen this morning.:cool:
:thumbs:
Congrats on your First trophy :patriot:

TulsaSky
:D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Why do all those Mustang show up at a car show? You know the Snake Cobra or the NEW Cobra Mustang, are they not mass produced even more then the corvettes? Yet the Mass's will vote for them and they win every time. I lost today to a GTO that was orginal no restoration, yes it was a nice car but my 64 Sunbeam Alpine was saved from the scrap pile. They only made 62,000 Sunbeam Alpines between 1959-1968 and the 60-67 mustangs will win the trophys every time. Car shows are about populartity of the cars and yes right now the Sky's are few and far between and its a hoot to show them off at a car show. How do you think those darn Mustangs became so fashionable and popular they keep showing up at car shows!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not understand "showing" the Sky. What's the big deal? It's not like they are rare or one of a kind. :confused: It's like saying... "Hey, look what I bought." :rolleyes: Then taking credit for a car that was built by someone else thousands of times over.

No big deal, just showing off the car a little bit and I'm not "taking credit" for building it!:nono: If I wanted to take credit for buying the car, I would have put it in the 1990 to Present Original class as I stated in my post!

Oh and by the way, I AM BUILDING a car, a 66 Cobra kit car which I WILL take credit for!

·
Registered
141 Posts
That will be cool to see.... :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Actually the SKY IS rare (for the moment) Most people at the shows I have been at (around Chicagoland) had never seen one before and they are car people. A crowd pleaser...:cheers:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maybe here in California it's just not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I love to go to car shows ... but I guess I am pretty average, because most attendees do not even change their own car oil and many car showing participants just purchase to own and did not actually build that car they now showing. That goes for motorcycles too. Orange County Motorcycles are shown at many shows by proud owners who do not have the equipment, skills or both to construct those wonderful bikes.

I for one enjoy walking around falling in and out of love with all these mechanical beauties. :cheers:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Personally Ken, I don't care if the car wins nor do I expect it to win. I enter these shows to spend time with friends and talk with people that have similar interests "cars". It's not for the competition it's for the comradery.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah here in California (At least not here in Los Angeles, car shows are very competitive here) you would not have won unless you had some mods on that baby. I have never ever seen a stock car win a car show here in Cali....well only classic cars but not newer cars....newer cars must know some tricks to impress the crowds here thats why I won't even dare enter mine in a car show here in California yet and mine has 19 inch rimes and its lowered and trust me I need much more than that to compete.

But anyway if your able to score a trophy at your local car shows TAKE EM!!! LOL good job on the win :thumbs:

Marco
:cheers:

Maybe here in California it's just not a big deal.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Personally Ken, I don't care if the car wins nor do I expect it to win. I enter these shows to spend time with friends and talk with people that have similar interests "cars". It's not for the competition it's for the comradery.
right. mhm.:rolleyes:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
Cobra: Congrats on the 1st show!!! They are a blast!!!

I take mine to shows for a few reasons... but one of mine is to compete. I mainly go to compact/import car shows, where people do change the vehicles from stock. Everything from simple stereo installs & rims to custom paint/body work and 100% fiberglass interiors. It is all about the competiton there. I also promote the companies that assist me in winning the shows. They provide product, and I provide a venue to show it. Any time it is on the road, at the shows or sitting in the showroom... peoples eyes are on the car, and in such on their product or company name.

When I go to cruise in's... normally held by classic car clubs, I go to enjoy the machinery and friendships formed. There, it is not a contest. You check out the new cars that roll in from time to time and also the changes others make to cars you have seen before.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cobra: Congrats on the 1st show!!! They are a blast!!!

I take mine to shows for a few reasons... but one of mine is to compete. I mainly go to compact/import car shows, where people do change the vehicles from stock. Everything from simple stereo installs & rims to custom paint/body work and 100% fiberglass interiors. It is all about the competiton there. I also promote the companies that assist me in winning the shows. They provide product, and I provide a venue to show it. Any time it is on the road, at the shows or sitting in the showroom... peoples eyes are on the car, and in such on their product or company name.

When I go to cruise in's... normally held by classic car clubs, I go to enjoy the machinery and friendships formed. There, it is not a contest. You check out the new cars that roll in from time to time and also the changes others make to cars you have seen before.
Thanks, they are a blast to attend.:thumbs: I enjoy answering questions about the Sky and just being a part of the show. I might put it into a couple more shows(convertible class, if offered). I really don't want to put it in an "original class" since it is so new, its not very hard to keep it original when its brand new, also would kind of feel like receiving a trophy not truly earned.

When the Cobra is finished in spring, the Sky will be "retired" from shows & the Cobra will be entered, can't wait for that!:D

·
Registered
420 Posts
When the Cobra is finished in spring, the Sky will be "retired" from shows & the Cobra will be entered, can't wait for that!:D
Try entering both at the same time in different classes and you might win for each of them! :thumbs:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Then taking credit for a car that was built by someone else thousands of times over.
I share your mentality on this, though not really in regards to showing the car at a show. Instead, it is the car dealerships' names when they plaster them on the back of the car, right next to the manufacturer's emblem. It's like the dealership is trying to take as much credit for the car as the manufacturer. :mad:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It's a car show - the classes you enter describe the car you are showing. There does not have to be anything custom in many classes (in fact Stock 1990 to Present says it all in one show I saw). The difference between an Original and a restored STOCK car is evident.
Heck in one show a class was Sweetest Ride, I think the SKY can compete in that class.
No one is saying the car is Custom, or in anyway different than what it is - An original, new car.
If it was entered as a custom - shame on the showman. However if it were allowed shame on the judges.
I can see your point about a person who buys a car already "done" and just shows it - but where does it say that only the builder can show a car? Cars that just get rolled out of a trailer to be shown are not much better - but if the rules allow - what's the big deal.
You have to learn to get around the personal walls one builds. Enjoy a car show for the cars. Nothing more complicated than that

1 - 20 of 21 Posts