Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mice were nibbling on these foam blocks at the rear side of the engine compartment. I’m not sure what these foam blocks actually do. How do I replace them? Can someone give me the GM part name and number? Thanks
Trunk Luggage and bags Vehicle Bag Bumper

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Cushion for the hood, vibration wise. Not sure of the OEM part number.
Think they are held in place with 2 sided tape.

I would be more worried about the mice problem if I were you.
Foam, insulation, wiring looms, MAF sensors, TMPS sensors vital to
operation. My brothers car has suffer huge damage due to furry creatures.
You could maybe buy some foam from a big box store- use the old one as
a template, cut it out, reinstall, with left over product just in case Mickey
returns to your engine bay. Far cheaper than what the dealer/ source
with/without free shipping will charge you.

LAC

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks- I think I caught the rodents before they did any real damage. Is this part called a “Rear Hood Seal”. Looks like it is discontinued. It appears you have to buy the mounting bracket with the foam attached. Can anyone tell me how you remove the mounting bracket from the car? Appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
They are bolted in with 10mm headed bolts. I bought a set of replacements from forum member Hoosier GXP. They replace very easily, less than a minute each. The hard part is buying used ones that look better than your nibbled ones.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Where are the 10mm bolts. I can’t seem to feel them. Are the bolt heads inside the engine compartment or toward the front or the rear?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Note part # 17 in the diagram above for a "Striker" (GM Part number 10273708). Part is now discontinued and the shape looks nothing like the single foam piece. I'm thinking part #4 is the winner at around $4 a piece. Suggest GM Parts Dept. double check the part before purchasing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the diagram. I think the winner is #7. Includes metal bracket and foam. Question now is how does it attach above the fender?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
The foam is glued in a plastic tray. The bolt is right there. Remove the bolt and the tray comes out with the foam attached. I replaced mine but it has been a year now so my memory isn't clear. In your picture, it might be the horizontal bolt to the left of the foam block, partially covered. Lift the flexible shroud to evaluate better. I think the foam is on each side of the shroud. The shroud slides into it.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Mice were nibbling on these foam blocks at the rear side of the engine compartment. I’m not sure what these foam blocks actually do. How do I replace them? Can someone give me the GM part name and number? Thanks View attachment 115327 View attachment 115327
Is that little upper corner that has a tiny piece ripped out, the damage you’re talking about? Or is there more damage that the pic isn’t showing?

I ask because, after looking at mine, the one in your pic looks brand new!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup- the bolts holding it in are right there. I pulled up the plastic shroud cover and it all became visible. I can easily get an open end wrench in there to remove the bolts. It’s easy when you know how :). Thanks very much.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mice were nibbling on these foam blocks at the rear side of the engine compartment. I’m not sure what these foam blocks actually do. How do I replace them? Can someone give me the GM part name and number? Thanks View attachment 115327 View attachment 115327
They prevent carbon monoxide from entering the vehicle’s cabin. I used to have this as one of my parts when I worked at GM.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That’s interesting. So engine gases would be swept out from from the rear of the engine compartment and seep into the cabin via the opening in front of the doors? Do the foam blocks prevent air from escaping from under the hood to the rear? What is the impact on engine compartment temperature? Particularly for the turbo which we know runs hot...

·
Registered
94 Posts
That’s interesting. So engine gases would be swept out from from the rear of the engine compartment and seep into the cabin via the opening in front of the doors? Do the foam blocks prevent air from escaping from under the hood to the rear? What is the impact on engine compartment temperature? Particularly for the turbo which we know runs hot...
The mucket and weatherstripping seals off around the air intake in the cowl so exhaust fumes do get sucked in when you have the climate control fan on. There is one attached to the hood and one on the fender on this car. The vehicles I worked on only had them double side taped to the cowl. The weatherstripping prevent the exhaust fumes from entering the cabin around the doors. Air can still escape from the engine compartment. No impact to the under hood temperature.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The mucket and weatherstripping seals off around the air intake in the cowl so exhaust fumes do get sucked in when you have the climate control fan on. There is one attached to the hood and one on the fender on this car. The vehicles I worked on only had them double side taped to the cowl. The weatherstripping prevent the exhaust fumes from entering the cabin around the doors. Air can still escape from the engine compartment. No impact to the under hood temperature.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That’s the first time I heard it referred to as a mucket. I was wondering what it was called. Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
That’s the first time I heard it referred to as a mucket. I was wondering what it was called. Good to know. Thanks.
-
Well " mucket " then. New one to me too! I might have to write that on the part-for the next owner.
This is.. a discontinued mucket, and ur fucket cause we no longer make... these parts. How nice.
Adapt and overcome... make your own. Then it has a new part name description- Hobart-ucket.

Yeah.. it's never a good thing with carbon monoxide fumes gaining access to the interior of
our car when- the top is in the " up" or closed position- however given that most almost all of
the time in this model- the top is " down " or in the opened position- fresh air to ventilate the
cabin area by force of 70 mph more or less... crack both windows when the top is up, while the
car is warming up.

You should be able to find a like equivalent foam from the big box stores- replace yours with
minimum costs and time consumed on your part. I can just see how this will be presented to
the store employee- U all carry any mucket foam? Then the inquisitive look- wait let me check
with my supervisor on this one... for ya. K?

Fumes of an odorous nature not from your- "tailpipe" or the 2 lb. burrito consumed before hand-
rather those wonderous burnt gases of octane fuel can be an issue even for a Vert like ours.
My brother's old Spitfire had- an exhaust gas leak entering the cabin- noticeable to the passengers
even with the top- down. Custom header- and piping leaked through the transmission tunnel- which
was custom made also- not sealed up completely allowing heat and gases to affect the driver while
in operation. My buddy who I just saw at the track last weekend said- he sealed the tunnel with...
foam, hand cut to block these gases, wrapping the header & piping with heat tape reduced these
emissions- by about 80% give or take. There was still some heat- some smell but nowhere near toxic
levels as before. Weekend in his garage fixed this problem- with some foam- mucket wise.

Gonna be.. a nice day here- Think I'm gonna go for a run later. It's May- maybe its time for the
Go-Pro too? Could be... but first I have to go check my muckets before I drive it.

LAC

·
Registered
21 Posts
Look what I found out on OfferUp....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts