Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'm going to try and redo my door inserts in the next week or 2....I'm going with white boat vinyl since I can't find a reputable leather dealer by me for it and I refuse to by it off of fleabay. It's a lot more durable then most vinyls and I can get the texture that I want. And white leather is very tough to find anyway.
My seats and inserts are Marine Vinyl and I love it. Very durable and most folks think its the stock leather. Feels like it. Felt like it was best to have it in convertible for durability.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The dang pandemic scares some, and rightfully so.

A friend of mine said another friend of his just had a double-lung transplant. COVID-19 messed up his lungs that badly. He is 58, a healthy non-smoker.

We manage the pandemic with proper respect. We practice as we are instructed and live life, and it is still a good life. If The Lord takes us anyway, then let it be so. We are going to get there sooner or later.

BTW: Robotech..... (y)

·
7,051 Posts
Thanks Marvic. I've only seen these vents on three cars. Mine, Paul Clark's 2JZ swapped Sky and that gray Sky above. They are off a 2013 Mustang...shhhhh...but I think Paul used ones off an actual Mustang...mine and I think the car above used ones FOR a Mustang but are real carbon fiber from ARC and are meant to be more universal.

It has been a while since you've seen it...I've done a few things:

Wilwood 6 piston 13" front brakes. 1 piston rears
8.8:1 forged and coated pistons, forged rods, in a LEA block
Port and polished head with +1mm oversized valves, stiffer valve springs and titanium retainers
WR-4 turbo from PAW
Custom interior

Those are the highlights. LOL...and the hood vents...

View attachment 113093
You created a very beautiful Sky, since I been gone... :cool:
I fact, before I left this forum for a while I really thought you would blow and destroy your SKY, thank God I was wrong, NICE JOB Robo!!! (y)

·
Super Moderator
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You created a very beautiful Sky, since I been gone... :cool:
I fact, before I left this forum for a while I really thought you would blow and destroy your SKY, thank God I was wrong, NICE JOB Robo!!! (y)
Well it isn't too late yet. LOL And I did stretch the head bolts....LOL Thank you though.

Course the recall stuff kept me busy for a while. Can't remember if you were still here when that was going on...

·
7,051 Posts
Well it isn't too late yet. LOL And I did stretch the head bolts....LOL Thank you though.

Course the recall stuff kept me busy for a while. Can't remember if you were still here when that was going on...
While I was here, the last recall was the key ignition problem but something was being on the works on the passenger seat air bag deployment malfunction..
I'm trying to locate the person I sold my car to and see if they would like to sell it back to me but no way will I pay anything close to what I got for it from him. The guy is a sports car collector so don't know if he's willing to part with it. The Sky sit right now in Maine..

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
OK, I am going to tempt Karma. I have had my car (08 Redline with Trifects tune an 92,000 miles) 4 years in south texas (90 to110 for the highs) and I never see temps over 198 sans AC and 204 with AC and have never had to burp the system. Still has original Dextrol in it and original Water Pump. Did add a quart of distilled water 6 months ago. Why do others have have temp troubles.? I am afraid to ask questions for fear it will imediately act up. 6 months ago I was considering changing the 12 year old coolant but decided to let a sleeping dog lie because others have troubles. If it aint broke, dont fix it.....maybe....?? I have the two anti burp check valves, but am afraid to touch the system that is running so well to put them in.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Dex-cool needs to be changed every 5 years even according to GM.

You might want to take a look at this:

I switched to another coolant when I changed and have never had any issues.

Reactions: JohnWR

·
Super Moderator
6,115 Posts
I agree that 12-year-old DexCool, or any coolant, is too old and should be changed.

I am still using DexCool after changing, and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd say go for it. New coolant can only extend the life of the pump and the chemistry changes over time. Hence, GM's 5-year schedule regardless of mileage.

You need to use a vacuum to refill it. Easy to get the kit on Amazon but you'll need a small shop air compressor to use it. Otherwise, the service manual cites a secondary method: raise the overflow bottle 14" above it's normal location and fill from there. Since the level indication switch connector wire is too short for this, you'll need to detach it. Either of these procedures will protect you from the dreaded inconsistent overheating issue. Your one-way brass valves will (over time) purge superfluous air out, yielding 100% cooling capacity in the cooling system. One more note, there's a drain bolt at the bottom of the water pump housing. Remove it to drain additional fluid from the motor, as opposed to just what's in the radiator. Quite a bit comes out so I recommend it. The bolt is not tapered. It seals via a metal gasket (basically a finely machined thin washer). I can send you copies of the entire service manual section on this if that helps.

My personal fluid mix is 100% distilled water with 1 bottle of Water Wetter. No freeze protection but impressive cooling (antifreeze is a poor heat conductor). Given where you and I live, freezing isn't an issue. Also, my reasoning and experience indicates that it's probably the chemistry of the antifreeze that attacks pump seals. Since using my personal mix 25 years ago, I've never had a pump leak again. Finally, for your change, I would get enough distilled water to fill the system three times. Two for flushing, and one for a final fill.

I'm attaching two pictures of my overflow bottle. Note the lack of color because it's all water. It actually has a pink accent to it in bright sunlight due to the Water Wetter. No sedimintation despite not being run for months (it's on my to-do list to drive it around soon, and will a small amount of floating particulates (I don't have a solution for).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
While I was here, the last recall was the key ignition problem but something was being on the works on the passenger seat air bag deployment malfunction..
I'm trying to locate the person I sold my car to and see if they would like to sell it back to me but no way will I pay anything close to what I got for it from him. The guy is a sports car collector so don't know if he's willing to part with it. The Sky sit right now in Maine..
We got the recall on the Passenger Presence Sensor mat done. Took a while and it still isn't perfect but it did get done.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
That is EXACTLY why I wont waste my one and only paid repair on a working system.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The recall notice says if the repair fails within a year they'll do a part replacement for free. After a year, YOU pay! ha ha

My mat is clearly broken as it NEVER show's armed. Even if I sit my heavy butt in the seat. So, I'll just get the full replacement and be careful not to put anything but a well rounded soft little girlfriend behind on that seat again.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Good idea, but for a guy my age, the chances of finding one with a small butt are reduced.

Reactions: ZPM

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
My mat is clearly broken as it NEVER show's armed. Even if I sit my heavy butt in the seat. So, I'll just get the full replacement and be careful not to put anything but a well rounded soft little girlfriend behind on that seat again.
But you don't have any warnings on the DIC? That's a new one on me.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts