Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning a long road trip --- from Tennessee to Iowa and North Dakota. We only have about 850 miles so far, but thinking an oil change beforehand would be good. What I am wondering is should we go with synthetic oil or regular motor oil? Any input would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
KanMan said:
We are planning a long road trip --- from Tennessee to Iowa and North Dakota. We only have about 850 miles so far, but thinking an oil change beforehand would be good. What I am wondering is should we go with synthetic oil or regular motor oil? Any input would be greatly appreciated. :confused:
I always use full synthetic, but it is really a personal preference. Modern petroleum technology makes just about any name brand oil good.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Hmmmm...... the wet kind of oil... i think.... Nah.. just kidding.. when i took SKYBABY in for her first change, they just used whatever the dealership uses..... and... on a different note, where in Iowa ya going?... will you be going through Illinois?.... are you gonna make it to our party on the 15th?...SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SkyBaby said:
Hmmmm...... the wet kind of oil... i think.... Nah.. just kidding.. when i took SKYBABY in for her first change, they just used whatever the dealership uses..... and... on a different note, where in Iowa ya going?... will you be going through Illinois?.... are you gonna make it to our party on the 15th?...SkyBaby-07
going to Sioux City --- through Missouri, mainly. I guess I will go with the petroleum product, if that's what the dealer uses.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am also considering going with synthetic oil for a couple reasons:agree: It would be longer between oil changes, not sure on how many miles, but there is a vast difference:yesnod: The other is it doesn't come from the middle east, more home grown:patriot: I just wish our cars ran on ethonal, that would have been great:banghead:
As I understand it you don't use synthetic oil until you break in your motor with regular oil. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
KanMan said:
You don't need an oil change until 5,000 miles - that's what the manual says. As far as what kind of oil to use, whatever you decide, you shouldn't go back and forth.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
RedSky2night said:
I am also considering going with synthetic oil for a couple reasons:agree: It would be longer between oil changes, not sure on how many miles, but there is a vast difference:yesnod: The other is it doesn't come from the middle east, more home grown:patriot: I just wish our cars ran on ethonal, that would have been great:banghead:
As I understand it you don't use synthetic oil until break in your motor with regular oil. :thumbs:
My oil is homegrown, it comes right out of the ground here in the Texas Panhandle! So does the natural gas, they kinda follow each other out of the ground:lol: :D

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I've found there are two things that have to occur for long engine life. One: Never run it hot. Two: Regular oil changes. I go with the GM recomendations. That way you have no warranty problems.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Petroleum Vs. Synthetic oil

As a general rule of thumb, the cheaper the oil, the fewer additives it has and therefore, the less able it is to protect your engine. The majority of general users which so many of us probably fall into, get a multi-viscosity such as 10W30 5W30 or 20W50. Basically, the lower the first number, the better the oil will perform in extremely cold conditions, meaning it won't thicken into a glue like condition as it loses it's viscosity(ability to flow). The higher the second number the better the oil will protect at higher temperatures. If you were driving to Minnesota in the winter you would want the lowest number you could find like a 0W30. In Sunny California 10W40 would be a better choice. I use 5W30 in my Mustang GT and cruise at regular freeway traffic at liesurly 80's and (90's :nono: ) if that's the general speed.
Synthetic oils on the other hand are engineered specifically to provide all the lubricating properties that natural oil possesses, but none of the cold thickening or hot thinning properties of petroleum oil. I feel personnaly that the higher revving small engines and maybe the Turbo RL would be a good candidate for looking at this as an oil choice.
Regardless of my statements CHECK YOUR WARRANTEY before using anything but manufacturers recommended. Petroleum based is FINE for regular drivers.
By the way, I spent 23 years as a DC 10 Jet Engine mechanic trained by GE and synthetics are what we use in turbines for temps over 450 degrees and up. Let me know if someone wants to mount a turbine to their Sky and kick the Mallet into the stone age.:lol:
Everyone enjoy, the Sky's not the limit, just the beginning!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Corvettes come from the factory with full synthetic Mobil 1 , good enough for me...:brentil:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
You don't need an oil change until 5,000 miles - that's what the manual says. As far as what kind of oil to use, whatever you decide, you shouldn't go back and forth.
what manual are you referring to? the owners manual says wait for the DIC to tell you to change or once a year whichever comes first....

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Every mechanic (including a Saturn tech) said first oil change in the 500-1000 range should be done. Some say go by DIC after that -- some say 2000-3000 after - but yes what ever you choose; synthetic or natural -- stick with it.:D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Every mechanic (including a Saturn tech) said first oil change in the 500-1000 range should be done. Some say go by DIC after that -- some say 2000-3000 after - but yes what ever you choose; synthetic or natural -- stick with it.:D
don't you think if that was necessary it would be included in the manual? they will tell you anything at the dealership to make a buck...the more they can service your car the more money they make, do you really think it costs them 26 dollars to change oil in a car? you can do it yourself for half of that...
like i say they will tell you anything to get you to spend more money... GO BY THE MANUAL.....
like i have said time and time again changing your oil every 3000 miles is old school just like changing it in the first 500 miles, are you going to do all your maintenance by the old schedules from 30 or 40 years ago? then that was what was in the owners manual... it is no longer necessary...
It's overkill and a waste of time and money....and of course natural resources... even synthetic oil takes natural resources to produce...

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Where does Synthetic oil come from.

RedSky2night said:
As I understand it you don't use synthetic oil until break in your motor with regular oil. :thumbs:
From - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil
Synthetic motor oil is often synthesized from reactants (feedstocks) derived from petroleum, but the compounds in the synthetic motor oil have different molecular structures from those originally in petroleum.
The primary disadvantage of synthetic oils is that they cost significantly more than mineral oils. Some manufacturers of synthetic oils, such as Amsoil and Mobil1, however offer extended drain intervals which allows for running the oil by over 7 times the length of conventional petroleum oils. This extended drain interval actually causes synthetics to be more cost effective over the course of 2 to 3 oil changes.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Lil GTO said:
From - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil
Synthetic motor oil is often synthesized from reactants (feedstocks) derived from petroleum, but the compounds in the synthetic motor oil have different molecular structures from those originally in petroleum.
The primary disadvantage of synthetic oils is that they cost significantly more than mineral oils. Some manufacturers of synthetic oils, such as Amsoil and Mobil1, however offer extended drain intervals which allows for running the oil by over 7 times the length of conventional petroleum oils. This extended drain interval actually causes synthetics to be more cost effective over the course of 2 to 3 oil changes.
I know a guy that has used amsoil in his pickup and has almost 300,000 miles on it, he changes the oil ever 25,000 miles and the filter every 5,000 miles...his truck does not smoke a bit either...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
don't you think if that was necessary it would be included in the manual? they will tell you anything at the dealership to make a buck...the more they can service your car the more money they make, do you really think it costs them 26 dollars to change oil in a car? you can do it yourself for half of that...
like i say they will tell you anything to get you to spend more money... GO BY THE MANUAL.....
like i have said time and time again changing your oil every 3000 miles is old school just like changing it in the first 500 miles, are you going to do all your maintenance by the old schedules from 30 or 40 years ago? then that was what was in the owners manual... it is no longer necessary...
It's overkill and a waste of time and money....and of course natural resources... even synthetic oil takes natural resources to produce...
Calmness...:thumbs:
Only the Saturn Tech was from the dealer and the other mechanics were people I met or already know. They ALL (that is everyone - each as in an individual and none have a vested interest in what happens to my car) recommend a change between 500 and 1000 miles. No motor is "run in" at the plant and the setting for rings and the run out of the shafts and cams all cause some initial wear. To be on the safe side they recommend a change to get rid of shavings and particles that are worn off in the first few miles. After that it is up to you (one guy said he'd do it again after another 1000-1500 but that was one). They were all fans of the DIC and said that the less than 20% mark was fine and if you got 5000 miles, even 10000 miles out of the oil using the DIC -- it's all good, don't fall into the "every 3000 mile rut."
Doesn't sound like anyone was trying to rip me off. I figue it's good advice that will cost me $25.00
As far as putting into the owner’s manual -- why should they? The MFG wants you to wear out the engine. I'm sure it will last 36000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
I know a guy that has used amsoil in his pickup and has almost 300,000 miles on it, he changes the oil ever 25,000 miles and the filter every 5,000 miles...his truck does not smoke a bit either...
There was actually a group that studied this:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

Highly technical and some of the stuff you'll find there will surprise you such as changing your oil every 3,000 mile is actually SHORTENING your engine life.

If you decide to go Mobil1, Walmart has 5 quart jugs of the stuff for $20. That's pretty cheap for Mobil1.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
As far as putting into the owner’s manual -- why should they? The MFG wants you to wear out the engine. I'm sure it will last 36000 miles.
why in this day and time would any manufacturer want you to wear out your engine pre maturely???? The reputation of the company for building long lasting cars promotes repeat buyers, if one wears out prematurely the person will be less likely to by the same make next time... so it is in their best interest to promote things that will insure long life...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
why in this day and time would any manufacturer want you to wear out your engine pre maturely???? The reputation of the company for building long lasting cars promotes repeat buyers, if one wears out prematurely the person will be less likely to by the same make next time... so it is in their best interest to promote things that will insure long life...
Mostly a TIC remark (Tongue In Cheek). Just a comment leaning toward the mechanics wanting me to spend extra money any more than Saturn trying to ruin my engine.
As stated $25.00 (Or less if you do it yourself) is a very small price to help the engine live a longer life....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts