Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My hubby and I test drove the SKY in Richmond BC last weekend and truly loved the way she handled, the shifting is not as smooth as some of the other cars I have driven but all in all she was a great 20 minute ride. My hubby on the other hand thinks the shifting felt like he was driving a truck but he also did like the way she handled. We were the first to drive this car as it only had 18 km on it. My question to all of you that have been lucky to drive the car the past couple of months, has the car shift gotten better or worse? Any feedback good or bad is welcomed as your comments are more useful than the write ups in the car magazines!
Patiently waiting for my SKY!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Shifting

I have had my standard shift Sky for a couple of months now and have not had any issue with the shifting.

I didn't think it was bad at first, although a little tight, but I love the way it shifts. Nice tight short throws make it a pleasure to drive, and it is even better on the "twisties" both shifting up and downshifting into the curves.

Maybe the one you drove just needed a little time to feel more comfortable.

Just my HO

·
Registered
94 Posts
Only have about 700 mi on it but thus far no change in the way it shifts. It is a bit stiff and takes more "force" than I expected going from one gear to the next (especially on a downshift), but every stick is different. I assume that with time I will train myself to know what rpm to shift at for a smoother transition, where the clutch pressure point actually is, etc. Have had many many sticks and this one ranks up near the top for being solid, smooth, and fun. The handling far outweighs any of its other minor faults ! Just get it in gear and let the fun take over !

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I have about 1150 on mine and the shifter has loosened up. When I first got it I had a hard time skipping gears, ie. 2nd to 4th and back (residential driving) and 5th to 3rd(passing), but now there is no problem. From other discussions and thread along this topic line the manual does loosen up a bit. I think it shifts great, short throws, and a good solid feel.:thumbs:

·
Registered
34 Posts
this is probably a dumb question... but please dun laff...

I've never driven a manual car before in my life until i recently purchased my 350Z in April. I drove off the lot not even knowing how to get it home hahaha...
I'm better at it now... and now I know what I've been missing out on driving an automatic.

Anyways.. my question is... the SKy is a 5speed.. my Z is a 6 speed. What's the difference? And if someone's kind enuff to take a few moments out to explain to me when I should be shifting gears up and down.... and how to have one of those burst of speed at take off in case someone wants to race a bit.

On the 6 speed.. i basically shift gears up ever 10 miles on my odometer... and when coming to a stop... i'll take off from 3rd....

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
Technically the only difference between a 5-speed manual and a 6-speed manual is the number of forward gear choices you have.

Now, there are a couple reasons why a company may choose a 6 speed over a 5 speed. But when it really boils down to it, the decision is usually based off of engine power band vs. highway driveability.

For instance, the Pontiac Vibe GT has a 6 speed transmission with a 1.8L 180 hp engine. Well, that engine makes its power very high in the RPM band so you want that engine to be revving high when you're accelerating. Not only that but it doesn't have a lot of torque compared to the amount of HP it produces. By making the ratios between the 6 gears close, you can keep that engine revving high during acceleration yet, when it is in 6th gear, maintain good fuel ecconomy for highway driving. If they went with a 5-speed gearbox the engine would bog down at each shift since the RPMs would be dropping below the optimum power band.

To get an idea of this try skip shifting from 1st to 3rd sometime. The car wil bog until the RPMs come up to where they start getting into the car's desired power range. The Sky's engine seems to have a great balance of Torque and HP. The more torque an engine has the easier it is for that car to accelerate (really watered down definition here) so keeping the revs high is not nearly as important.

On the Z I'm guessing that the engine/car combo accelerates better using a close ratio 6-speed gearbox than it would with a 5-speed gearbox with a bigger ratio in between gears.

One other notable difference between a 5-speed and 6-speed is cost and complexity. The 6-speed will cost more and be slightly more complex than a 5-speed. Size MAY also be increased but that would be pure speculation on my part.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Gearbox

A article in motortrend mag. called Honda's S2000 gearbox "the best in the world". (ca'nt recall the issue sorry) - Someone who has driven both of these cars can probably give you a good viewpoint. Gearboxes of one model can have small variance's, and all drivers are not created equal.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I drove the Solstice in January. It was a cold day and the car didn't have time to warm up. It was also a brand new car. In late April I drove two more Solstii in Las Vegas at the GM Drive Event. The cars were easy to shift and the drive was a lot of fun.

Now I have to say that in both instances I never got the car to highway speeds. I was in 3rd gear at most but downshifting was no problem in Las Vegas.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your husband is right. It does shift like a pickup truck, because the transmission came from a pickup truck (Chevy Colorado).

I've only had my Sky for about 800 miles, and yes, I would like for it to shift a little smoother. However, with all of the great things about this car, that is easily forgiveable.

·
Registered
325 Posts
A five speed is also going to weigh less then a six-speed. Aisin(sp?) builds the Kappa's five speed long with the S2000's six-speed. FYI

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
I have put 2300 miles on my Sky so far, and I think it still is a bit stiff in the shifting. It just takes getting used to, but I still sometimes have to release the clutch and shift into reverse twice just to make sure I have it in gear-it just "feels" wrong sometimes on the first try(don't want to grind any gears:nono: ). I've gotten used to shifting between 3000-4000 rpms in each gear. Often, if I'm driving in town along the parkway, I leave it in 4th and don't go up to 5th since the speed limit is only 50.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
To Shift or Not to Shift? That is the question.

For me it just seems like you just need to get used to it. I haven't driven a stick for over 8 years, so it has taken me awhile to get used to it. It is not like driving a truck. I've driven those too and it is much easier, even if it isn't "broken in yet" It is all a matter of what you prefer. Do you want to shift :thumbs: or do you not :nono: (automatic) want to shift.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Titan Fan said:
Your husband is right. It does shift like a pickup truck, because the transmission came from a pickup truck (Chevy Colorado).
This really has no bearing on the feel of the transmission. If it had been in the Kappa first, would you have said the truck shifts like it was a car?:lol:

They selected this transmission because it was off the shelf (kept the cost down), it's shift points matched what was needed for the Sky, and it has the torque and hp requirements to go between both the standard and RedLine engines (which will also keep cost down).:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
AnhCung said:
... and when coming to a stop... i'll take off from 3rd....
Don't do this! This will shorten the clutch and transmission's life significantly. Start from 1st only, even if it scares you and is difficult to keep from killing it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
redline thanx for the warning.. but dun worry.. i dun start off on 3rd at a stop... when i meant coming to a stop.. when it's still runnin at 15-20 miles I would pull it back into 3rd... when i'm completely still.. i start from 1st.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
AnhCung said:
On the 6 speed.. i basically shift gears up ever 10 miles on my odometer... and when coming to a stop... i'll take off from 3rd....
If I understand your post correctly, I think you can get a lot more out of each gear. Shifting into 3rd at 20 MPH ... 4th at 30 MPH etc... 5th at 40 MPH is putting a lot of stress on your transmission. You should be able to easily get a lot more out of each gear. Try keeping an eye on your tachometer and shifting at around 3500-4000 RPM for starters and work you way up from there.
You should be able to downshift into 2nd at 15-20 MPH.

·
Registered
804 Posts
We haven't had any problems with the shifter. Actually thought it was easier than others, just had a shorter throw and at first, I tended to try to punch it farther than needed. Ours just slips in nice and easy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm better at it now... and now I know what I've been missing out on driving an automatic.
Mostly you've been missing leg cramps. Drive in creepalong rush hour traffic
for a few months and you will be dreaming of an automatic. Why buy a car that you have to pedal?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have 2500 miles on my sky now and find the shift to be a blast. Its location is perfect. It is not the smoothest shift I have ever driven - if you don't manage the clutch and gas right it can seem down right clunky. But it is fun, and it does work very well when you get used to it.:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts