Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post about someone that had this problem well over a year ago and I paid very little attention to it because I did not have that problem. However, it is now my problem. Every now and then when I'm filling up the Sky the gas nozzle will click off. I will wait a little bit and it goes in fine. Today when I tried to fill up the car I got about $3 worth in and it shut off. I waited, started fueling again. It shut off about every 3 to 5 seconds for the whole fill up. I could see the gasoline building up in the neck of the fuel tank. I spoke to my mechanic he said there is some kind of canister with a vent or just a vent that probably was not operating properly. He seems to think he can fix it and I am taking it to him Saturday. Is there anyone with any usable knowledge about this problem that I can take to him on Saturday and speak more intelligently about this problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I believe it has been said there is some device in the gas tank mechanisms that can cause that to happen. I don't recall what that part is or what it is called. Your mechanic probably has a good idea. IIRC, the tank may have to be removed and a new part installed. I do know that several forum members caution about topping off the tank when filling. I have taken that advice and might round off the dollar amount, but do not fill beyond a small amount of gas added after it clicks off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This can be caused by the Vapor canistor vent solenoid becoming dirty, and is a common problem with GM vehicles. It is located under the hump in trunk.
Sometimes if you just change the gas station it will fix the problem, as some pumps are more sensitive and angled differently. Try this if you haven't.
When the canister vent solenoid goes bad it can throw a code also but not always if it is becoming clogged. It simply won't let atmospheric equalization pressure out of the tank fast enough when filling. Part costs about $50.

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
This happens with my car at some filling stations. What you can to is hold the handle of the pump up when you start filling then S L O W L Y lower it to the normal position. At that point the pump should continue as normal.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
This happens with my car at some filling stations. What you can to is hold the handle of the pump up when you start filling then S L O W L Y lower it to the normal position. At that point the pump should continue as normal.
Ditto, mine does the same thing at certain stations and what Robo suggests works :thumbs:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ditto, mine does the same thing at certain stations and what Robo suggests works
I pulled it out, waited, pumped slowly and no matter how slowly I pumped within a few seconds I could see fuel coming up into the outer, larger part of the filler.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I pulled it out, waited, pumped slowly and no matter how slowly I pumped within a few seconds I could see fuel coming up into the outer, larger part of the filler.
Wait, are you saying that when you pump the gas, no matter how slow, the fuel is coming back up the filler tube and shutting the pump off? My initial solution until Robo mentioned his, was to place the nozzle into the filler hole, hold the back of the pump handle up so the end of the dispensing nozzle was pointing straight down into the filler tube and pump, never had a problem. At some stations i stood right next to the car and kept the pump at that angle with my hip. I generally buy fuel at Costco because it's cheaper and their pumps are high flow rate pumps, and at Costco, Robo's method works every time. If you look at the diagram (#11), there's really nothing in the design that would cause the fuel to back-up, it's kinked a little, but not enough to cause your problem.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
There have been reports that the problem is the Evap Canister being clogged due to fuel saturation.

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/not-able-put-gas-without-pump-stopping-constantly-88474/#post1211418
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/charcoal-canister-136042/
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/changing-evaporative-canister-83817/

If you are now having problems with pumps that used to work, you may have the same problem but, there is usually an accompanying DTC that you don't have.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait, are you saying that when you pump the gas, no matter how slow, the fuel is coming back up the filler tube and shutting the pump off? My initial solution until Robo mentioned his, was to place the nozzle into the filler hole, hold the back of the pump handle up so the end of the dispensing nozzle was pointing straight down into the filler tube and pump, never had a problem. At some stations i stood right next to the car and kept the pump at that angle with my hip. I generally buy fuel at Costco because it's cheaper and their pumps are high flow rate pumps, and at Costco, Robo's method works every time. If you look at the diagram (#11), there's really nothing in the design that would cause the fuel to back-up, it's kinked a little, but not enough to cause your problem.
Yes. I was watching the fuel back up and come into the large first part of the filler tube. No matter how slow I did it, it backed up. I got three quarters full and said screw it and posted this thread. That was yesterday so I just got done filling the car the other quarter tank to full and the fuel went in full speed, like normal with no problem. Different station but same company, Speedway. Yesterday it backed up. Today it did not. I dont know whats up. I will Ron made a few more days, get gas again, and see what happens. Can something like this crop up and then go away?

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Yes. I was watching the fuel back up and come into the large first part of the filler tube. No matter how slow I did it, it backed up. I got three quarters full and said screw it and posted this thread. That was yesterday so I just got done filling the car the other quarter tank to full and the fuel went in full speed, like normal with no problem. Different station but same company, Speedway. Yesterday it backed up. Today it did not. I dont know whats up. I will Ron made a few more days, get gas again, and see what happens. Can something like this crop up and then go away?
So as JohnWR notes, a fuel saturated canister could cause it. so it's reasonable to assume once the canister dries out the problem goes away? I dunno, I've never experienced your problem.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So as JohnWR notes, a fuel saturated canister could cause it. so it's reasonable to assume once the canister dries out the problem goes away? I dunno, I've never experienced your problem.
I will ride this horse a few more laps around the track. If it happens again I will take it to my mechanic and have him take a look at it. He said he can deal with it and I will let the forum know exactly where the hobo hid the money if I ever find out. Thank you guys very much.

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
As I understand it, once the canister is clogged it is done, and drying out doesn't help. That may or may not be correct as I have not experienced it.

Moose: If you weren't seeing the fuel backing up and then not backing up I would advise that you should use the same pump every time if you are trying to find out what is causing the problem. A different pump, even at the same station, can be set for more or less back pressure.

Since you can actually see a difference in how the fuel is going into the tank I am more inclined to think it is the car. Maybe the vent solenoid valve is intermittently getting stuck closed, since I don't know what else could cause this. (You are turning the car off to fuel it, I am sure.)

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I used to have this problem periodically, but haven't had it in a few years now. I didn't do anything to fix it; it just went away (cheap fix). :dunno:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes. I was watching the fuel back up and come into the large first part of the filler tube.
That's a new one to me. Damn. Yea almost seems like something is kinked to cause that.
The only thing that would kink would be the tube to the tank. How could that happen? I pulled the nozel out of the little hole and kept pumping slow and watched the gas back up till it would have ran out of the tube and onto the cement. That was yesterday. Today I put $10.00 in, full speed and no problem. Sorta scratching my head.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
The only thing that would kink would be the tube to the tank. How could that happen? I pulled the nozel out of the little hole and kept pumping slow and watched the gas back up till it would have ran out of the tube and onto the cement. That was yesterday. Today I put $10.00 in, full speed and no problem. Sorta scratching my head.
I am going with an air pocket...we will never know...glad it repaired itself

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am going with an air pocket...we will never know...glad it repaired itself
I think it was the Purple People Eaters, myself.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As I understand it, once the canister is clogged it is done, and drying out doesn't help. That may or may not be correct as I have not experienced it.

Moose: If you weren't seeing the fuel backing up and then not backing up I would advise that you should use the same pump every time if you are trying to find out what is causing the problem. A different pump, even at the same station, can be set for more or less back pressure.

Since you can actually see a difference in how the fuel is going into the tank I am more inclined to think it is the car. Maybe the vent solenoid valve is intermittently getting stuck closed, since I don't know what else could cause this. (You are turning the car off to fuel it, I am sure.)
Yes. Car is off when fueling. It is or was the car. I pulled the nozel out and watched the gas back up till it almost spilled out then it went back down. I would put more in, real slow and within 5 seconds it was ready to overflow again. I repeated that process several times. Then today put ten bucks in like normal, full speed and was fine. I will keep folks posted if it happens again. That is maddening to try and fill your car up and it takes two forevers to get it done. Gremlins?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine does the same thing, except I can only get 25 cents in then it starts. Did exactly what everyone suggested about the nossel and different stations. Ricky D from Alabama has a nice post and I took his advice on how to change it and get into that area without dropping the tank, tank has to be dropped to get to the canister and valve. It's an easy job and the part is listed on his post.

I used the metal tape that A/C people use to tape duct work together, pretty sticky stuff, and worked great to replace the piece you have to remove. I also used a hacksaw blade to cut out the area. For me, it wasn't the valve. Weather is keeping me from looking into it more since I don't have a garage so,for now I just deal with it. Good luck and post what you find out.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts