Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

Took delivery of my Sky last Monday, and as yet I have not had any of the reported problems. All the creature comforts work well, and the option radio is a must for top down driving. The seat leather has begun to stretch a bit already, and I am not a huge guy by any means. Not awful, but lets just say you can tell I have been in it vs the passenger side. We'll see how it is in 6 months. (My 2004 Mercedes SLK did the same thing...and that cost twice as much. Never got worse after the initial stretching).

Here are a few of first thoughts after a week of ownership:

1) Be Afraid....VERY afraid of parking too close to the curb. When in doubt...stop! I have an 05 Corvette, and this car seems worse to me than the vette on judging where the front is. Both of them require you to use the force when parking. Not complaining about the car, just a warning. I have 3 good size scratches under the front bumper now ...ughh. I will get it touched up, and then the 3M bra is going on. That does help by the way. Has saved me a couple of time in the vette.

2) The grillwork on the frot of the car is like a honeycomb shape, and on my first washing, it holds water big time! It seems to have just the right shape and angle to have quite good water adhesion. Run a towel over the grill work a few times before you bother to wipe the painted surfaces, or you will be redoing your work. Maybe a leaf blower?

3) The car handles quite well, although clearly could use another 25-30 horses to make a spirited ride. Redline will fix that. Of course, I am a little spoiled by my vette. (That will be solved next fall when the Mallett V8 gets added!) Shifting is as effortless as my vette. Visibility is 100% better with the top down, but you knew that.

4) I have read some issues/problems from folks as to things like orange peel paint, overly large rear view mirror, questionable seat leather, etc. Just wanted to give you all some perspective. I own a brand new vette as well, and it costs about twice the price. Similar issues have been found by some with the vette. Plus, there have been a bunch of other problems from targa tops blowing off due to faulty construction, squeaky brakes, bad navigation systems, etc. While the jury is still out on the Sky, as not enough of us have them yet, I just wantd you to know that even for twice the price, there are still problems and opinions as to quality vs. price.

That doesn't mean we should accept those issues if they occur though!

Also, the Sky has some items that I WISH were on my vette! Like steering wheel controls, digital Onstar (I had analog on my vette, and had to pay to upgrade it!), two-tone leather option, and chrome wheel option (the polished wheel option on the vette aren't as nice).

5) If you need a car cover, I bought a Noah cover from Autoanything.com for about $190, and it is an exact fit for the Sky. You will need to make a hole (grommet supplied) for the antenna, but it is a good quality cover that has good water and dirt resistance. Even covers the wheels entirely.

All in all, I would say that this car in Redline form will be a blast! Almost a competition for a vette on the fun-scale, especially for the price.
I'm sure I will have more to add once I get the car broken in a bit more.

·
Registered
248 Posts
1 week review

thanks ... I'm already impatient ... your great review doesn't help!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Now that was a great review! :thumbs: Thanks. Only thing I can bitch about it no pictures.:banghead: I'd like to have seen pictures.

As for the visibility comment...Of course people will be able to see you better with the top down. :lol: :cool: :jester:
Zr1Owner said:
3) Visibility is 100% better with the top down, but you knew that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will post some pictures if it doesn't rain tomorrow, but chances are it will. Maybe I can make it out in between T Storms!

And as to people seeing me in the car....I'm not the handsome, so I need a Marissa Tomei lookalike to make me happy and dress up the car!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks for the review. Just can't wait to be able to post mine!:willy:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Zr1Owner said:
Hi all

Took delivery of my Sky last Monday, and as yet I have not had any of the reported problems. All the creature comforts work well, and the option radio is a must for top down driving. The seat leather has begun to stretch a bit already, and I am not a huge guy by any means. Not awful, but lets just say you can tell I have been in it vs the passenger side. We'll see how it is in 6 months. (My 2004 Mercedes SLK did the same thing...and that cost twice as much. Never got worse after the initial stretching).

Here are a few of first thoughts after a week of ownership:

1) Be Afraid....VERY afraid of parking too close to the curb. When in doubt...stop! I have an 05 Corvette, and this car seems worse to me than the vette on judging where the front is. Both of them require you to use the force when parking. Not complaining about the car, just a warning. I have 3 good size scratches under the front bumper now ...ughh. I will get it touched up, and then the 3M bra is going on. That does help by the way. Has saved me a couple of time in the vette.

2) The grillwork on the frot of the car is like a honeycomb shape, and on my first washing, it holds water big time! It seems to have just the right shape and angle to have quite good water adhesion. Run a towel over the grill work a few times before you bother to wipe the painted surfaces, or you will be redoing your work. Maybe a leaf blower?

3) The car handles quite well, although clearly could use another 25-30 horses to make a spirited ride. Redline will fix that. Of course, I am a little spoiled by my vette. (That will be solved next fall when the Mallett V8 gets added!) Shifting is as effortless as my vette. Visibility is 100% better with the top down, but you knew that.

4) I have read some issues/problems from folks as to things like orange peel paint, overly large rear view mirror, questionable seat leather, etc. Just wanted to give you all some perspective. I own a brand new vette as well, and it costs about twice the price. Similar issues have been found by some with the vette. Plus, there have been a bunch of other problems from targa tops blowing off due to faulty construction, squeaky brakes, bad navigation systems, etc. While the jury is still out on the Sky, as not enough of us have them yet, I just wantd you to know that even for twice the price, there are still problems and opinions as to quality vs. price.

That doesn't mean we should accept those issues if they occur though!

Also, the Sky has some items that I WISH were on my vette! Like steering wheel controls, digital Onstar (I had analog on my vette, and had to pay to upgrade it!), two-tone leather option, and chrome wheel option (the polished wheel option on the vette aren't as nice).

5) If you need a car cover, I bought a Noah cover from Autoanything.com for about $190, and it is an exact fit for the Sky. You will need to make a hole (grommet supplied) for the antenna, but it is a good quality cover that has good water and dirt resistance. Even covers the wheels entirely.

All in all, I would say that this car in Redline form will be a blast! Almost a competition for a vette on the fun-scale, especially for the price.
I'm sure I will have more to add once I get the car broken in a bit more.
Thanks for the Review, Yes Picx Please!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Very short fuel filler neck...when the pump stops...do not try to put any more in. Having a blast with it...the Wilmington guys did a great job...go Blue Hens.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks ZR1, a great review from someone who has been there! Me, I'm still waiting, but will accept all good and bad for love of this car! :thumbs:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Zr1Owner said:
How true this is! I spent 2 hours yesterday washing and drying - OK mostly drying - my SKY. I was patting my chamois against the honeycomb parts, and each time it unleashed Niagara Falls. I was amazed at how much water can sit in there.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I like the wrie up and the comparison with the other vehicles. Honest and fairly unbiased. I know how easy it is to find fault with something if you want to, and it is nice to see some balance. :thumbs:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts