Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
The canister sits on top of the fuel tank. It is inaccessible following normal maintenance procedures. The hatch on top of the tank gives access to the fuel pump and I think the solenoid valve but I cant remember. I would have to check our pictures. We have swapped out the canister and the valve by opening up the top of the tank. There is a thread on the Sol forum with pictures.

It sounds like the solenoid vent valve is sticking or has an intermittent connection. In the normal "off" state the valve is open allowing air to vent from the tank via the charcoal canister to atmosphere. This allows you to fill the tank and captures the vented air/fuel mixture in the charcoal. When the car is started, the vent solenoid closes and the tank is pressurized. The charcoal canister continues to vent to atmosphere to maintain internal pressure.

If the solenoid is not opening when the power is removed then the tank will not vent properly.

If you over fill the tank, the excess fuel can make its way into the charcoal filter and impede air flow. It also can cause a heavy gasoline smell when driving the car with the top down.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok it did it again. Nozzel shuts off after 20 cents of gas goes in. I can see it backing up in the neck. Then it slowly drains in and I repeat the process. My mechanic is not equipped to do this kind of work and suggested I call a dealer. I called the General motors dealer and they will have to remove many heavy parts and drop the gas tank and replace either the canister or the rollover ball valve in the tank. He was knowledgeable about the problem although it is rather rare he said. I am looking at, according to him sight unseen, about $1,000 to get the problem fixed. There is no way to fix this except to drop the tank which is about 6 to 8 hours for this operation. I said earlier in this post that I would keep you updated on whatever it is that I learned because very few people have heard of this problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated but this coming Tuesday the 19th it goes to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
11,090 Posts
Okay, there is a way to get to the canister without dropping the tank but I'm not familiar with this Ball Rollover Valve...

The Canister is on top of the tank next to the pump assembly. You can't reach it through the hatch for the pump assembly though. So what people do, is the remove the hatch for the pump assembly then cut the floor of the trunk to extend that opening out over the canister. Then then take the piece of the floor they cut out, bolt it to the pump assembly hatch in the two or three places the hatch originally screwed to that part of the floor, and then make some tabs they can bolt to that removed floor assembly that will hand over the remaining floor assembly in the car and screw down into that. Obviously when the trunk carpet goes back in you can't see any of the modification. Really this is what GM should have done to begin with but they didn't. I know there is a writeup on here somewhere and naturally the dealership won't do this but there is a way to save you some considerable fundage.

Now if someone has a parts diagram of the gas tank and we can figure out this rollover ball valve thing we might be able to help find an alternative to this.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Worth a try?

Sometimes when a gremlin gets into the SKY :willy: disconnect the battery and go for a full computer reset.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Okay, there is a way to get to the canister without dropping the tank but I'm not familiar with this Ball Rollover Valve...

Now if someone has a parts diagram of the gas tank and we can figure out this rollover ball valve thing we might be able to help find an alternative to this.
I just can't get over the fact that you do not have a service manual. But I guess as long as the rest of us do ......

The rollover valve is at the top of the tank, part of the evap hose quick-disconnect fitting, and is a ball-float check valve that prevents fuel from flowing out of the evap hose if the car rolls over. Hence the name.

Given the description of the problem I think the cause is more likely to be the evap vent valve occasionally sticking closed.
Also listed as a cause of poor fuel fill quality is a fuel fill limiter vent valve that can stick closed.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sometimes when a gremlin gets into the SKY /forums/images/smilies/willy_nilly.gif disconnect the battery and go for a full computer reset.

Good luck. /forums/images/smilies/cheers.gif
I asked the service guy at the dealership if this was ANYTHING to do with electrical. He said sadly no.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

I just can't get over the fact that you do not have a service manual. But I guess as long as the rest of us do ......

The rollover valve is at the top of the tank, part of the evap hose quick-disconnect fitting, and is a ball-float check valve that prevents fuel from flowing out of the evap hose if the car rolls over. Hence the name.

Given the description of the problem I think the cause is more likely to be the evap vent valve occasionally sticking closed.
Also listed as a cause of poor fuel fill quality is a fuel fill limiter vent valve that can stick closed.
I dont have a service manual because I am not a car fix it guy except the basic stuff however since being partially disabled I farm out 95% of the work that you Sky guys do yourself. The fellow at the dealership said he was familiar with this problem and I will have it diagnosed for sure in one week.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Only go to Tier One gas stations

I asked the service guy at the dealership.....
Back in the day the service guys at real SATURN dealerships didn't know much about the SKY.
No reason to expect better quality from GM techs these days, that's for sure.

Here are couple of old threads, almost 100 posts on the subject:

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/gass-pump-shutting-off-fill-up-35101/index2.html

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/how-charge-gas-39880/index4.html

PS: Moose... pretty sure that comment about the service manual was meant for Robo

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
I asked the service guy at the dealership if this was ANYTHING to do with electrical. He said sadly no.
It could be marginally electrical, although not in a way that a computer reset would fix. The vent valve is electrically operated to close when the car is running, and it could stick closed. I really think this is more likely than the rollover valve, since it operates every time the power is cycled while the rollover valve should only close when the car gets upside down.
I dont have a service manual because I am not a car fix it guy except the basic stuff however since being partially disabled I farm out 95% of the work that you Sky guys do yourself. The fellow at the dealership said he was familiar with this problem and I will have it diagnosed for sure in one week.
.......PS: Moose... pretty sure that comment about the service manual was meant for Robo
Yes, that was directed at Robo. Apologies for not being clear.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It could be marginally electrical, although not in a way that a computer reset would fix. The vent valve is electrically operated to close when the car is running, and it could stick closed. I really think this is more likely than the rollover valve, since it operates every time the power is cycled while the rollover valve should only close when the car gets upside down.
.......PS: Moose... pretty sure that comment about the service manual was meant for Robo
Yes, that was directed at Robo. Apologies for not being clear.
No worries mate. No harm no foul.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I will tell this info to the service rep next tuesday and maybe he can circumvent the dropping the fuel tank deal. however I am not very hopeful about that because they pretty much go by the book and they hold all the cards in my position. So we will keep you posted as to what happens. Thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,090 Posts

I'll admit I've never heard of the roll over valve. Makes sense though.

PS: Moose... pretty sure that comment about the service manual was meant for Robo
Yea Yea Yea...I keep meaning to get one...LOL Everytime I find one for sale it's a bad time and when it's a good time I totally forget to look for one. LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
....... Yea Yea Yea...I keep meaning to get one...LOL Everytime I find one for sale it's a bad time and when it's a good time I totally forget to look for one. LOL
I know that this isn't much of a problem where you are, but I hope that you never get a leak in your roof.
You won't be able to work on it in the rain, and when it isn't raining it won't need to be fixed.

·
Super Moderator
11,090 Posts
I know that this isn't much of a problem where you are, but I hope that you never get a leak in your roof.
You won't be able to work on it in the rain, and when it isn't raining it won't need to be fixed.
LOL Nawwwww...I have a lot of big blue tarps and heavy stuff. I'm good...and then I take it off in summer and have a sunroof. LOL ;)

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I think johnwr was referring to Robo as he is a fix it car guy and not to you Moosebreath:cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
This seems to be a sorta common problem. I've had it a few months and got around to replacing the canister valve, with no luck. Better weather has come and don't have a garage,here's what I tried and couldn't believe it worked. The lines coming out of the canister are what you are after. The fattest line had charcoal stuck in it, causing a clog. I used a shop vac and sucked it out, then blew it out to make sure with the vac. The fat line I think goes from the fuel pump to the canister, the fuel pump side is hard to get off, I just loosen it to get a better flow. This can all be done through the opening for the fuel pump. Just don't know how the charcoal made it out of the canister to the line.
It's an easy fix and might help some of us with the problem, cause I tried everything that has been posted here with no luck.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts