Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rant: on

Is it just me or are we are seeing more and more :banghead: over the apparent total lack of sanity when it comes to the ordering and allocation process? On one hand, there are some people who walk into dealers and, lo and behold, there is 3 or 4 Sky's to pick from. Yet on the other hand (I'm one of these), the dealer has a list of 20 or more people pulling their hair out because they won't even see an order being placed for about a year.

Supposedly, allocations are made based on prior sales volume. Yet from my perspective, allocations are made by each dealer having a bucket on the floor and monkeys throw pebbles into the air. However many pebbles land in your bucket, that's your allocation. (Ok, that's not likely to be true, but the results are probably not far off).

In my Vulcan-logical world, I go into my dealer and give him a $1000 deposit, he sends my order to Saturn/GM and I'm assigned order #12345. So when they build car #12345 (give or take, I realize, depending on model, options, etc.) it's for me. Guess what? IF MY DEALER IS A "HIGH VOLUME" DEALER, THERE WILL BE A HIGH VOLUME OF ORDERS FROM MY DEALER! Everybody's happy.

Now, in the real world, it starts out the same: I go into my dealer and give him a $1000 deposit (that's where the universes diverge). He tells me there are people ahead of me (ok, fine) and they don't have any idea if they will be able to sell me a car this year or even next! That's because they have no control over whether Saturn/GM puts 1 car in "City A" and 10 cars in "City B", even though "City A" has 10 times the population of "City B"! Oh, and because they can't order you a car when you have cash in hand, you'll have to pay a higher price. Would anyone settle for that when buying a toaster at WalMart? Not too FN likely. You would at least get a raincheck (Otherwise known as, you guessed it, "price protection"!). Not to mention that WalMart knows to put more toasters in "City A"! Okay, okay, cars and toasters are different animals but the Rules of Manufacturing shoud still apply.)

Any wonder why Toyota has a much better record when it comes to customer satisfaction than any of the American manufacturers? (Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-Toyota; all my vehicles have been GMs/Fords/Dodges).

The sad truth is that one of the main appeals of owning a Sky is to have one of only a literal handfull in town. The downside of that is, by the very nature of the word "exclusive", it is extremely difficult to obtain.

:rant: off

Anyway, I'll go sit down and wait some more until the frustration builds up again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Be thankful your 5th on the list....... I'm 35th at Saturn of Troy and my order is for a RedLine....

HoldHard

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be thankful your 5th on the list....... I'm 35th at Saturn of Troy and my order is for a RedLine....

HoldHard
You’re providing further evidence to support my frustration. Detroit has a population of 5 million making it twice as big as Vancouver. Ergo it should have twice as many orders and twice as many deliveries. I doubt that's the case.

My #5 is the equivalent of #10 on your list so, yes, I can take solace in that. It still doesn't excuse the way they handle orders. I'll take you username as advice and for your sake I hope you move up the line quickly. :grouphug:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts