Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
In prior cars I've owned, I've removed the weather strip that runs along the cowling at the back of the engine bay. The one that runs from left to right in front of the windshield and makes an airtight seal between the cowl and the hood. Upon shutdown I'd put my hand there and feel the heat venting out. Not sure what the seal is supposed to do other than keeping the HVAC fresh air intake from pulling in hot air. Might be an idea to speed shutdown engine cooling on our cars.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any one thought of removing the thermostat all together? I believe the worst that could happen is a slightly longer warm up period. The thermostat itself even in wide open position is a flow restrictor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm thinking of opening those fake vents on the hood and wheels on my supercharged 2008 Sky base. Do you need to screen them?

·
Super Moderator
6,115 Posts
I'm thinking of opening those fake vents on the hood and wheels on my supercharged 2008 Sky base. Do you need to screen them?
There is no functional reason to screen them.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
....unless you drive through pebble fields routinely. ;-)

But on some cars where the water will drip on something you don't want it to (often electrical bits) you often arrange for a shallow tray right under the vents to channel the water away from the vital bits.

·
Super Moderator
6,115 Posts
....unless you drive through pebble fields routinely. ;-)

But on some cars where the water will drip on something you don't want it to (often electrical bits) you often arrange for a shallow tray right under the vents to channel the water away from the vital bits.
I will submit that if you need screens over the vents of a Sky to keep pebbles out of the engine bay you might want to think about a different vehicle.

In post #1 of this thread, Robotech stated that water incursion is not a problem with opened vents in the Sky.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Did you have to cut the hood ?

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Are these drop in vents?
I'm not in the habit of using the dirty F word, but I have to confess...I used some mustang vents on my C5 Z06 to get heat out as well. No issues with lift at almost 190mph or water intrusion.

·
7,051 Posts
Hey Robo, where are the pictures of these functional hood vents installed TOP VIEW please, thanks! :p

·
Super Moderator
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Hey Robo, where are the pictures of these functional hood vents installed TOP VIEW please, thanks! :p
Damn, good to see you Marvic!

I'll have to dig up some pictures but the ones on TXS1956 are are the same vents. That makes at least three I've seen including mine.

Edit: here is the best "above" picture I have...

·
Super Moderator
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Are these drop in vents?
I'm not in the habit of using the dirty F word, but I have to confess...I used some mustang vents on my C5 Z06 to get heat out as well. No issues with lift at almost 190mph or water intrusion.
These are not drop in vents. You have to do some cutting to the hood.

·
7,051 Posts
Thanks Robo, Love thsoe vents on your hood. I think I would of gone your way instead of spending the big $$$$'s with the Viper hood that I patiently waited for many years ago.... :)
Also, Super Stripes on your hood... 👍

·
Super Moderator
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks Robo, Love thsoe vents on your hood. I think I would of gone your way instead of spending the big $$$$'s with the Viper hood that I patiently waited for many years ago.... :)
Also, Super Stripes on your hood... 👍
Thanks Marvic. I've only seen these vents on three cars. Mine, Paul Clark's 2JZ swapped Sky and that gray Sky above. They are off a 2013 Mustang...shhhhh...but I think Paul used ones off an actual Mustang...mine and I think the car above used ones FOR a Mustang but are real carbon fiber from ARC and are meant to be more universal.

It has been a while since you've seen it...I've done a few things:

Wilwood 6 piston 13" front brakes. 1 piston rears
8.8:1 forged and coated pistons, forged rods, in a LEA block
Port and polished head with +1mm oversized valves, stiffer valve springs and titanium retainers
WR-4 turbo from PAW
Custom interior

Those are the highlights. LOL...and the hood vents...

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
Yea, I don't think Jim is coming back. He has done many hot rods for the magazine guys. One of the best, but is absolutely terrified of the virus. He hasn't been to work for at least 4 months. Miss seeing him. Good people for sure.

·
Super Moderator
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yea, I don't think Jim is coming back. He has done many hot rods for the magazine guys. One of the best, but is absolutely terrified of the virus. He hasn't been to work for at least 4 months. Miss seeing him. Good people for sure.
I had a feeling. Totally understand. Jim is good people.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm going to try and redo my door inserts in the next week or 2....I'm going with white boat vinyl since I can't find a reputable leather dealer by me for it and I refuse to by it off of fleabay. It's a lot more durable then most vinyls and I can get the texture that I want. And white leather is very tough to find anyway.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts