Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so excited. I picked up my silver sky on 3-16-06. I have been waiting so long. I love driving it and seeing the expressions and hearing the remarks and questions but that gets a little overwhelming at times and I just take it home, (making sure no one is following me) and hide it. My friends thought I would shut up about it once I got it but boy were they wrong. I talk even more about it now

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
How long did you wait between image to driving? Those of us still waiting are trying to use others' experiences to estimate arrival dates. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very early in 05 I saw a small picture of the sky in a car mag at barnes and noble. The next day I drove to the local dealership which had almost no info on the car. I asked to talk to the manager who was the only one to know anything about it. I asked if anyone had inquired about it and he said no. At that time I told him that I wanted the first one and that I was willing to put a deposit on it that day. He said no deposit but I would get the first one and thats kinda how it happened.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not quite sure what an "image" is but the handshake between the saturn manager and me was enough to clinch the deal. I am so pleased with the saturn dealership in Richmond, they stayed in contact with me and when they ordered the first sky they talked to me and I told them the options I preferred and they got them. With all the bad publicity car dealers get, it was great to deal with a dealership that cares.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
HotSKY, what the person is asking, is: When you got the call to actually take the "custom" order of your car... how long did it take from that point (imaged) to when you physically go your car?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Angelqute1, Many months ago when I first saw the colors available on the sky, I told the manager at Saturn that I wanted a silver with black leather interior and chrome wheels. He said he would try but the first one might be a different color. I insisted on the first one, since I was the first person to inquire about it there, so I told him that I would take what he got as long as it wasnt yellow, white or red. Well he came through for me and got exactly what I wanted. The day it came in I went and picked it up. That was the first time money was exchanged, I was not required to put a deposit on it. It seems that most dealers are handling it a little differently. Thanks for the explanation of "image" although it didnt actually apply in my case.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
HotSky said:
Angelqute1, Many months ago when I first saw the colors available on the sky, I told the manager at Saturn that I wanted a silver with black leather interior and chrome wheels. He said he would try but the first one might be a different color. I insisted on the first one, since I was the first person to inquire about it there, so I told him that I would take what he got as long as it wasnt yellow, white or red. Well he came through for me and got exactly what I wanted. The day it came in I went and picked it up. That was the first time money was exchanged, I was not required to put a deposit on it. It seems that most dealers are handling it a little differently. Thanks for the explanation of "image" although it didnt actually apply in my case.
But at some point didn't they call you to tell you they ordered the car?? That is when they Image. Signing up and handshaking has all been done here as well -- but when they ordered the car they called. That is the day we are looking for.

·
Registered
517 Posts
wow

i saw you crusin down hull street! what a great looking car. that was you driving wasn't it? HOT!

which dealership did you use and how long would it take me to get one?

·
Registered
182 Posts
To show you how disorganized the Richmond franchises are under the same owner, I have been asking the 2 dealers for two years, since the Curve concept, to keep me updated on this car. Each time I have gone in for an oil change or service for 2 years I have waited in the sales area and talked to the salesmen, who have been incredibly kept in the dark through this whole process by management. Read my post about the dealer not letting the salesman have a key so he could show me the inside of the car.

This franchise is overwhelmed and unresponsive to the majority of customers, that is why you read of several of us from the Richmond area going elsewhere to order our cars. As I posted, the Sales Manager got really snippy with me when I didn't immediately come in and buy the White one they got in, and that person was surprised if not resentful that other dealers are letting customers actually order their preferences (what a concept-let the customer choose).

I had told this same dealer franchise for 2 years that I was definitely interested in getting one as soon as they were available, but that info was routinely lost. The sales staff never had any information about when they were going to be available or how to get one, right through February. I'm glad it worked out for one of our friends here, but by and large this franchise has conducted their business by the "take what we offer you, or nothing at all" approach as described in the hilarious "restaurant" metaphor others have posted in one of my threads. Congrats HotSky, you are one of the lucky ones here.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i think you are mistaken about the dealerships in richmond. the first sold are advertising when they are driven around town.

have you seen hotsky? she is the demographic this car was made for. middle age (not an insult hotsky, i am guessing you are 30 - 35, but the car might make you look younger!), women who are successful financially, and look it.

my guess is that the dealership knows a good thing when they see it and they knew that hotsky would look good driving their car. ever seen a car advertisement? the models are always hot.

who are you going to sell your first car in the area to, a hot looking female who fits your demographic, or someone who will not look so good in your car?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Skyepilot, thanks for the compliment. That must have been you screaming and waving his arms. I thought you were going to have an accident. I do agree with you too that the Richmond Saturn dealers are great, but I guess people think, well she got the first one and that is why she feels that way. Maybe thats part of it but I was persistent and called the dealership at least monthly and also went to visit at least once monthly. I offered to pay for the car sight unseen based on it being silver with leather and chrome wheels. I also told them that if it was more than msrp because of the market, that I would also pay that. They were wonderful. They charged msrp, didnt insist I buy any add ons and were the friendliest group of people I have ever met. The whole staff was called before we drove out and they sang and applauded. I have bought corvettes and vipers and I have never had a dealership be so friendly. As for your question on how to get one. I say let them know you seriously want one and not just wasting their time and it will happen.

·
Registered
517 Posts
yeah, i guess if they know you are serious that helps. most people just don't understand how to buy a car.

but i think that your looks had a lot to do with it. the better looking girls always get better service.

and as i said, you fit the demographic. this car is made with women like you in mind. men in the richmond area don't drive this type of car.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Congrts, HotSky. I agree they will be glad to sell you one, but it's what the Sales Manager orders. They do not order car by car according to the preferences of the customer as the great majority of dealerships nationwide are doing. That is just fact.

You have to hope they call you before they call someone else, that you show up before someone else does, and that the car is something you like even if it's not your preferences (luckily that's most of the Skys). That's the way this owner chose to treat customers for this car.

They all gathered around and sang when I bought a 4 cylinder Vue, so that's nothing new.

The target base is much greater than 30 year old females, but no doubt HotSky looks better than I with the top down! :thumbs:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldnt have known they sing for all car purchases cause its the only saturn i have owned. I do know they made me feel good and were the best dealership I have dealt with. I am sorry you had a bad experience with them. Maybe you just caught them at a bad time, everyone has them once in awhile. By the way I'm sure you will look as good as I driving with your top down...

·
Registered
182 Posts
HotSky you're right, I've always had good experiences with Saturn before, that's what has made this kind of troubling and surprising. I will say that the Chesterfield store has been more cooperative instead of abrasive like the other store, both of them are having to live under the same guidelines set out by the owner or his appointed authority. I'm glad you got your Sky that you've been hoping for :D :D .

·
Registered
149 Posts
VUETH1S said:
To show you how disorganized the Richmond franchises are under the same owner, I have been asking the 2 dealers for two years, since the Curve concept, to keep me updated on this car. Each time I have gone in for an oil change or service for 2 years I have waited in the sales area and talked to the salesmen, who have been incredibly kept in the dark through this whole process by management. Read my post about the dealer not letting the salesman have a key so he could show me the inside of the car.

This franchise is overwhelmed and unresponsive to the majority of customers, that is why you read of several of us from the Richmond area going elsewhere to order our cars. As I posted, the Sales Manager got really snippy with me when I didn't immediately come in and buy the White one they got in, and that person was surprised if not resentful that other dealers are letting customers actually order their preferences (what a concept-let the customer choose).

I had told this same dealer franchise for 2 years that I was definitely interested in getting one as soon as they were available, but that info was routinely lost. The sales staff never had any information about when they were going to be available or how to get one, right through February. I'm glad it worked out for one of our friends here, but by and large this franchise has conducted their business by the "take what we offer you, or nothing at all" approach as described in the hilarious "restaurant" metaphor others have posted in one of my threads. Congrats HotSky, you are one of the lucky ones here.
Right On! It seems that you and I are in the same boat and share the same bad experience. For what it is worth, I filed a complaint with Saturn.(Thanks to some urging by AGT) What a sad way to treat customers. I will not set foot in either store again. I will have to investigate where else to look for a Sky when the Red Line is available.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chip said:
Right On! It seems that you and I are in the same boat and share the same bad experience. For what it is worth, I filed a complaint with Saturn.(Thanks to some urging by AGT) What a sad way to treat customers. I will not set foot in either store again. I will have to investigate where else to look for a Sky when the Red Line is available.
Chip, Sometimes I go in a grocery store or convenience store or whatever and the person in the store treats me great and sometimes they treat me bad. I guess that can happen to anyone and thats why one person can be real happy with a retailer and another disatisfied. I am really sorry that happened to you and think maybe you should call the saturn manager and tell her your feelings. If she isn't receptive and willing to make things right then you are probably right about your conclusion. make sure to wave to the silver sky! what color will yours be and i will be looking for you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
HS; I would like to compare notes on you dealer experience. I sat through several conversations as the dealership tried to figure out how they would deal with the Sky and demand for it. I was told about your silver car & the white one that came in shortly after. They told me that there would be no list made, no orders, and that people that came with money would get a car if they had one. The only good thing is that they are selling them at MSRP. The next thing I am told is that a list will be made and that they will call the person on the top of the list and if that person has the money, the car is theirs. Now they said this past Sat. that there will be no list. They seem to be all over the place. I bet it's that terrible GM. She is a piece of work. I wish the best for you with your new Sky.:thumbs:

·
Registered
517 Posts
hotsky, you sure do talk good about that dealership. are you in anyway related to anyone affiliated with it?

or do you work for it?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts