Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry guy's and gals. i may have posting this in the wrong area. anyone know where the front plate mount's. i know it will ugly out the car (have no choice) any pics, thanks

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I believe that the mount is L shaped with the small part being screwed under the front bumper. Then the large part goes up and is where the plate is attached to.

The following pics try and show you what I talking about. I told my dealer not to install mine I am going to put mine on but reverse the L and place it inside the grill area. I know the PS is not that good but it gets the point across.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
I live in Maryland which requires a front plate. Also, since I bought the first car and it was on the showroom floor, the plate was already installed. The above is correct. However, I noticed on my car that the 4 screws that hold your plate into the plastic bracket go all the way through, and can cause 4 pin hole marks on your front bumper behind the plate. So, if you ever decide to take the front plate off, the 4 pin holes will be left in your bumper. It already happened to me. :rolleyes: I am going to leave the front plate on anyway, Maryland police are strict about front plates.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
That is correct placement...... and.... my dealership DIDNT put mine on... THANK GOODNESS..... i NEVER put one on my M3.... and.. i DONT intend to put one on my SKY..... Illinois is a front plate state... but.... i will just smile and be... well... blonde.. and hopefully only get warnings.. if anything.... i only have gotten ONE warning from a state trooper on my M3... for not having a plate..... cant beleive he didnt DEMAND... i take off the DOUBLE LIMO BLACK TINT.. OFF ALL THE WINDOWS....hehehehehe.... i think he just wanted to see the car.... i just told him.... BUT, OFFICER, THERE IS NO HOLES TO MOUNT THE FRONT PLATE.. AND i got out and showed him..... he did say.. WELL,... DRILL HOLES AND THEN THERE WILL BE...... omg.... SURELY HE MUST HAVE BEEN JOKING.... not..... but, i just told him.... I AM SORRY, I CANT DO THAT.... I WONT RUIN that expensive of a car to put a plate on it... no holes being drilled in any of my BABIES....... Will let ya know if my plan works.... hehehe... SkyBaby-07 ,,,,, i am NOT putting the front one on... NOPE.. CANT MAKE ME.....

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Well whenever my Sky gets here I'll have to put on the plate. Being in a town of 12000, it's hard to go unnoticed. Not to mention, being former member Police Services Board the cops know who I am. :willy:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
nighttripper said:
Well whenever my Sky gets here I'll have to put on the plate. Being in a town of 12000, it's hard to go unnoticed. Not to mention, being former member Police Services Board the cops know who I am. :willy:
Ugh... ok..... just smile pretty.... and.. say... OH MY... I DIDNT KNOW THERE WAS A FRONT PLATE.... ya think that will work???...... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
SkyBaby said:
Ugh... ok..... just smile pretty.... and.. say... OH MY... I DIDNT KNOW THERE WAS A FRONT PLATE.... ya think that will work???...... SkyBaby-07
Well I'm not a blond, and I'm not that pretty, plus it would be a coup for them:lol:

·
Registered
337 Posts
The Deal On The Front Plate

My dealership is going to chicken wire it to the bottom grill to get an inspection sticker...once done I'm pulling the plate....THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL IM GOING TO LET MY STATE SCREW UP THE PERFECT FRONT END OF THIS CAR WITH A SQUARE #ED PLATE!

SCREW MY STATE...if they give me a ticket WHO CARES!

NO DRILLING IN THE FRONT OF THIS CAR....NO WAY!

Next year when I need a stciker again...I'll just chicken wire it again for the dealership to pass!

All is good!

RedSky

·
Registered
308 Posts
Front Plate removed

Maine law requires a front plate for inspection. Mine had the plate holder mounted on it. The dealer stuck their advertisement plate on it and I too got two pin holes where the screws touched the paint. They gave me a bottle of touch up paint to touch them up. It's not noticeable unless you look for it. Some year I hope to cover everything with a clear bra...when somebody makes one!

Anyway, my front plate holder fell off!

Perhaps it had something to do with drilling out two rivets under the bumper.
If I get hassled, I'll remount it lower in the grill area and put a smoked cover over it. I run without a front plate on the TR6 and get away with it.(so far).:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mounting

I'm going to wait until after I get my Sky to decide where the front plate will go. I'd like to shove the thing up the state's butt (did I say that out loud?) It's a sin to drill holes into a perfect car to only distrot the perfect front end. But being from Maryland I know that sooner or later I'll get hassled by some jerk who thinks he's God and have to mount one. Until that happens there will be no front plate on my Sky! The only reason I can see to have a front plate is for those nasty cameras to catch you. Could be because instead of patrolling the roads all the police are at the donut shop. If I had the money I'd take the state to court to over turn their two plate rule. As I see it it's cruel and unusual punishment to force a person to drill holes into their beautiful and sexy sports cars. Don't mean to get down on the police though. They do a job I would never want to do but I also feel that there are real criminals out there who need their attention more than a front license plate violator. :brentil: In an unusual mood this evening....could be PSJ (Pre Sky Jitters).
Jayne

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Another option is to turn the bracket over and have the long part hang into the grill area below the bumper. That is what I am going to have my dealer do to my plate. I don't think there will be a airflow problem, but I think it will look better there than sticking out from the bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Plate

RMFNSKY said:
Another option is to turn the bracket over and have the long part hang into the grill area below the bumper. That is what I am going to have my dealer do to my plate. I don't think there will be a airflow problem, but I think it will look better there than sticking out from the bumper.
That's exactly what I had planned to do, but the plate mount isn't an L bracket. The mounting bracket that rivets to the bumper is about two thirds of the way down on the back of the plate holder, so when you flip it over, it still sticks up over the bumper. There is also an angle that is wrong, if you flip it over. We will need to fabricate an L bracket arrangement. No big deal.:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts