Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys: This has been annoying me for some time and I've finally decided to deal with it. The fuel filler housing, that is, the plastic bit that attaches to the fuel filler hose and sits between the fuel door and the body of the car, is loose. This means it wiggles around and prevents the fuel door from closing completely.

I took the three screws out of it earlier today, but it appears that it just attaches to the fuel filler neck--which is also loose. Looking at the plastic filler housing, it looks like it may have had some kind of plastic snaps to it at some point that may have broken off, but it's not really clear.

I have a Solstice service manual that doesn't really indicate that it snaps or not, but it seems like it must attach somehow. Either that or my fuel filler hose that goes to the tank is misaligned somehow and is causing the filler neck to stick out a little too far.

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated, I'm getting kind of tired of looking at the fuel door being not closed completely...

·
7,080 Posts
Guys: This has been annoying me for some time and I've finally decided to deal with it. The fuel filler housing, that is, the plastic bit that attaches to the fuel filler hose and sits between the fuel door and the body of the car, is loose. This means it wiggles around and prevents the fuel door from closing completely.

I took the three screws out of it earlier today, but it appears that it just attaches to the fuel filler neck--which is also loose. Looking at the plastic filler housing, it looks like it may have had some kind of plastic snaps to it at some point that may have broken off, but it's not really clear.

I have a Solstice service manual that doesn't really indicate that it snaps or not, but it seems like it must attach somehow. Either that or my fuel filler hose that goes to the tank is misaligned somehow and is causing the filler neck to stick out a little too far.

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated, I'm getting kind of tired of looking at the fuel door being not closed completely...
The problem might be a loose fuel tank fill pipe hose clamp by the fuel tank. Good Luck! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Same here. Door closes.
Here is my fix. I placed clear silicone
around the lip. Then with my finger I
push it under the lip. Wipe off excess .
Not moved in 5years.
Best to you.
LLLFLY

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Miller ,glad your still here and thanks
for all your help.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lllfly: Did you do this with the fuel filler neck attached to the housing, or did you unscrew it first. If I hold the fuel filler neck in place everything lines up, but it does seem to push against the housing with quite a bit of force...certainly more force than some silicone would provide. Unless I don't understand what silicone product you are referring to?

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
It is only to hold it in place.
You must push it under. Let set over night.
GE clear silicone .
I did NOT unscrew it.
LLLFLY

·
Premium Member
7,467 Posts
I'm not sure about what ya'll are talking about, I cannot picture this problem in my mind, how about a pic of this issue?:willy:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I'm not sure about what ya'll are talking about, I cannot picture this problem in my mind, how about a pic of this issue?:willy:
Open your fuel door, grab plastic shroud and move it around. This is what is bothering the OP. Most owners don't even notice it.

For those that do, Larry's fix is very appropriate. Pure 100% clear GE silicone will hold it in place, however it will still be removable if for some reason you needed to replace the filler neck/shroud. Best of all worlds.

OP also note that (im fairly sure) there is supposed to be a little rubber bumper behind the fuel door so it doesnt smash shut when you close it. I know my car never had one, so I had to carefully shut the fuel door.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
The bumper to reinstall use a tooth pic.
Use the pic to push in the stopper,
To make this tool clip off the point off the pic.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The piece you are dealing with "clips" into the fender. I swapped mine out a few years back. The screws hold it down, and there are detents on it that hold it in place.
Did you swap it out because the old piece had failed to stay clipped in place, or for some other reason? I can't figure out if my original is damaged and if buying a new housing will help this, or if it's just a defective design.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Well OP you can look at it this way.

A new filler neck from your dealer, (which you will have to wait for and pay through the nose on) may or may not fix your issue.

Clear silicone is about $3 a tube here in the US.. I would imagine its less than 5 euro there... fix your filler neck then go insulate some windows in your home.

·
Premium Member
7,467 Posts
Open your fuel door, grab plastic shroud and move it around. This is what is bothering the OP. Most owners don't even notice it.

For those that do, Larry's fix is very appropriate. Pure 100% clear GE silicone will hold it in place, however it will still be removable if for some reason you needed to replace the filler neck/shroud. Best of all worlds.

OP also note that (im fairly sure) there is supposed to be a little rubber bumper behind the fuel door so it doesnt smash shut when you close it. I know my car never had one, so I had to carefully shut the fuel door.
Interesting, in my NA everything is rock solid, nothing moves. I did however take it in during warranty because the rubber tit was missing and it was loose. The only way to add it back on was the replace that whole assembly.. That rubber tit got lost again on this newer one, but as far as anything being "loose" under my gas cap is just not happening on my sky..:D Letme see how far back I gotta go for that service ticket... hopefully I still have it..

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Also I used the silicone on the bumper Install.
Use the T pic to place it under.
Tip: you can buy the bumper at a
good hardware store. Or a small
Piece of felt.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
miller11386: The issue is that it is more than loose, the entire assembly protrudes out from the car a few millimeters. If I push it in, it will stay, but as soon as I let go it pops right back out. So, the gas door doesn't close flush with the car and it looks quite wrong. I'll try and get a video of it for you tomorrow so you can better understand what I'm on about, but it almost looks like the fuel filler neck is incorrectly installed.

·
Premium Member
7,467 Posts
miller11386: The issue is that it is more than loose, the entire assembly protrudes out from the car a few millimeters. If I push it in, it will stay, but as soon as I let go it pops right back out. So, the gas door doesn't close flush with the car and it looks quite wrong. I'll try and get a video of it for you tomorrow so you can better understand what I'm on about, but it almost looks like the fuel filler neck is incorrectly installed.
May very well be, or something is broken, or fell out of its original install position.. What I can say that it is definitely not correct and IS repairable at a dealer.. Since mine is rock solid after replacement..:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, I decided to get to the bottom of this today. In case anyone else ever finds themselves with the burning desire to adjust this, here is the story:

I put the car up on the lift, and took out the plastic fuel filter housing by removing 3 screws. Then, I took out the wheel housing to see if I could get better access to the fuel filler neck. Turns out, you really can't even though the service manual instructions direct you to remove the wheel housing. After doing this job, I wouldn't recommend taking out the wheel housing, since you will certainly break all of the push-clips that hold it in place, and that is very annoying.

Since I was unable to get at the filler neck from the wheel housing, I removed the trunk liner to access the fuel pump cover and see if I could reach it there. The trunk liner comes out pretty easily: remove the two drain tubes by squeezing the tube and pulling them up, then remove the bolts that attach the rear most straps of the top to the sides of the car. Then, work the liner out. In doing this, I did discover something amazing: there is a trunk light! It had been disconnected and I hadn't noticed it until I did this job--I plugged it back in and now I have a little illumination in the trunk in the dark, quite nice.

With the liner removed, you can pull back the foam cover over the fuel pump access panel. Take out the 5 screws to remove the cover and get access to the fuel pump area. You'll see that there is a bit of rubber hose that connects the metal fuel filler neck to the fuel tank. You might think, let me just loosen the clamp closer to the filler and slide this up--save yourself the trouble, it's nigh impossible to adjust that clamp unless you remove the whole filler tube. So, disconnect the evap line (just squeeze the yellow part of the fitting and pull it out); and take off the clamp closer to the fuel pump. Pull the hose away, and then work the fuel filler tube out of the car from the fill door. Be careful not to drop the clamp, getting it out could be very difficult.

Now, with the filler neck out of the car, loosen the clamp closer to the fuel filler housing, and slide the rubber hose father onto the filler tube. I pushed it on about another 8-10mm. Tighten the clamp back down. Installation is the reverse of removal--remember to reconnect the evap line. And, of course, check to make sure that the filler housing fits correctly before putting it all back together.

Now, the filler door closes completely, and everything looks as it should. I don't know why this wasn't lined up correctly on my car, and I can't see why it would have been adjusted, either. Nothing in doing this job indicated that it had been disassembled in the past, so I'm going to guess that somehow the fitting worked itself loose over time, or it was just a case of poor quality control from the factory and the previous owner never bothered to fix it.

Phew. Time for a beer!

·
7,080 Posts
mstrjon32 - All you had to do is read post #2 in this thread and your answer was there waiting for you. :)
And,
Not minding Miller11386 suggestions as to who's input has the correct solution. :D

Glad you got it corrected :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.