Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added the functional hood vents yet? I am thinking about adding them and just wondered if anyone else has had. I will let you know next week and take pics....

·
Registered
358 Posts
SKYRCKET said:
Has anyone added the functional hood vents yet? I am thinking about adding them and just wondered if anyone else has had. I will let you know next week and take pics....
I thnk I read somewhere that a member has done this and it improved the under the hood engine temperature. You might want to send seal9 a PM about this.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
what about rain getting in?

is that a concern?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will do that.....

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I am in USMC's court here -- I realize the temps will be much better (and after seeing them climb in hot, city traffic -- I'd love to see them work), but I worry about water. If there was a gutter, drain system that dumped the air water behind the engine so as to not get it all wet -- perhaps that would be better. . .

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Last time I checked, the bottom of the engine compartment was open. I'm sure that you must get a whole bunch of spray up in there everytime you're driving in the rain.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Saturn Motorsports has a set of hood vents, but I don't know if they have drains or not. I am getting some once I put the short headers in, we don't get much rain here in Vegas so drain or not it should not pose a problem.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
ggccg said:
Last time I checked, the bottom of the engine compartment was open. I'm sure that you must get a whole bunch of spray up in there everytime you're driving in the rain.
Oh I bet you are correct but spray is not gallons of water running down on top of your engine and associated wiring etc., when parked in the rain or driving through it.:willy:
Also if you remove the batting from the hood - is there a danger of discoloring the paint due to the high temps under the hood???:confused:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Looking at the pictures on the s*****motorsports page, it doesn't look like there is any drain... I see daylight clear through the vents in the large picture they have posted.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
For some reason I don't remember when or by who but I thought I heard that you should not make these vents functional. They are this way for a reason. I'll try to search later.

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
I don't see the problem. If you all check your harnesses they are all waterproof connectors and should be well sealed. It doesn't matter if you get a drop or a buck, water on an open wire is bad.

These are heat extractors. In theory, air should be flowing out of them keeping out most water while moving. When stopped, that's another story but again, the water should run down and away from the engine. Not much different than when you're cleaning an engine. In my 10 year old Grand Prix I actually hose the engine down (we're talking high pressure water here) and while I try to stay away from the major electronics they still get wet and I've had no electrical problems so far. The wiring and sensors in our cars are pretty well protected.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
deluke said:
For some reason I don't remember when or by who but I thought I heard that you should not make these vents functional. They are this way for a reason. I'll try to search later.
I remember some cautionary language about that too. Something about engineers do or do not do things for good reasons and that opening up these vents could lead to unexpected and not necessarily good air-flows that could cause overheating of batteries and other electronic parts. I seem to recall some concerns about possible effects on aerodynamic stability at high speed also.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Robotech said:
I don't see the problem. If you all check your harnesses they are all waterproof connectors and should be well sealed. It doesn't matter if you get a drop or a buck, water on an open wire is bad.

These are heat extractors. In theory, air should be flowing out of them keeping out most water while moving. When stopped, that's another story but again, the water should run down and away from the engine. Not much different than when you're cleaning an engine. In my 10 year old Grand Prix I actually hose the engine down (we're talking high pressure water here) and while I try to stay away from the major electronics they still get wet and I've had no electrical problems so far. The wiring and sensors in our cars are pretty well protected.
Hmmmm you make a very good point. After all they steam clean my 97 SC2 everytime they service the engine... No problems yet!
Maybe just a tray to flow the water to the sides when she is parked..

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
ggccg said:
Looking at the pictures on the s*****motorsports page, it doesn't look like there is any drain... I see daylight clear through the vents in the large picture they have posted.
SaturnMotorsports is a member/sponsor... you may post their name freely. :D :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
ggccg said:
I remember some cautionary language about that too. Something about engineers do or do not do things for good reasons and that opening up these vents could lead to unexpected and not necessarily good air-flows that could cause overheating of batteries and other electronic parts. I seem to recall some concerns about possible effects on aerodynamic stability at high speed also.
:agree: :agree:

Yes, I believe one of the engineers said it in KC. But it had nothing to do with water or getting wet, it had to deal with the air flow.

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
deluke said:
It was from one of the question/answer posts. It was advised not to make functional the hood or side vents because it could cause undesirable effects with the wind current under the hood.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Pitcom said:
It was from one of the question/answer posts. It was advised not to make functional the hood or side vents because it could cause undesirable effects with the wind current under the hood.
Thanks Pitcom, I knew I read it somewhere.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I think this is what I saw... from http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1400&page=2&highlight=hood+air+vents

KappaMan speaks:

Well, air flow is one of those things that are tested and modelled early in the program - to determine fan sizes and duty cycles, adequate engine cooling/condensers/intercoolers, adequate air flow for components near exhausts and other hot parts, adequate flow for brake cooling, etc.

These parts are nailed down early in the design and generally change very little throughout the evolution of the design. The Solstice is a great example of this, and the Sky is likely to follow same pattern. Air flow and underhood cooling are definitely set a MINIMUM of 6 months and more like 8-12 months before the cars start coming off the end of the line.

So, since the shape has already likely been in the wind tunnel, and they prolly already know the airflow underhood and around the front end, the cars we are seeing are VERY HIGH likelihood of being very representative.
Even though these are "prototype" show cars, they are probably more representative than the "mule" level Solstices that were sent to England over a year and a half ago.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
There was a post on here a while back of an interview with a Saturn/GM engineer. He was asked about opening the vents (if I remember correctly). His concern was changing the airflow of the car. I'm sure that's his response for "It hasn't been tested but you can do it. If it screws up your car I told you not to so don't come crying to me." :lol:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I dunno, the idea of water running across the top of my engine for 10 hrs a day while I'm working doesn't thrill me. I think they look awesome but not sure I will take the chance.

and normally, when you spray your engine, do you normally dry it before taking off? or let it sit and air dry for a bit?

I used to spray my 'stangs but that was pre-ecm and all these electronic components. not much to worry about.. carb, dist, coil. I would just let it air dry for a bit before starting and no prob.

this was brought up in another thread and most of the people who planned on opening those vents were the same people who weren't going to drive in the rain anyway... maybe a sprinkle here and there but not on a daily basis.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts