Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FS: Opel Windshields (Fits Sky/Solstice)

I have two of the Opel windshields that were put together as a group buy years ago. These are brand new, and have been sitting in my basement since I got them six or seven years ago. $200 each, located in South-Central Pennsylvania. Feel free to email me at jmcalister AT gmail DOT com for a quick response.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Josh, don't believe I need a windshield. But if I did, I would be asking you to publish any part number information, year of fit, anything at all from the items posted shipping/purchase information that would allow me to determine if your windshield would fit my SKY only, or also fit a Solstice. Some folks may already know as you stated Opel, but your market might increase exponentially if you reached out to more potential owners with more details. Shipping?
:cheers:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Josh, don't believe I need a windshield. But if I did, I would be asking you to publish any part number information, year of fit, anything at all from the items posted shipping/purchase information that would allow me to determine if your windshield would fit my SKY only, or also fit a Solstice. Some folks may already know as you stated Opel, but your market might increase exponentially if you reached out to more potential owners with more details. Shipping?
:cheers:
Part # 15880777

It fits all models of Kappa (Opel/Solstice/Sky) and I am not able to ship.

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
I remember u coming over to my house to pick them up in Jersey....they will definitely fit any SKY or Solstice....I had purchased a bulk shipment for the forum members from Source One....they r really impossible to ship...it must be a pick up only...too bad I do not live in Jersey or Pa...I used mine already. A spare would certainly make me happy...happier.

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
I really don't think there is any difference in them to be honest. I have one, but just peaked in the box. Been setting the garage for a couple of years. Don't drive any of mine enough to need to replace one at this time.

I was originally told they were a stronger thicker glass due to the speeds on the autobahn, but have never verified that.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Only one it is not right for is the Solstice coupe, although it will physically fit.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
The Solstice coupe carries a module behind the rear view mirror and the glass has frit patterning there that is absent on the convertible windshields. Different part number for coupes with OnStar.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The Solstice coupe carries a module behind the rear view mirror and the glass has frit patterning there that is absent on the convertible windshields. Different part number for coupes with OnStar.
Ahhhh, NOW I understand.

But you could still use the windscreen. Just ignore the lack of blackout in that area (or cut the shape out of black vinyl and stick it up :)).

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Ahhhh, NOW I understand.

But you could still use the windscreen. Just ignore the lack of blackout in that area (or cut the shape out of black vinyl and stick it up :)).
Hence my post "Only one it is not right for is the Solstice coupe, although it will physically fit."

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My "Sky" windshield has spent about half of it's life on the German Autobahn without incident...I'm not sure what the "Opel" windshield functionally could do for you other than give you a fresh piece of glass (with an EU-compliance stamp, maybe?)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was looking at fitting an Opel Windshield to my Saturn Sky here in the UK, as shipping one from Germany would be cheaper than getting one from the USA.

At the time I remember somebody saying that the glass was slightly thicker for the Opel to satisfy European crash safety regulations. No idea if that's true, but the windshield glass in modern cars does form part of the vehicle structure and our yearly vehicle inspections in the UK fail cars with chipped or cracked screens for that reason.

Fortunately the chip in my windshield was fixable, so I never found out...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If this were an S-Class I could see why someone might want the thicker glass, but in the Sky the thickness of the windshield hardly seems like the biggest cause of cabin noise or the biggest risk to passenger safety... :cheers:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,567 Posts
Are they still in the boxes they came in?

Think one would fit in an Astra, or would I need a larger cargo area?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,567 Posts
Dave...they never came in boxes...and they will fit in an Astra...it must be freezing where u are.
Ah, OK, I thought I saw something in the thread about a box... must have misread... now that I am thinking about the original group buy, I remember the crate they came in.

and it is a bit warm right now. Low 40s yesterday, and 40 today. Much better than the sub-zeros we have been having. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah, OK, I thought I saw something in the thread about a box... must have misread... now that I am thinking about the original group buy, I remember the crate they came in.

and it is a bit warm right now. Low 40s yesterday, and 40 today. Much better than the sub-zeros we have been having. :)
It should fit no problem. If you are interested in one, feel free to shoot me an email and we can figure out the logistics.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts