Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a chance to check out the Sky at Saturn of Brunswick in NJ. Kevin there is a nice guy and let us check out the car thoroughly even though I told him I only want the Redline. He said they had 5 cars sold already. Also if you order now delivery would be in June. If you are interested in buying please tell him Alex (the Redline guy) referred you.

They had a Silver Pearl demo with black leather interior, 6 disc Monsoon, LSD, and 18" chrome wheels.

The color is darker than it appears in the pictures, I thought it was Silver Graphite at first. The paint is very good and "sparkly". There were some scratches on the rear deck between the humps and the doors had touchup paint where the hood was probably closed with the doors open.

Overall the outside just looks awesome. Fender to wheel gap is about 2.5" and ground clearance is very low, about 5", enhancing the sporty look. The chrome wheels are a little too bling for me though. A few differences from the preproduction pics are a body color painted windshield frame instead of polished, the steering wheels accents are silver, not a shiny chrome, and the taillights have a silver bar through them not chrome. Fog lights don't have much power and are probably more for looks than anything. The headlights are just begging for HIDs. All the body panels had very small uniform gaps of about 2-3mm. Only the horizontal gap between the hood and fenders (above the GM emblem) was a little larger.

The interior quality is very nice. The doors have a solid feel and no rattles. Steering wheel is nicely padded and the leather is good quality all over. The piano black finish looks jewel-like and the knobs all turn with nice tactile clicks. Monsoon sound system is impressive for a roadster, with a decent amount of bass coming from the sub. IMO the Monsoon is a must have.

Seating position is very low, like the Miata but you have more side-to-side room. I had the feeling of looking over the long hood like in a Z4. Rearview vision is very limited with the top up, and the OnStar antenna is a little annoying right in the middle. With the top down visibility is fine. Side mirrors are small but give enough visability that there is little to no blind spots. Pedal position is perfect for heel-toe driving and the shifter has very short throws and nice "snickety-snick" positive engagement. This is a definite drivers car.

Exhaust has a mellow sound almost like a 350Z when revved, but once moving it becomes a throatier growl. The intake "sucking sound" is also very noticable. All very good noises - no need for aftermarket here.

The top was easy to stow, the only hard part being it took 2 people to push the top all the way down so the decklid could close. Its possible after a while the material will be more pliable and easy to stow. The hood latch was very low, almost to the pedals and hard to get to. Once popped, the hood opened easily on struts although the clamshell design makes it hard to work on the intake area. BTW the front Saturn grill is fake and doesn't actually have any holes, so any aftermarket intake would need to get its air from the bottom air dams.

Overall a beautiful ride with solid construction, fit, and finish. Can't wait for my Redline!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Thanks for the review:)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Thanks. Nice review. I wish we could get more of them and more pictures.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Way2Fast said:
Do you know if the side "vents" are real as on the Vipers and Vettes, or are they fake like those on the hood?
they are fake, but after looking at mine they could be made functional very easily, maybe i can take some pictures tomorrow

·
Registered
55 Posts
First Impressions

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS ! They ease the pain of waiting !

[ESPECIALY IN CANADA }

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.