Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As others here mentioned in other threads, the front fascia lower air duct can easily get busted-up when parking a Sky up to a high curb/bumper, scraping the bottom up. I bought my Sky with this thing bouncing around below yet remaining in it general position. Since I have the front of my Sky on jack stands for other work, I thought I'd examine this lower air duct.

Yep, it's messed up real good. The rear mounting tabs are non-existent and the top support is detached except at one end as shown. There are also other cracks abound. I bought a new one for $76.33 with shipping included from GM Parts Store HERE. I hope I get it quickly.

My Base Sky is also missing the lowest-hanging rubber air scoop but I am intentionally doing without it to increase my ground clearance from 3" to something much more practical. Looking at the area where it mounts, I think it got torn off which tore up the rear mounts of this duct. Fortunately my upper duct survived well along with the rest of the under-body without even a scratch......except for the underside of the front fascia itself.....lots of abrasion there.

·
Super Moderator
6,653 Posts

My Base Sky is also missing the lowest-hanging rubber air scoop but I am intentionally doing without it to increase my ground clearance from 3" to something much more practical. Looking at the area where it mounts, I think it got torn off which tore up the rear mounts of this duct. Fortunately my upper duct survived well along with the rest of the under-body without even a scratch......except for the underside of the front fascia itself.....lots of abrasion there.
You may need that lower "scoop" in hot weather, as it is responsible for much of the cooling air being properly directed There have been overheating problems caused by it being missing or damaged.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
JohnWR, I understand but could the over-heating be related applicable to the 2.0L turbo and aggressive driving? We watch the world go by in our 2.4L n/a, and we don't throttle hard. I really don't want that lower air scoop if I can get by without it.

I suppose the best thing is to be mindful of the operating temperatures and install one later if it becomes concerning. I admit, I have not driven our Sky in temps over 95F. Maybe I will see a problem. I just haven't experienced the condition yet.

·
Super Moderator
6,653 Posts
JohnWR, I understand but could the over-heating be related applicable to the 2.0L turbo and aggressive driving? We watch the world go by in our 2.4L n/a, and we don't throttle hard. I really don't want that lower air scoop if I can get by without it.

I suppose the best thing is to be mindful of the operating temperatures and install one later if it becomes concerning. I admit, I have not driven our Sky in temps over 95F. Maybe I will see a problem. I just haven't experienced the condition yet.
I have seen it mentioned for both engines, and while it is going to be more likely with agressive driving, a long run up a steep road will demand a lot of power and therefore generate a lot of waste heat.

If your car basically never leaves town you are probably pretty safe, but yes, I would watch the coolant temperature in any case.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You may need that lower "scoop" in hot weather, as it is responsible for much of the cooling air being properly directed There have been overheating problems caused by it being missing or damaged.
Is there a part number for that "scoop"? I am almost certain mine is damaged from the previous owner. I have also ordered the part referenced by gramps above.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
CLICK HERE for a new one sold on eBay for $55.17 with free shipping.
I decided to buy one after seeing that it may contribute structurally. I can always trim off the lowest-hanging rubber portion to increase ground clearance. In trimmed-fashion, it just might still improve air flow compared to being completely missing.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I got it but it is different than the picture above. The one I got seems like it will hang lower given the mounting holes are higher. Also, the holes are in different positions. The differences, especially the "low-hang" troubles me. If it hangs too low, I will trim off the flexible rubber bottom portion.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it the same part number for the 2.4 and the 2.0?
I understood it was a common part regardless of model, but maybe I am mistaken.

For all I know, I have the right version for my particular 2007 Base Sky. Unfortunately I do not have any remnant of the original scoop so I have nothing to compare against. I assume a previous owner broke it running over something, then removed the rest of it.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Are the measurements the same for both parts?
Just the mounting holes are in different locations?
The new one- has flaps on the outer edges L & R with mounting holes.
The old one does not. However the old one has a metal bracket with mounting holes lower.
The new one does not. Those are the only differences I can see from these photos.
Measure, mount/install and measure height again for ground clearance. You should be ok.
However you can trim it down some- if you feel you need more clearance?

Mine is worn some on the bottom of this air deflector- gives me warning when I am close.
Do you have mud flaps installed on this car? They can rub too- on occasion.

Coolant temps- air flow directed to the radiator and minor very minor down force to the front.
In my RL model- with the intercooler blocking the air flow to the radiator this deflector is needed.
In the N/A not as much because the air flow to the radiator is not blocked by the intercooler.
When driving hard or up hill the strain to the transmission will raise your temps some- not much. 4-6 degrees maybe in the DIC. In stop and go traffic your not getting any air flow to cool things down anyway. A coolant flush- maybe a new thermostat will keep things cool for you.

IF your seeing higher than normal temp ranges ( 194-205 ) even when you are up in to the 214-217 range your still good.
However- when you get above 225-227 range or above 235-250 it is time to shut it down- no matter if you do have an air defector or not. The other part the scoop is partly cosmetic and functional with some structural reinforcement to the nose or bumper. Air flow under the car, can be just as important as air flow over the body surface. Wind tunnel tests around the nose, over the windshield, around side mirrors, off the rear spoiler- to where this air flow is directed underneath our car. The rear diffuser is another part of this equation when air flow is escaping from under the car.

Busted front parts on low slung car with minimal ground clearance- u don't say? Imagine that.

LAC

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks LAC for your thoughts and information.

With my other vehicles, there have been so many times where I drove over obstacles in the center of my lane, from road kill to lumber, to broken concrete, so ground clearance is a huge concern of mine. Once the air duct arrives, I will assemble everything as designed, drive the car 10 feet backward and 10 feet forward, then inspect how low the scoop hangs. I do anticipate trimming some amount making sure it is not any lower than any other part of the car. Being a 2.4L without the intercooler obstruction, I am comfortable with the thought of doing so.

BTW: I don't have mud flaps, and the car is not modified to sit lower.

·
Super Moderator
6,653 Posts
There have been so many times where I drove over obstacles in the center of my lane, from road kill to lumber, to broken concrete curbs, so ground clearance is a huge concern of mine. Once I get the air duct, I will assemble everything as designed, drive the car 10 feet backward and 10 feet forward, then inspect how low it hangs.

BTW: I don't have mud flaps, and the car is not modified to sit lower.
It seems to me that you need to find a better class of road. I have just shy of 200k miles (combined) on my two Skys, and both air dams are intact.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It seems to me that you need to find a better class of road. I have just shy of 200k miles (combined) on my two Skys, and both air dams are intact.
The roads we travel will have a rare unavoidable obstacle that requires "passing over" instead of going around. It takes only one such incident becoming an undercarriage thrasher. I don't want to risk such damage if I can avoid it through trimming the air scoop.

I bought my Sky with a missing air scoop and the main air duct damaged. What I do here will be an improvement over what hasn't been an over-heating concern to-date.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After some patient waiting, my new frontal air duct finally arrived. I purchased it from "GM Parts On Line" at a cost of $76.33 including shipping. The scoop pictured above it was $60.55. Now to get them installed and evaluate if I will be trimming the bottom of the scoop to increase ground clearance. I will post pictures of what this looks like prior to any such trimming.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts