Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad dropped off his Sky to get the bent rod in the top replaced and have the license plate(s) installed - he requested that the fornt bracket not be attached but that the holes for mounting the bracket be drilled under the front bumper. Turns out the bracket is attached with pop rivets - and the tech decided that since the front plate was not attached very well without the bracker - he decided to drill holes directly on the fron of the bumper and pop rivet the license plate directly to the plastic.

Dad is not hapy - work order says Do not attach front plate - tech says it was his first Sky license plate so he didn't kwno what to do (asking the sales rep, or the service manager, or calling the customer must not have occured to him). So they have to send it to the body shop to see if they can repair it well enough to not be noticable - otherwise replace the entire front bumper.

Note to those without a front plate attached yet - when you take the car in for your plates - get a large piece of masking tape - stick it on the front bumper - and write "Do not install front plate" on the tape.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
:agree:

My salesperson went as far as to write on a big piece of paper "NO FRONT PLATE" and taped it to the windshield so the service guys could not miss it.

I told them ahead of time that if they drilled holes in my bumper that they would be buying a new one. That may have helped :lol:

I think you can see it in the pic... on drivers side.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
My General Manager told me the Sky Tech at his dealership said he'd quit before he'd mount a front plate on a new SKY....:cheers: :lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you dont mind I may use that same suggestion for my sales person to do as well, a front plate on the sky just doesnt look that great

P.s. Beautiful sky by the way, when do you take delivery?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
redbones said:
What do you do with the front plate if your state requires it.
From Missouri
You take your chances and drive without it....like I do. :D I carry mine with me...I wrapped it in an old soft t-shirt and tucked it into the pocket behind the passenger seat. Haven't had to take it out and show it to a cop yet. :thumbs:

·
Registered
322 Posts
I hate the damn things.......:brentil:
My advice is to carry it in the "glove box".

If stopped for a plate infraction, I will try the truth....."gee Officer, to be honest, if this were your car would you have one? :D "..may not work, but....ya gotta try. Also, I know full well that its my decision and my $$$ if caught.

Anyway, I have run the better part of over 25 years in Massachusetts (two plate state) and have NEVER had one except the time one over officious tech would not give me an inspection sticker :banghead: ....I used wire ties, attached the plate, got the sticker, left and drove about 20 feet and took it off.

True story....twice I have been stopped for expired inspection stickers (ya real stupid) and once for speeding and neither time did I have a front plate!!! You can't make it up!!!:jester: I got a ticket for the expired sticker, got away with the speeding...as for the plate.....they never mentioned it!!!:lol:

Lifes short.....the hell with the plate!:thumbs:

·
Registered
802 Posts
nscrbug said:
You take your chances and drive without it....like I do. :D I carry mine with me...I wrapped it in an old soft t-shirt and tucked it into the pocket behind the passenger seat. Haven't had to take it out and show it to a cop yet. :thumbs:
It also fits real nice under the floor mat on the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
07blacksky said:
P.s. Beautiful sky by the way, when do you take delivery?
I took delivery on May 26th. Just went over 6k miles.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
twirp said:
Just curious, whats the point of carrying it in your car. It would almost seem as an admission of guilt by stashing it in the car. I do sympathize with you as mine is just hanging on the wall with the rest of our collection.
"it fell off"
Also - to prove that you have two so one is not stolen.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been stopped for not having a front plate so I'll probably have them put it on provided they use the holes underneath and do not mar the facing of the facia. Who needs the aggravation of being stopped. Besides it gives me one more place to add extra chrome. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Hello

I am worried about the front plate also, I am seriously considering putting a custom bracket under the car with a air cylinder to pop it out and up if I get pulled over, and leave it retracted at all other times

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Hello

I am worried about the front plate also, I am seriously considering putting a custom bracket under the car with a air cylinder to pop it out and up if I get pulled over, and leave it retracted under the car and out of sight at all other times

·
Registered
9 Posts
CUINOZ said:
I hate the damn things.......:brentil:
My advice is to carry it in the "glove box".

If stopped for a plate infraction, I will try the truth....."gee Officer, to be honest, if this were your car would you have one? :D "..may not work, but....ya gotta try. Also, I know full well that its my decision and my $$$ if caught.

Anyway, I have run the better part of over 25 years in Massachusetts (two plate state) and have NEVER had one except the time one over officious tech would not give me an inspection sticker :banghead: ....I used wire ties, attached the plate, got the sticker, left and drove about 20 feet and took it off.

True story....twice I have been stopped for expired inspection stickers (ya real stupid) and once for speeding and neither time did I have a front plate!!! You can't make it up!!!:jester: I got a ticket for the expired sticker, got away with the speeding...as for the plate.....they never mentioned it!!!:lol:

Lifes short.....the hell with the plate!:thumbs:

Wow! You can fit your plate in your glove box?!?!! :lol:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Our dealership didn't put the plate on when we went to pick it up, but we asked them to put it on anyways because the local cops in our town are @$$holes about that kind of stuff...

But, they didn't drill holes in ours, it's just stuck on with some kind of adhesive... which was nice because when we got home and looked at it, it was not level - one side was lower than the other! So, the hubby just gently took it off and recentered it properly. So, no holes in our bumper!! :thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
I instructed the dealer not to mount the plate. I reitirated the point on every call and during each visit. They didn't install it.

I've been pulled over twice now (see my avatar for the a pic of the first time) and the front plate was never mentioned.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Jen, you mean the local cops are a-holes about enforcing the law?! Dang, imagine that?! How dare they! :willy:

But more importantly .... are ya'll telling me there is no front bracket for those of us who live in states requiring front plates?????

Seems on the 'Vette you can either use the front bracket or not ... but I can't imagine the only option is to drill holes in the BUMPER or use stickum. O my.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Teacher1 said:
Jen, you mean the local cops are a-holes about enforcing the law?! Dang, imagine that?! How dare they! :willy:

But more importantly .... are ya'll telling me there is no front bracket for those of us who live in states requiring front plates?????

Seems on the 'Vette you can either use the front bracket or not ... but I can't imagine the only option is to drill holes in the BUMPER or use stickum. O my.
there is a front bracket but it comes to the dealer not installed. I think it varies from state to state but in Cali you can accept responsibility of installation. they even have a waiver form at the dmv site that you can sign and hand to the dealer that states that your are accepting installation responsibility and that you know that its required.

lets the dealer off the hook. the dealer then just throws it in the trunk and off you go.

my bracket came with mounting bolts that go thru the underside of the bumper. So if you ever remove it, you won't see the holes. I think some dealers are using the stikum to avoid drilling but I would think that might fly off at some point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts