Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
140492-2922[1].jpg

O.k so all my fellow CDN SKY purchasers something you might want to consider is the damn placement for the front liscence plate. O.k so besides having holes drilled into your bumper you will notice where they plan to put the plate is covering the whole front of the car & looks hideous! I called my dealer early this a.m after reviewing the picture attached & confirmed with the sales manager that my plate be left off the front of the car & myself & my mechanic will rig up something to have it sit in the front grill part instead of drilling into my poor bumper causing rusty holes in a year! Just thought I would pass this along to all my fellow CDN SKY purchasers as my sisters SOL looks ruined since her dealership did this to her car prior to her picking it up, it truly looks hideous & ruins the whole look of the front of the car.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
I agree .... my dealership will leave mine off also..... i will take care of it.... OOPSY... SRY OFFICER..... I HAD IT THERE..... REALLY I DID... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yes - here in Illinois I will be telling my dealer to LEAVE IT OFF.:nono:
Someone far smarter than I said -- attach it to the screen in the center intake...
Would this block air flow to the radiator??:confused:

Is there enough clearence to hang it below??:confused:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Chloe said:
View attachment 1049

O.k so all my fellow CDN SKY purchasers something you might want to consider is the damn placement for the front liscence plate. O.k so besides having holes drilled into your bumper you will notice where they plan to put the plate is covering the whole front of the car & looks hideous! I called my dealer early this a.m after reviewing the picture attached & confirmed with the sales manager that my plate be left off the front of the car & myself & my mechanic will rig up something to have it sit in the front grill part instead of drilling into my poor bumper causing rusty holes in a year! Just thought I would pass this along to all my fellow CDN SKY purchasers as my sisters SOL looks ruined since her dealership did this to her car prior to her picking it up, it truly looks hideous & ruins the whole look of the front of the car.
I myself have no problem with the plate location. My understanding is that the bolt holding the plate holder is on the underneath side of the front bumper so the holes will not be visible.I'll not be putting it in the way of the cooling effects of the car either.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
SkyBaby said:
I agree .... my dealership will leave mine off also..... i will take care of it.... OOPSY... SRY OFFICER..... I HAD IT THERE..... REALLY I DID... SkyBaby-07
I was actually trying to figure out a way that it could be hid underneath the bumper and then with the press of the button it pops out and becomes visisble!

Officer, could you please check again, I am sure that my front license plate is there!! :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
richmcc said:
I was actually trying to figure out a way that it could be hid underneath the bumper and then with the press of the button it pops out and becomes visisble!

Officer, could you please check again, I am sure that my front license plate is there!! :D
Sounds like patent pending:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SkyBaby said:

YOU HAVE TO HAVE ONE ON YOUR CAR IN THE STATES? I NEVER KNEW THAT! THANKS FOR THE F.Y.I:cheers:

·
Registered
55 Posts
front lic plate position

Thanks for the tip to have dealer leave plate bracket off'. I believe there is a
aftermarket electric device to flip lic plate to be visible or not visible [it was designed mainly for car shows]

·
Registered
251 Posts
I for one am NOT going to install the plate on the front of my car and it will sit in the dash when I cruise around. I do not care if I get fined ro whatever because if they want to get my license number they can turn around and follow me to get it. I do not want it to steal any looks away from the front of the car.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
hmmmmm... i would be interested... PM me.. please, the info SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
102 Posts
richmcc said:
Only in certain states! Some do not require it!

Anybody know the fine for not having it in California?
It's a fix-it ticket.
Can cost $10 as a processing fee.
Some cities are raising the penalty.
$25 in some with reduction once fixed.
Yorba Linda passed an ordenance increasing to 150
with reduction to 75 once fixed.

Enforcement is aggrssive as cities move towards automated photo devices
for red light enforcement.
In L.A. an they started pushing parking enforcement to ticket parked cars as well.
Prepared to be hassled if you go without.

The California Vehicle Code (CVC) requires that all vehicles registered in the State of
California have a front license plate.

5200 CVC - When two license plates are issued by the DMV for a vehicle, they
shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the
other in the rear.
5201 CVC - License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle
for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging and shall be
mounted in a position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so
as to be clearly legible. The front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60
inches from the ground.
5201 (e) CVC - No covering shall be used on license plates, excluding license
plate security covers.
5202 CVC - Every license plate issued by this State or any jurisdiction within or
without the United States shall remain attached during the period of its validity to
the vehicle for which it is issued while being operated within this State.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
richmcc said:

I love it! Great idea. I'd buy one! BTW I hated the idea of a front plate on my Sky until I saw the photos. I don't think it will be that bad. It looks OK to me.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Chloe said:
YOU HAVE TO HAVE ONE ON YOUR CAR IN THE STATES? I NEVER KNEW THAT! THANKS FOR THE F.Y.I:cheers:
It's like here in Canada. Some provinces require a front plate and others don't. Quebec drivers aren't required to have a front plate.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Have already made it clear to not drill the car for a front plate, sales manager has also stated it on the paperwork. Its like a zit the size of a quarter on the middle of someones face, you try not to look at it ,but your eyes keep drifting to it.:nono:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
skywatcher said:
It's a fix-it ticket.
Can cost $10 as a processing fee.
Some cities are raising the penalty.
$25 in some with reduction once fixed.
Yorba Linda passed an ordenance increasing to 150
with reduction to 75 once fixed.

Enforcement is aggrssive as cities move towards automated photo devices
for red light enforcement.
In L.A. an they started pushing parking enforcement to ticket parked cars as well.
Prepared to be hassled if you go without.

The California Vehicle Code (CVC) requires that all vehicles registered in the State of
California have a front license plate.

5200 CVC - When two license plates are issued by the DMV for a vehicle, they
shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the
other in the rear.
5201 CVC - License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle
for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging and shall be
mounted in a position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so
as to be clearly legible. The front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60
inches from the ground.
5201 (e) CVC - No covering shall be used on license plates, excluding license
plate security covers.
5202 CVC - Every license plate issued by this State or any jurisdiction within or
without the United States shall remain attached during the period of its validity to
the vehicle for which it is issued while being operated within this State.
3 years ago, in napa county-- cost me around 120.00 and I wasn't even there when he gave the ticket. it was parked.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Florida doesnt require one either..... i still have 2 cars registered there...... and.. as long as i have a residence there ... that will continue..... hate front plates...SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
102 Posts
usmc said:
3 years ago, in napa county-- cost me around 120.00 and I wasn't even there when he gave the ticket. it was parked.
Yeah. It's a good revenue stream for cities.
Those traffic light camera tickets can run something like $346 and without a front plate,
they can't get you.
They want that front plate on and will push you into it one way or another.
Aside from getting popped parked, it's cause to pull you over anytime.
I wouldn't advocate drinking and driving, but if you have a beer or two with dinner with no plate, it's just that much more hassle.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts