Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So LONG story short My starter was shot and I had it repaired. Just got it back in the car, alternator was also tested and showed to be working perfectly. Brand new battery, also tested and working perfectly.
The car now starts! Yay!

But wait...there's more.
Now im getting the alternator not charging battery light on the dash when the car is running for a few seconds. After doing some research I believe its the fusible link.
issue? I have no idea how to replace this or with what. I keep reading that you need to go through a dealer and get a direct replacement. Is there nowhere to order one? Need as much info as I can get on this thing. Mostly because I didn't know it existed before reading about this problem.

Next problem though, where does this thing connect?
I keep reading about starter, and alternator post, and battery positive line....

Please someone help with a direct answer. The circles are making my head spin.
If the car is starting fine, but the battery is not charging, to me that says issue with link between alternator and battery. I don't see why the link to the starter would matter... But what do I know?

And yes, did an initial test on the alternator post with car off(was told should be at 12v) and it was reading nothing. Battery fine, but is indeed not charging.

Thanks in advance for the amazing assistance im sure you guys will give to solve this.

·
Super Moderator
5,269 Posts
There is a fusible link in the red wire that runs from the generator to the starter, and it is at the starter end connection.

There is no mention of it in my service manuals but it is shown in the charging diagrams for the '06 and '07.

It should be a 5-6" long piece of smaller wire spliced into the end of the wire from the generator with a ring terminal at one end.

As far as I can tell, they are available in 12, 14, 16, and 18 gauges and should be 4 gauges smaller than the main wire.

Absent any information about what it should be, you can strip the insulation off of what is left of yours and measure it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a fusible link in the red wire that runs from the generator to the starter, and it is at the starter end connection.

There is no mention of it in my service manuals but it is shown in the charging diagrams for the '06 and '07.

It should be a 5-6" long piece of smaller wire spliced into the end of the wire from the generator with a ring terminal at one end.

As far as I can tell, they are available in 12, 14, 16, and 18 gauges and should be 4 gauges smaller than the main wire.

Absent any information about what it should be, you can strip the insulation off of what is left of yours and measure it.
So it is the red wire that runs to the starter. And its near the starter end?

Would that cause the no charge? But allow the car to start perfectly fine?

·
Super Moderator
5,269 Posts
Yes, and yes. The red wire carries current from the generator to the starter. From there it uses the larger battery cable to charge the battery. Starting current uses the large battery cable, and doesn't have to go to the generator, so starting is unaffected.

It is just the last several inches of the red wire that is the fusible link. There should be a visible splice, and the link will be a smaller wire.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, and yes. The red wire carries current from the generator to the starter. From there it uses the larger battery cable to charge the battery. Starting current uses the large battery cable, and doesn't have to go to the generator, so starting is unaffected.

It is just the last several inches of the red wire that is the fusible link. There should be a visible splice, and the link will be a smaller wire.
So all I need to do it figure out what gauge wire the red one actually is, and go 4 down and put one in place of the "supposedly broken" link.

Very cool. Now if I only knew what size that wire was. lol. Would love to get that ordered before I had a chance to go tear it apart again to find it.

·
Super Moderator
5,269 Posts
If I am reading the wiring diagram correctly, the red generator wire is 6 AWG as it is designated 13mm^2. The proper fusible link by the formula would be 10 AWG, but the largest I have seen anywhere is 12 AWG.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I am reading the wiring diagram correctly, the red generator wire is 6 AWG as it is designated 13mm^2. The proper fusible link by the formula would be 10 AWG, but the largest I have seen anywhere is 12 AWG.
Awesome! thank you so much for the help.

Can always get great electrical information on here from you man. lol

Ill order a 12 and fix it Monday =)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts