Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been many discussions on this topic with much specilation. I'm here to put some of this to rest.

The pictures attached are of my car. I recently replaced the stock fuax vents with functional cf vents meant for a 2013 Mustang. These vents open up a ton and are far larger than the stock vents.

Yesterday the car was exposed to one of the hardest downpours we have seen in years. Then, I drove it home in the rain. This morning I washed it at a do it yourself car wash using a high pressure rinse. Moments after rinsing it off, I pulled it forward 40 feet to the drying station, popped the hood, and took these pictures. The engine was not cleaned after it came out of paint and was covered with a fine dust. Thus, anyplace where water fell would be easy to spot.

As you can see, there was a bit of water but for the most part, the engine was just as dry as it had been before.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,477 Posts
LOL MM...I know I know, it's dirty! It's getting cleaned here soon...
I have my first car show this Sunday. It is in a Porshe dealership. Just imagine if I picked up my hood and they viewed my engine looking like yours....they would STONE me...ya thinK?

No trophies...the dealership provides coffee and doughnuts...

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Mike. Keep the hood closed and the top down. You'll have plenty of gawkers.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Where are the pictures of the top side?

There have been many discussions on this topic with much specilation. I'm here to put some of this to rest.

The pictures attached are of my car. I recently replaced the stock fuax vents with functional cf vents meant for a 2013 Mustang. These vents open up a ton and are far larger than the stock vents.

Yesterday the car was exposed to one of the hardest downpours we have seen in years. Then, I drove it home in the rain. This morning I washed it at a do it yourself car wash using a high pressure rinse. Moments after rinsing it off, I pulled it forward 40 feet to the drying station, popped the hood, and took these pictures. The engine was not cleaned after it came out of paint and was covered with a fine dust. Thus, anyplace where water fell would be easy to spot.

As you can see, there was a bit of water but for the most part, the engine was just as dry as it had been before.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I think that equally important is whether opening them up serves any useful purpose. I've read some claims that it could disturb the airflow to the point it no longer flows as designed and that it may actually make it less efficient.

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that equally important is whether opening them up serves any useful purpose. I've read some claims that it could disturb the airflow to the point it no longer flows as designed and that it may actually make it less efficient.
Today I can say that is unequivocally false. Drove up Palomar mountain today with 15 kappas both na and turbo. Both types of cars were reporting water temps of around 230. Every car was running well over 225...this was driving uphill...95 degree air temps...no one running their AC...

My coolant temps never got over 219 with the ac off...235 ac on. No one else dared to run the ac.

Whether this was because of the hood vents, side vents or both...I was running 12 to 14 degrees cooler than anyone else...on a turboed 2.4...

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
No pictures it didn't happen. >:)

I have thought about opening up the vent above my turbo and putting a temp gauge on top of my turbo to get a before and after temp to see if it helps.

I bet if you put a dual core radiator out of a turbo setup you might stay cooler yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No pictures it didn't happen. >:)

I have thought about opening up the vent above my turbo and putting a temp gauge on top of my turbo to get a before and after temp to see if it helps.

I bet if you put a dual core radiator out of a turbo setup you might stay cooler yet.
I have thought about it. $700 or so is pretty steep but I probably will opt for one here sometime soon. Would be nice to keep those temps down.

As I always said...these cars were designed well..but made like $hit.
Yea, but this is a design thing. The stock vents were not designed to draw heat out of the engine bay since they're not vents at all.

·
Registered
17,477 Posts
I have thought about it. $700 or so is pretty steep but I probably will opt for one here sometime soon. Would be nice to keep those temps down.

Yea, but this is a design thing. The stock vents were not designed to draw heat out of the engine bay since they're not vents at all.
I was referring to most of us cannot put the air conditioning on our cars because we see the water temp just go above what normal coolant should be...just afraid to overheat our engines...definitely a design flaw in the cooling system. Even the actuator that controls the temperature inside the cabin is flawed...all u have to do is go one click from high air to make it cooler and it goes to heat. I had this problem from day one. I finally bought a new actuator...took out my drivers seat so I could slip myself under the dash...could not remove the 3rd screw screw that held the actuator in place...inaccessible....my aching back....one day I will give it a second try...I am getting too old for this. LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OHHHH...Well yea there's that. LOL

Yea once the heat here gets to over 100 our coolant temps rise a ton. Good news is I changed out my Tstat last night and that seemed to solve my overheating issues.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Has anyone upgraded the radiator? Long term review?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Speaking of cleaning engines, is engine steam cleaning still a thing. Or did it vanish with the 50's greasers? Haven't been able to find anyone who does this. Fixing to hit the biggest detailing shops next.

·
Registered
202 Posts
LOL MM...I know I know, it's dirty! It's getting cleaned here soon...
"Always with the negative waves..." ha ha!

Hey, you mentioned opening up every air inlet except the one just in front of the hood where the emblem is. I was just looking at this and looks like opening that would steal some of the low pressure area from behind the radiator. Kinda of an air deflector bypass.

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has anyone upgraded the radiator? Long term review?
Not yet but I have one coming that will be going in hopefully before the new year.

"Always with the negative waves..." ha ha!

Hey, you mentioned opening up every air inlet except the one just in front of the hood where the emblem is. I was just looking at this and looks like opening that would steal some of the low pressure area from behind the radiator. Kinda of an air deflector bypass.
I'm not sure how much it would help that since the radiator has that big duct in front of it to draw air in from the lower grill. I'm sure it would affect it, but not sure how much.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Have you tuft-tested the vents to see which way the air is going when you are driving?

Reactions: SKY_RADSTER
1 - 20 of 46 Posts