Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everybody!

New to the board, but I just love SKY, Sol looks more like a Miata "Girly" car but SKY is a nice modern design.. Of course they are the same car but anyways :)

Do we know for sure that SKY would have plastic panels? Would be cool :)

So some people worry it's not fast, first of all it has all bases to be a real sports car -

RWD
IRS
ALUMINUM parts (suspension)
etc..

Upgrading the engine for power could be done on a Civic so don't worry,
simple bolt ons and GM ECU tweaks should get it to 200 hp (peak) and to 6.9 0-60 14.9 1/4 mile?

But I hope that there is enough space in the engine compartment to fit GM/Toyota supercharger kit for 2.2-2.4L and we are talking 250+ :)

I would say with supercharger 5.9 13.9 times are possible.

If anybody has pics of Sol/SKY engine compartment post them here..

EDIT:

Looks like there is some space for a supercharger. That ugly intake has to go!
Sol engine pic..

EDIT 2:

No space for a supercharger?




Thank you,
mhack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
The 2.4L Supercharger is designed only for the previous generation 2.4L PRE_ECOTEC engines. That Supercharger will not mate up to or even fit properly on our engines. There is supposedly a new 2.2L ECOTEC Supercharger in the works that has not officially come out yet. There are several issues stopping this kit from working on our cars as well without significant work being done to them.

Unless you want to wait for a RL Sky you're best bet is going purely aftermarket kit and not trying to modify one of the GM kits ofr this car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about using 2.2L ECOTEC kit?
All part numbers are known..

Is 2.4L ECOTEC physically different from 2.2 ECOTEC?

brentil said:
The 2.4L Supercharger is designed only for the previous generation 2.4L PRE_ECOTEC engines. That Supercharger will not mate up to or even fit properly on our engines. There is supposedly a new 2.2L ECOTEC Supercharger in the works that has not officially come out yet. There are several issues stopping this kit from working on our cars as well without significant work being done to them.

Unless you want to wait for a RL Sky you're best bet is going purely aftermarket kit and not trying to modify one of the GM kits ofr this car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
mhack said:
Hello Everybody!

New to the board, but I just love SKY, Sol looks more like a Miata "Girly" car but SKY is a nice modern design.. Of course they are the same car but anyways :)

Do we know for sure that SKY would have plastic panels? Would be cool :)

So some people worry it's not fast, first of all it has all bases to be a real sports car -

RWD
IRS
ALUMINUM parts (suspension)
etc..

Upgrading the engine for power could be done on a Civic so don't worry,
simple bolt ons and GM ECU tweaks should get it to 200 hp (peak) and to 6.9 0-60 14.9 1/4 mile?

But I hope that there is enough space in the engine compartment to fit GM/Toyota supercharger kit for 2.2-2.4L and we are talking 250+ :)

I would say with supercharger 5.9 13.9 times are possible.

If anybody has pics of Sol/SKY engine compartment post them here..

EDIT:

Looks like there is some space for a supercharger. That ugly intake has to go!
Sol engine pic..



Thank you,
mhack
Well the Sky will NOT have plastic panels, just like all new Model Saturns will be metal...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
mhack said:
How about using 2.2L ECOTEC kit?
All part numbers are known..

Is 2.4L ECOTEC physically different from 2.2 ECOTEC?
The throttlebody is supposedly different in some manor, but the opening size is the same as proven recently by Cobalt onwers. The main problem is the kit is designed for the engine that fits in a East-West configured FWD engine bay where you have room on the left and right and in the front for the Supercharger itself and for piping. The Solstice is North-South RWD making the intake portion of the Supercharger butt right into the firewall area. Also the area the Supercharger sits in is taken up by various tanks and such. The problem with the image you've shown is from the old rolling chasis. The engine compartment does not look like that in the final version anymore. The kit can be modified more then likely to fit, but the only thing I'm really trying to say is that the kit as is will not work in these cars. So you'd be better off going with an aftermarket kit that will be designed and tuned specificly for the 2.4L and it's VVT that the 2.2L doesn't have and for the Kappa engine bay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
If you're actually interested in following this approach, there is an eaton supercharger of the same family in the supercharged XTerra that might just be perfect. It has the intake correct for a North/South orientation, and powers a similarly sized four cylinder engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
If you're actually interested in following this approach, there is an eaton supercharger of the same family in the supercharged XTerra that might just be perfect. It has the intake correct for a North/South orientation, and powers a similarly sized four cylinder engine.
is it the new eaton with the forward facing inlet that is even more efficient than the current Gen. V blowers? i wasn't aware that they were using them yet. cool!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
The inlet of the supercharger points perfectly horizontal to the drivers side. On the XTerra there is an inlet that bends downward, which wouldn't work. But the supercharger itself would be perfect. All you would need is the right throttle body and a plate to mount it. I could fab up a TB mount plate in my sleep....

EDIT: And, of course, a supercharger mount - which I have never attempted. If there would be any problems with this supercharger, it would be in the supercharger mount & the FI computer...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
If you compare the current Cobalt SS Supercharger to the Xterra one you'll notice a very big difference. The Cobalt Supercharger's intake points straight backwards. The Xterra Supercharger has a right angle bend that points into the engine bay instead of straight backwards.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
There's room for the V8 in there because Mallet moved stuff around to amke it work. When you buy his car you're paying him $18,000 above the price of a Solstice to make this happen. We were talking about a stock GM part working in a stock GM engine bay. What I keep saying is it wont fit without modification, I have not said it wont fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
I think I see what aloch is referring to now. The way the supercharger sits in that ecotec picture, the XTerra supercharger would still have the inlet pointed down to the drivers feet. However, the way the ecotec is mounted is not a standard way of mounting superchargers, and is only because of the fwd configuration that the ion/cobalt uses. As I pointed out, a supercharger mount would have to be fabbed up, and the XTerra supercharger shows promise as one that would fit. One prob though, I initially thought the XTerra supercharger was on the lil ol nissan 4 cylinder , not the bigger 3.3 v6. It might be "too much" air flow for the NA 2.4 ecotec.


I'm telling ya, with all the problems of fixing up the 2.4 ecotec, from finding a supercharger that will fit to finding an ECU to control it, I'm starting to think my full blown OBDII 3800 Turbo swap is looking more and more like the economical way to go...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
Well the Sky will NOT have plastic panels, just like all new Model Saturns will be metal...
Ya know, this is one of my only regrets about the Sky. Having owned a couple of plastic body panel cars, I can honestly say I prefer them by far. Since the Kappa doesn't depend on the exterior body panels for any of the structure (windshield pillar excluded), this would have been the perfect car for them and could have saved an enormous amount of weight. Oh well, I guess that means I'll have to learn how to make carbon fiber body panels...


edit: If gm had done fiberglass panels like the vette, it could have saved weight and not had the "stigma" of plastic. There is definately a lot of weight that can be saved now by swapping out body panels...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top