Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in Virginia which has a front license plate law. We ordered our SKY from NC, which does not. Other than moving to NC, (we only live 15 minutes from the line) we don't know of any other solution other than to ruin the front view by attaching the front plate. We are just trying to decide if it's worth the risk of not putting the plate on the front at all, and just waiting to see if we get stopped. Any thoughts?? Especially from any of you law officials out there!!

·
Registered
877 Posts
I think the ticket is $125 in NY. Most I know without the front plate say "Ill just pay it"

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
No front plate on my Sky, and I live in IL which requires them...so far, so good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've never had a front plate on any of my cars and have never been bothered in 7 years of driving. When I worked for Mercedes we would leave them off and tell the customer to blame it on the dealership for not putting it on..............ignorance is bliss. :thumbs:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Texas requires front plate, so you just get used to the look. Sure don't want to get pulled over for an avoidable problem. Does not look too bad. See my Gallery photos. Gives you another place to show off speciality plates.:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey SkyForUs,

This is a regular topic of discussion, but since you asked for a law enf officer's perspective (retired cop, now lawyer) I'll gladly share what I have before ... we can debate the pros & cons of the law 'till the cows come home, but if it's the law in a person's state one could get a ticket. True, it may not be up there with kidnapping the Lindbergh baby, but a hassle & coslty event nonetheless.

I don't judge those who don't want to ruin their car's looks, but I plan to affix it because I don't want to put any of my former brethren (and sisters) in the position of stopping me. And don't want the hassle. But that's my personal decision.

COULD an officer stop you? Yes. Would they? Some would. Those who "get it" (i.e., car enthusiasts) may be less likely to do so than others, but others sure could ... and they might too; if for no other reason than to see the inside of your Sky (just kidding on that one). LOL; my two cents worth.

Would having it in your turnk suffice? For some, maybe. For a judge? Maybe. Do they have to accept it if it's there or within reach? No, they don't. Would a cop or judge buy that you didn't want to junk up the looks of the car? Hmmmm, I guess maybe.

With my luck I'd be the first one in Minnesota to get the chair for not having it on. As ugly as it is, it's the law here, and so it'll go on. But again, that's just me. If others want to roll the dice, more power to 'em.

Oh, have I stopped people for no front plate, including sports cars? Yup, sure have. Why? Well, it's the law here. Did I write everyone a ticket for it? Well, for that you'll have to read me my Miranda warning first :)

Scott / Minneapolis

·
Registered
185 Posts
Teacher1 said:
Hey SkyForUs,

This is a regular topic of discussion, but since you asked for a law enf officer's perspective (retired cop, now lawyer) I'll gladly share what I have before ... we can debate the pros & cons of the law 'till the cows come home, but if it's the law in a person's state one could get a ticket. True, it may not be up there with kidnapping the Lindbergh baby, but a hassle & coslty event nonetheless.

I don't judge those who don't want to ruin their car's looks, but I plan to affix it because I don't want to put any of my former brethren (and sisters) in the position of stopping me. And don't want the hassle. But that's my personal decision.

COULD an officer stop you? Yes. Would they? Some would. Those who "get it" (i.e., car enthusiasts) may be less likely to do so than others, but others sure could ... and they might too; if for no other reason than to see the inside of your Sky (just kidding on that one). LOL; my two cents worth.

Would having it in your turnk suffice? For some, maybe. For a judge? Maybe. Do they have to accept it if it's there or within reach? No, they don't. Would a cop or judge buy that you didn't want to junk up the looks of the car? Hmmmm, I guess maybe.

With my luck I'd be the first one in Minnesota to get the chair for not having it on. As ugly as it is, it's the law here, and so it'll go on. But again, that's just me. If others want to roll the dice, more power to 'em.

Oh, have I stopped people for no front plate, including sports cars? Yup, sure have. Why? Well, it's the law here. Did I write everyone a ticket for it? Well, for that you'll have to read me my Miranda warning first :)

Scott / Minneapolis
:agree: :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
THERE'S NO PLATE ON THE FRONT OF MY CAR???

From Illinois - no plate -- no interst from the cops either.
State Cop down the street told me -- unless you get pinched for a moving violation, they really don't care

·
Registered
357 Posts
New Jersey requires a front plate - but I don't have mine on and it's been that way since day one (4/27). Many cops have noticed my car, but I think they're more into the looks of it right now rather than whether it has it's front plate or not. I live relatively close to Pennsylvania, which doesn't require a front plate, so I'm assuming I haven't gathered attention from the police b/c at first they must think I'm from PA!!! :lol: Regardless, I think the front plate, a very big afterthought on GM's designers part, ruins the look of the car. I have plates on the fronts of my other two vehicles, and the SKY is not a daily driver. Do what you want is what I say. However, if it becomes too much of an issue in the future I *may* have to put it on :eek:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Ontario requires a front plate. I just couldn't put one on Pepper! I'm taking the risk. I figure that most of the time, unless you are doing something else to really piss of the cop, they arn't going to stop you. I think giving you a ticket for no front plate is a bonus when they get you for something else...like speeding.

I'll see what the ticket costs and what frequency I get them.

Almost a month and no one has bothered me so far. And the car will go away for the winter in a couple of months.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
It all depends

I live in Ohio - which has a front plate law - and many sites go on at length about all the benefits - many of which seem to me to be somewhat circular - and every state around us does not require front plates. Driving around in the last couple weeks I see maybe 1 in 10 vehicles on the road with no front plate. Some are front Michigan or Pennsylvania - some still are brand new and still have temporary tags - some are Corvettes (only about 1 in 10 that I see around here DOES have a front plate). So I am thinking that since there are a number of reasons why any random car on the street might not have a front plate - that no front plate alone is not likely to be a major reason for getting stopped. There are a couple of areas around here though that will stop people for tings like not obeying a sign that had fallen over - sign said Contruction - Road Closed - but was literally face down on the ground - and a friend of mine got a moving violation, points on her license, and higher insurance for 3 years - because the officer said "you should have known" -

the laws are very specific though - dealing with everything from height above the ground - not covering the various aspects of the plate - etc - back in high school I was riding with a friend and her parents when they got stopped for not having the county sticker on the rear plate - they had it - but for some reason had not attched it - although I think it was my friend waving out the back window at the officer that prompted him to take a closer look at the vehicle.

Am I rambling? maybe? but anyway - I suspect that when I get my Sky I will not attach the front plate - at least until the first time I have to pay a fine for not having it - then I will likely change my mind. Or maybe I will drive around with a video camera for a week and argue that a law that cannot be applied/enforced adequately and equal to all "law-breakers" is unfair.

·
Registered
153 Posts
SKY FOR US said:
We live in Virginia which has a front license plate law. We ordered our SKY from NC, which does not. Other than moving to NC, (we only live 15 minutes from the line) we don't know of any other solution other than to ruin the front view by attaching the front plate. We are just trying to decide if it's worth the risk of not putting the plate on the front at all, and just waiting to see if we get stopped. Any thoughts?? Especially from any of you law officials out there!!

Living that close to the NC border, I wouldn't think you would catch that much attention for front plate. I live in central Va and am still debating whether to attach the plate or not...:confused: Fortunately I live close to Liberty University, which has thousands of out of state cars (most no front plates) so I'm leaning towards NOT attaching it. At age 62, I probably wouldn't blend in too well with the student body... but I don't think an officer would even notice me in the car... Just gotta get that right foot trained to lighten up a little.....:D :D :D :thumbs:

·
Registered
150 Posts
There's laws about lowering, raising, tinting, noisy mufflers, modifying, not stopping when turning right on red, etc. All things that the police have the discretion of ticketing. While you run the risk of any (or all :rolleyes:) of these, in my experience unless the officer is completely bored, on a crusade, or filling a quota, he or she is not going to bother with the paperwork.

My best advice is to do what you want and be VERY courteous if you get pulled over for speeding (which of course, none of us would EVER do :lol:) or for some other reason. The last thing you want to do is get something tacked on just because they can.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ohio here too, and we're going to go topless ... I mean frontless, until we have no choice. If we get a ticket, on it goes... it may come off and sit in the trunk again. For now, we'll carry it along,with a wrench ( just in case). I think if we're crossing the border ( the northern one) we'll put it on to avoid being held up in customs....Somedays they look for any reason to pull you over and check you out. :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
I'll see what the ticket costs and what frequency I get them.
That's my plan too. So far the tally is 0 front plates, 2 traffic stops, 4 cops looking the car over thoroughly, and 1 ticket (but not for the plate.)

·
Registered
223 Posts
There's a guy or I guess it could be a gal, but I'm guessing it's a guy, who drives a Charger in my neighborhood (downtown Chicago) and parks it on the street. He used to put his front plate on the dash, and still got a ticket about every other week (that I saw - I'm sure there were more times). Recently he stopped putting it on the dash, which seems smarter to me anyway, since he was just drawing attention to it not being mounted. But I have to wonder if he's paying all those tickets...I want to say it's a $75 ticket here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would like to see more recent information on this. We just moved to Illinois from Indiana and I don’t want to put the front plate on our 2007 Redline. Are those of you who left it off in Illinois still getting by with it 14 years later?

·
Registered
381 Posts
It all depends on law enforcement. With COVID, some municipalities are looking at any way to generate more revenue. Chicago is now using a form of photo radar and will issue speeding tickets for as low as 6 mph over the limit. No license plate gives probable cause to make a stop 🛑, issue a ticket and perhaps go fishing 🎣 for other possible violations.
In a previous life most law enforcement would ignore not displaying the front plate, now many are being pressured to generate more 💰.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
No front plate in a jurisdiction that requires one is like having a sign painted on the car saying "Stop me at will - free ticket". Any small driving move that could tick off a cop - squeal the tires, brake too hard, drive to close to the car in front - and they can hand you the ticket for the plate.. Better drive like driving instructor would of you want to avoid that.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
We live in the Chicago north-west suburbs. I have been pulled over twice for displaying my front license plate improperly. On one vehicle, the plate was unknowingly bent back from parking up against a high curb. I bent it back in front of the officer and was let go. The second incident was with my Corvette where I had the plate on the dash board. That cost me $100. Since then, I always display my front license plate regardless of vehicle.

As much as I don't like the front plate on my Sky, it is the lesser of the two evils. At least there are no holes drilled into the face of the front bumper skin. Only two holes drilled from the bottom up which are not be seen when the bracket is removed. As you can see, the plate is mounted in my signature picture. I don't like it, but over time it bothers me less and less.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts