Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a Sky, and I keep seeing two styles of fog lamps; one with a silver line horizontally across the middle and one without.

...what's the difference?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am in the market for a Sky, and I keep seeing two styles of fog lamps; one with a silver line horizontally across the middle and one without.

Redline Turbo (no chrome bar) vs NA base (with chrome bar). Redline's have a duct located in the grille next to the fog lamp that provides air to the front brakes. Also Redline's have black headlight housings and the NA's have a silver.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Redline Turbo (no chrome bar) vs NA base (with chrome bar). Redline's have a duct located in the grille next to the fog lamp that provides air to the front brakes. Also Redline's have black headlight housings and the NA's have a silver.
You rock dude. That matches up with the car I'm looking at getting. Do you happen to know why some front quarter panels have a line in the middle coming out the vent?

I would love to add one to the car if I can.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You rock dude. That matches up with the car I'm looking at getting. Do you happen to know why some front quarter panels have a line in the middle coming out the vent?

I would love to add one to the car if I can.
Did they look like these?

Those would be from Norm's Fiberglass. They are aftermarket, about $500 a set on his website.
Saturn Sky at Norm's Fiberglass Design Studio
I have never bought anything, but I have read good reviews from many on this forum. There are a few pieces I wouldn't mind doing one day.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoa! Yeah! EXACTLY THAT. I was planning on buying the coupe roof from them. Have you heard any thoughts/ reviews on their stuff?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Whoa! Yeah! EXACTLY THAT. I was planning on buying the coupe roof from them. Have you heard any thoughts/ reviews on their stuff?
Everything I have read has been good, other than lead time can be long. The coupe roof is pretty steep in price IMHO. If I was in the market for a Sky and wanted to put a coupe top on it, I would probably just buy a Solstice Coupe. It's a return on investment scenario for me, I would assume the Solstice Coupe's will always hold their value in comparison to an aftermarket part. I can't imagine someone outside the world of Kappa's giving it any due respect unless you parted it out later. The guy up the road from me just sold a high mileage NA Solstice Coupe for $10,500 which from everything I have seen online is a steal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything I have read has been good, other than lead time can be long. The coupe roof is pretty steep in price IMHO. If I was in the market for a Sky and wanted to put a coupe top on it, I would probably just buy a Solstice Coupe. It's a return on investment scenario for me, I would assume the Solstice Coupe's will always hold their value in comparison to an aftermarket part. I can't imagine someone outside the world of Kappa's giving it any due respect unless you parted it out later. The guy up the road from me just sold a high mileage NA Solstice Coupe for $10,500 which from everything I have seen online is a steal.
I understand. I really don't like the solstice design. I have many reasons for getting a Sky. I don't plan on reselling the one I buy. It'll be mine for life.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I understand. I really don't like the solstice design. I have many reasons for getting a Sky. I don't plan on reselling the one I buy. It'll be mine for life.
I personally have always preferred the Sky to the Solstice. Although a Solstice in the right color combo is still a good looking car IMO. Now far as interiors go, the Sky is leaps and bounds above the Solstice. The interior of the Sky still holds up to contemporary cars minus the infotainment system setup. So I totally understand the preference to the Sky, I just thought I would throw out another option. Since we finally just got a Sky, I don't see us selling ours anytime soon unless something drastic happens. Good luck on your search BTW, we spent a while looking for ours and ended up traveling 800 miles round trip to get the one we wanted within our parameters.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my state the inventory is so low. I'm getting close to doing a road trip. If I the one I want this weekend, I will be over the moon.
Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
510 Posts
We got the Base model Sky. I had my reservations getting the Base over the Red Line, but since we just cruise around, the turbo and performance suspension were features that didn't fit our purpose. We are both 62 years old with good knees so getting the manual transmission was not concerning. One thing I really wanted was a fully optioned Sky. The only feature our Base lacked (that I am aware of) was the driver seat height adjustment of which I added.

My only regret about our decision is not related to getting a Base with manual transmission, but rather the particular one we bought. We spent a lot of extra money and countless hours of my time to get the car to our satisfaction. With a surprise odometer rollback of 111,000, I could have spent less and gotten much better. But we are emotionally past that surprise and are enjoying a restored Sky that now reflects the actual mileage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We got the Base model Sky. I had my reservations getting the Base over the Red Line, but since we just cruise around, the turbo and performance suspension were features that didn't fit our purpose. We are both 62 years old with good knees so getting the manual transmission was not concerning. One thing I really wanted was a fully optioned Sky. The only feature our Base lacked (that I am aware of) was the driver seat height adjustment of which I added.

My only regret about our decision is not related to getting a Base with manual transmission, but rather the particular one we bought. We spent a lot of extra money and countless hours of my time to get the car to our satisfaction. With a surprise odometer rollback of 111,000, I could have spent less and gotten much better. But we are emotionally past that surprise and are enjoying a restored Sky that now reflects the actual mileage.
That makes perfect sense. Thank you for sharing! I test drove a redline, and it was phenomenal. I'm definitely going to buy it.

·
7,048 Posts

squillian, Now that you got your "Turbo - Base model" question answered...
Here is your first quiz follow up question: Pictured below is it a "Base" or "Turbo" SKY?
MARVIC 1 Front Bumper A.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
Hahahaha. My initial thought is Redline, but I see aftermarket stuff, so it could be a base with aftermarket parts.
It could be either...

On one side, the billet grills on the outside vents are missing the spaces for the trim bars of the base model but most Redline owners don't want to restrict airflow to their intercooler like that center billet grill is doing. Hence why my front grills look like they do...(no billet grill in the center lower intake...mine is a highly modified base with a turbo)

Whichever it is though, it is modified. The billet grills, black fog lights, and lower Norm's diffuser are all modifications.

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
You really can't expect to differentiate the models by any external styling. Many NAs have been altered with RL components.

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
You really can't expect to differentiate the models by any external styling. Many NAs have been altered with RL components.
Very true. And some of the Sky to Opel guys go with the silver headlights of the NA since that's how the Opels were outfitted. .

·
7,048 Posts
It could be either...
Nope, this one is 100% straight Redline... 😊

On one side, the billet grills on the outside vents are missing the spaces for the trim bars of the base model but most Redline owners don't want to restrict airflow to their intercooler like that center billet grill is doing. Hence why my front grills look like they do...(no billet grill in the center lower intake...mine is a highly modified base with a turbo)
The bullet grills for the base models fog lights came in two section as for the Redline version came in one section...
Have you notice that the grills showing on my car have less cross bars 11 going across and your car is showing 16 cross bars plus the bigger bar in the center.
Meaning my center grill would have less air restriction to the intercooler..,
Besides this bigger intercooler gave no problem inhaling...

MARVIC 1 Intercooler.JPG

Whichever it is though, it is modified. The billet grills, black fog lights, and lower Norm's diffuser are all modifications.
Your 100% Correct!

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
Have you notice that the grills showing on my car have less cross bars 11 going across and your car is showing 16 cross bars plus the bigger bar in the center.
Meaning my center grill would have less air restriction to the intercooler..,
Besides this bigger intercooler gave no problem inhaling...

View attachment 113185
I still don't like restricting the intercooler any more than necessary. I don't know if the bullet grill mounts like the NAs does (to the existing plastic grill) but I didn't want any more restriction than what the plastic one provided to protect the intercooler from impacts with major road debris. You are right though that it is probably an inconsequential restriction to cooling an air charge from the K04 turbo in the DDM intercooler...

...though scanning and evaluating IAT1 versus IAT2 temps both with and without the billet grill is the only way to know for sure. Also this turbo is moving a LOT more air than a K04... (PAW's WR-4 is what is on my car)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts