Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a photo from "the lab" at Borla with the new Single Outlet Exhaust that they are working on mounted on my baby. I have also posted a photo of the OEM exhaust tip for comparison.

And, before you ask, no - I don't have other photos from other angles where you can see the Cat Back itself. At least, not yet! This was just a question of "Does this tip offend you?" It looks like it's a little crooked, but I'm sure it's just placed on there and not welded down as they're going to be swapping all the components in and out as they do their testing.

My opinion for them was, "That works for me!" What's yours?

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
I like it. It's sporty without being ricey and doesn't detract or distract from the car. Can't wait to hear about the dyno results!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Am I missing something? What's the difference between the two? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I like it... :willy:

One thing I was wondering was that, after looking at the OEM tip the other day very closely, I think it would be possible for them to "graft" it onto their cat-back without too much trouble and then it would really look factory for that stealth look!!! :cool: Just a thought!!! :D

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
202 Posts
SKYtime said:
The Borla is the more rounded tip on the left with the stock tip showing on the right for comparison.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SKYtime said:
The BIG difference is in the muffler and piping behind the tip! The "Cat-Back" refers to a new exhaust system that replaces what comes from the factory behind the Catalytic Converter - or "Cat-Back" for short. The Borla exhaust will promote better air flow of the exhaust thus increasing power, and even more so when combined with a Cold Air Intake kit that will improve the flow going into the engine.

The idea for the tip is to come up with something that they can provide that will not detract from the lines of the car, will fit in the existing opening, and won't require you to un-weld the factory tip from the stock exhaust system and re-use it.

And, when it comes to my car - they are about to cut a hole in the fascia to the left to give me a dual-outlet solution. Therefore they need two tips, and hopefully two that match each other! If you look at the factory tip, it is specifically shaped to fit the opening on the right and is not symmetrical left-to-right. Therefore, a copy of that tip could not be mounted on the other side of the car - it would have to be a mirror-image-opposite tip. It looks like that's what the Red Line will do. As for the Borla tip, it's symmetrical left-to-right so two identical tips could be placed on either side of the car and it would look fine.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Sorry don't like the tip! It looks like a replacement. The shape of the body panel suggests the shape of the tip. Also I would think that if I was spending that kinda money I'd want dual exhaust.

·
Registered
56 Posts
rick112 said:
Sorry don't like the tip! It looks like a replacement. The shape of the body panel suggests the shape of the tip. Also I would think that if I was spending that kinda money I'd want dual exhaust.
What kind of money? Has a price been quoted?

As far as the tip, I don't like it either. Ideally I'd like an aftermarket exhaust that can use the stock tip. It was designed with the car in mind, and with the car so design-centric, I'd hate to throw a universal tip in there that just happens to have some flat edges.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haylcron said:
What kind of money? Has a price been quoted?

As far as the tip, I don't like it either. Ideally I'd like an aftermarket exhaust that can use the stock tip. It was designed with the car in mind, and with the car so design-centric, I'd hate to throw a universal tip in there that just happens to have some flat edges.
No word on price yet. I bet if you wanted to get a stock tip and mount it (or re-mount the factory tip) you could do that. For my dual, I'd have to get a Red Line "Left Tip" and I don't think those are even available to be ordered yet; I know I can't order a Red Line rear valance yet, because I've asked...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
rick112 said:

spend what kind of money? I didn't think they had pricing yet.

I'm holding out for a dual also but dual outlet will be fine. true dual is going to be expensive and bear minimal gains over dual outlet on this engine.

now if you plan on slapping a turbo on it, then you probably will see and advantage to a true dual and in that case might be worth the extra $$$$

·
Registered
337 Posts
Works For Me

The tip works for me...it's really not much different...a little bit rounder but not much of a difference...

Personally If I was getting a CAT-BACK single exit for the Sky I would really love to see two smaller exit tips coming out of the Sky...

I don't have much extra time with all the AVATARS I'm doing for everyone on this Forum but I will try to get an image together to show you all what I'm talking about...If I don't have time...O-well

Anyway the tip works! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I like the square tip, interested in the dynos to see the increase in horsepower. :willy:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Double dual tips would look sweet... but for now i think 2 round tips would work. dont really like the stock tips.

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
what happened to the dual mufflers...meaning one muffler with dual outlets like the redline....single exhaust is not what the forum is wanting....bring on the BIG GUNS. I don't believe there will be a market for this muffler since everyone wants the duals.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
marlboromike said:
what happened to the dual mufflers...meaning one muffler with dual outlets like the redline....single exhaust is not what the forum is wanting....bring on the BIG GUNS. I don't believe there will be a market for this muffler since everyone wants the duals.
I couldn't agree more, and I am getting a dual-outlet system.

But the Borla folks wanted to fit the single first and take pictures before they cut the rear fascia on my SKY. First things first.

Meanwhile I am (semi-)patiently waiting for what I really want. Should be early next week. It had better be, or I will go out of my friggin' mind!:willy:

By the way - I saw the new film CARS tonight. Good flick, 'specially if you know anything about cars!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
marlboromike said:
Sorry if i did not understand what they were doing...but it seems they r wasting their time with the single exhaust...good luck
Not a problem - nothing to be sorry about. I am 100% dualie all the way. Other folks here, they say "ain't nobody gonna cut another hole in my SKY." It's amazing how personal the issue becomes.

I think we all want better performance, that's a given. And I think everybody who is going to kick up performance a bit will go for a deeper and richer sound, or most people would at least...

After that, it splits all over the place. Some people want the car to look exactly like the factory model. Others want something different - even radically so.

As for me, I just loathe what a single exhaust does to the symmetry of the back of the car. With these fine lines, I want it balanced. Therefore I gotta go for the dual. I just want that look of harmony - left and right. As for tips, not a biggie to me. What Borla is proposing is fine. Looks kinda factory-ish, but not exactly the same. Looks like it fits the car. Put those tips left and right, and I am 100% happy.

But again, others want only a single, and to keep the factory tip. I'm sure others will want the factory tips from the Red Line to share the Red Line look - make people wonder. Some people, too, will probably fit a dual exhaust with factory tips and stick Red Line badges on the back, and try to pass off their car that way...

As for me, I want more power and a symmetrical back. Those are my #1 and #2. That will make my car different, so I don't mind if it looks different with different tips. It is sure as hell gonna sound different. No hiding that. So if people who know anything about the SKY look at it and think, "Wow. That sounds nice. Oh, cool! Custom exhaust. Dualie! Looks like it fits the car well..." then I am happy. I don't need the exact factory look because it's not a factory exhaust, and I don't mind saying that through different - but appropriate - tips.

Don't know if that makes sense to you, but it makes sense to me. And it was probably more than you wanted to know.

Sorry!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts