Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked...

Do any current, or very near future Sky owners live in states that require front license plates? If so, how do they mount the bracket?
Please tell me they do NOT drill the bumper on the outter surface...

:nono:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I live in IL, which requires front plates. And yes, they do drill holes in the front bumper...which is why I'm simply not going to put it on at all. I'll keep it under my seat and take my chances of getting pulled over. If Corvettes can get away with it, than so can I. :D The dealer will have you sign a waiver stating that you asked them not to install the front bracket...at least that is what mine is doing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ohio requires a front plate also but I will either not put it on or have a holder/bracked made to place it below the front bumper.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
SkyRader said:
Ohio requires a front plate also but I will either not put it on or have a holder/bracked made to place it below the front bumper.
I live in VA (where front plate is required) and i had a SC2 with no plate on the front for 10 years, only had one officer mention it - never a ticket. I say screw the front plate (but keep it handy and throw it on the dashboard as needed).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Here in California a front plate is required but, I will sign a waiver at the dealer so they will not mount it. I requested that the front plate bracket be placed in my hand. I'll take my chances on the road. As stated above, if Vettes can get away with it, our stunning car should too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I live in virginia and had a corvette with a front plate and a viper without one. I have never been ticketed for the viper or even had it mentioned. My sky already had the bracket on the front so I put my license plate "1stsky" on and I like it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
HotSky said:
I live in virginia and had a corvette with a front plate and a viper without one. I have never been ticketed for the viper or even had it mentioned. My sky already had the bracket on the front so I put my license plate "1stsky" on and I like it.
THAT IS BLATENT FALSE ADVERTISING!

j/k -- good plate

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
My dealer said they (Illinois) are required to supply a front bracket. He will deliver it to my trunk.... He told me the porters (who would install said bracket) were weeping at the thought of drilling SKY's front bumper....:D

·
Registered
170 Posts
My SKY had the front bracket already on it when I bought it....had I known that I could get away with not having one, I would have rather they not drilled in...but it was there and so now i'm a law abiding citizen. :) It doesn't look too bad on the sky though, and I got a chrome license plate frame for it to match the rest of the chrome, it helps.

·
Registered
945 Posts
SkyRader said:

Have noticed that OHIO police are quite lenient with sports cars not having a front plate
When we had our 35 car run in March only about 5 cars had front plates
mine is under the passenger seat and will stay there

·
Registered
453 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
My dealer said they (Illinois) are required to supply a front bracket. He will deliver it to my trunk.... He told me the porters (who would install said bracket) were weeping at the thought of drilling SKY's front bumper....:D
I told my dealer no plates in front!! Hey Rick, spoke to my GM and he said my car should be here by 6/20 give or take a day or so. Looks like our order numbers being so close GGG732 are pretty close on delivery too!! :cheers:

T

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
tolaiz said:
I told my dealer no plates in front!! Hey Rick, spoke to my GM and he said my car should be here by 6/20 give or take a day or so. Looks like our order numbers being so close GGG732 are pretty close on delivery too!! :cheers:

T
I am hearing the same -- in fact I have a LITTLE chance of a Father's Day gift....
Waiting for an update today....

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I like Ernest live in Texas where they require a front licence plate. My car also came with a front licence plate holder already installed when I purchase her. So I drill off the plate holder and registered her in Florida where they only require the rear plate. :willy:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Connecticut

Connecticut also requires a front plate but I am not putting it on. As a matter of fact, the night my car came in I asked the dealer for the frame, he took it out of the trunk and gave it to me, I wasn't going to take any chances.
I will try my luck for now I see how I make out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My sky came with the front bracket because I bought it in a two plate state. I have taken the bracket off because I dont need it in Florida. It's easy to do and NO holes show because they are on the under side and the front is held on by velcro which will peel off. I defy any body to know the difference. Anybody need a front bracket?
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Magnets

What about having a magnet either attached from the inside of the front fascia with adhesive - or bolted into the normal holes made for the front license plate holder - and then a metal bar that the license plate attaches to that would stick to the magnet (perhaps with or without the frame) - that way you could attach or remove the license plate at a moment's notice. If you take your car to a wash and forget to take it off this could be a problem. I did have one of those magnet key holders up under the bumper of a car for a while and it was able to stay there though car washes and normal driving through rain and such - but the front plate would be a bit different with its larger surface area and only having the magnet along one edge - but I suppose a magnet could be strong enough to hold the pate on during normal driving and such though I suspect that if a high pressure water jet or brushes or bristles got behind it that could easily yank it off - then again the whole idea of using the magnets would to leave it off as much as possible. Or maybe a magnet the length of a license plate and a couple inches wide would stand up to a lot of applied force. Should we suggest such a device to the Kappasphere folks?

Or maybe some kind of quick disconnect latch sort of like you see on the hood of a race car.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Its Been Done

Scott88 said:

Do any current, or very near future Sky owners live in states that require front license plates? If so, how do they mount the bracket?

Hey Scott.....I feel sorry for those Sky owners on this post that allowed thier dealership to drill into the front of their Skys :nono: ...I am currently living in a State that does require me to have a front plate but I wont be putting it on...I will leave it in either the front window sil or glove box.

My dealership does however give us another option if you are afraid of not having your front plate on...

There is a front plate design that does not drill into the front bumper of your Sky instead it hooks up under your lower grill...this is where two holes are drilled UPWARD into your front WHICH CAN NOT BEEN SEEN.:D This is perfectly fine with me and would allow me to have a front plate without drilling any holes into the front bumper.

If none of you heard of this....or your dealership doesn't know of this technique you can have your Dealership Call the Saturn Dealership of Lowell, MA. They will be able to tell the tech people at your dealership about this and how it's done.

Hope that helps Scott! :thumbs:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Scott88 said:

As stated above, if any dealer drills holes in the front of the bumper instead of drilling up from the bottom, they should have their head examined. The plate holder that I have (in the trunk, btw) looks like it was designed to be drilled up, not from the front of the car.

Maybe there are two style plate holders, but mine clearly was designed for the SKY as it has a mounting keyway to hold it in place. You can feel the key sticking out from the bottom of where the plate holder should go. It is sort of a rectangle shape, but the sides are not parrallel. I don't know, I flunked out of geometry.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts