Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled on TSB 08-03-16-001B (copied below) for a 2008 Sky which includes TPMS. Is there one specifically for a 2007 without TPMS? I'd like to have a paper copy with me of the right TSB when I go to the dealer. When done, I want to make sure I can disconnect the main battery for an extended period of time without messing up the FOBs.

For those who are acronym deprived.....
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitoring System

TSB ----------------------
Your Vehicle: 2008 Saturn Sky L4-2.0L Turbo Vehicle » Technical Service Bulletins » All Technical Service Bulletins » Keyless Entry/TPMS - Fobs Inop/TPMS Incorrect Readings Notes Keyless Entry/TPMS - Fobs Inop/TPMS Incorrect Readings TECHNICAL Bulletin No.: 08-03-16-001B Date: July 31, 2008 Subject: Key Fobs Inoperative, TPM System Not Reading Correctly - Dashes On All Four Tire Readings, DTCs C0775, C0569, B3105 Set, Unable to Program TPM Sensors (Reprogram RCDLR) Models: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Malibu 2008 Pontiac G5, G6, Solstice 2008 Saturn AURA, SKY Supercede: This bulletin is being revised to update the Important statement to reflect the new direction to no longer contact TCSC. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-03-16-001A (Section 03 - Suspension). Condition Some customers may comment that the key fobs are inoperative or that the TPM system is showing dashes as the reading for all four tires. Technicians may find DTCs C0775, C0569 and B3105 set simultaneously in the RCDLR module. In addition, the technicians may find Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors are unable to be programmed to the vehicle by adding or releasing pressure to the tire while the vehicles in the TPM learn mode. Cause These conditions may be caused by the following: ^The RCDLR may lose its transmitter and tire pressure monitoring data from its memory if a low voltage condition occurs on the vehicle. ^The ability for TPM learning by adding or releasing pressure to the tire has been disabled in the RCDLR. Correction Reprogram the RCDLR with an updated software calibration to address both issues listed above. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using Service Programming System (SPS). As always, make sure your Tech 2(R) is updated with the latest software. Important: If the Tech 2(R) could not establish communication with the RCDLR AND the programming event ended with error, attempt to reprogram in Service Programming System (SPS) by selecting "Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (TSB 08-03-16-001) with E4399 error Pass Thru Only".

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
The TSB for the key fobs and TPMS was for an issue in 2008. 2007 was not an issue. Nor is 2009. 2008, after having the TSB done, should no longer be an issue.

Got it?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Sky came with a single key and no fobs. I had previously bought 4 brand new fobs on Ebay for $5 each. Yesterday I drove the car to my local locksmith in the condition pictured below. He programmed the 4 fobs for $58. One key cost me $39.

With the interior removed as shown, I have all door and dash switches and such connected for functionality. The radio and air bags are missing. With the car like this, the locksmith got the trunk release and red emergency buttons working. But no luck on getting the door locks working. Hopefully the door locks will work after final assembly.

BTW: I don't like my key fobs. The buttons stick up high above the housing making it extremely easy to accidentally press buttons with the fob in my pocket. Does everyone have this problem? Or are my aftermarket fobs different than OEM?

PS: If you look close at the picture, there are little blue arrows made of painter's tape on the body. One is in the foreground, others seen on the hood. There are others as well. Those are dings. I am having a local paintless dent removal guy come to the house and remove them. I used him before. He does excellent work.

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
The buttons on my OEM fobs are basically flush with the case. The unlock button is slightly convex and the other buttons are slightly concave, but none are what I would call high.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

My cheap copies are going to be troublesome. All buttons are raised, the worst is the red one, next worst is the trunk release. I wonder what an OEM fob looks like.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have an aftermarket also and it does stick up like that.
I accidently hit the trunk release when I turned on the car and started driving....:eek:
Lucky I wasn't going fast. Now that fob stays as a spare and I use the original

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
Thanks!

My cheap copies are going to be troublesome. All buttons are raised, the worst is the red one, next worst is the trunk release. I wonder what an OEM fob looks like.
They look pretty much like this:
Fob - OEM.jpg

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the picture JohnWR. As you say, your buttons are recessed nicely. My aftermarket keys stick up badly. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Assuming the board inside of the fob is similar to the OEM one why not just order a couple of cheap cases from Ebay? You could get them for a third of the price from China but with everything that's going on in the world right now who knows how long they would take to get here. I've bought them from China before to replace fob cases that are worn out and they work as the original fobs but they do not include the electronics.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yesterday I got the 4 new GM-OEM fob housings with the standard recessed button design. I quickly learned that my 4 knock-off aftermarket circuit boards are not compatible without a little sanding of the edges. I setup my belt sander in my vise and carefully rolled the edge of each circuit board on the sander to make the adjustments. The project with all 4 aftermarket fobs went well and now I have fobs with recessed buttons as they should have been from the beginning.

So in conclusion, I bought 4 aftermarket fobs for $5 each, $58 to have a locksmith program them to the car, and $5 each to get recessed buttons. The total for 4 fobs complete was $100.

Thanks Again Sly Bob for the tip on buying GM-OEM fob cases. That did the trick!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts