Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving posts from a for-sale thread because they do not belong in that thread, but don't deserve to be deleted.

Please everyone keep in mind that posts in for-sale threads are restricted to the sale.

Reactions: Hickhaven

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
If your garage permits, you can install a 4-post lift to put the Sky on top of the sedan/4x4. I presume your garage could if it can fit a motorhome! Either case, GLWS.
Our current garage ceiling is 11 feet high. The single motorhome garage door is 10 feet tall. The dual car garage door is 8 feet tall. The depth of the garage in the dual port area is roughly 22 feet. Adding a 4-post lift in the motorhome bay means the motorhome stays outside. Adding the lift in the dual port bay means the garage door can't open when a car is on it. Adding to the complexity are soffits in the ceiling going left to right that box in a steel I beam and heat ductwork for the bedroom above. The only practical solution is building another garage.

Here is a "dated" picture of our garage. (Corvette & Ranger were both sold in 2013) Note the motorhome HERE to the left and the change in garage depth by the stainless steel rolling tool cabinet.
Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
789 Posts
Building Urban design City Roof House

Our current garage ceiling is 11 feet high. The single motorhome garage door is 10 feet tall. The dual car garage door is 8 feet tall. The depth of the garage in the dual port area is roughly 22 feet. Adding a 4-post lift in the motorhome bay means the motorhome stays outside. Adding the lift in the dual port bay means the garage door can't open when a car is on it. Adding to the complexity are soffits in the ceiling going left to right that box in a steel I beam and heat ductwork for the bedroom above. The only practical solution is building another garage.

Here is a "dated" picture of our garage. (Corvette & Ranger were both sold in 2013) Note the motorhome HERE to the left and the change in garage depth by the stainless steel rolling tool cabinet.
View attachment 118015
An alternative to the conventional roll up garage door is a hanger style door. This might allow you to install a four post lift.

·
Administrator
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alter the garage door track to hug the ceiling, remove the conventional garage door opener and install a jack shaft opener.
This is the route I will be following next year if I still cannot find a new place with a adequate shop and garage space.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The aircraft hanger door idea is interesting, but in my case, the soffit across the middle provides less than 10 feet interior height where height is needed most. Then there is the elephant in the room of having a 4-post lift smack dab in the main garage area, in the way of getting around in the garage. Maybe I can bring up this idea as an alternative plan for my wife to pick the lesser of two evils....the second garage. 😋

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've seen a few used as designer doors for patio access but not for vehicular garages. What's the MTBF for the hangar style garage doors?
You can replace the overhead garage door motor to that of a side-mounted motor. Might help you free up some space. Then install a lift.

At the end of the day, if open top driving lifestyle no longer resonates with you it makes sense to move on. Nice Class-B rig btw!

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
165 Posts
Can I please take a second to point out how awesome it is that everyone here is so willing and wanting to provide ideas to enable Gramps to keep, rather than sell his Sky. This is the type of camaraderie that originally encouraged me to join and participate in this forum. cheers to everyone.
I brought this idea up to Gramps quite a while ago and even if it doesn't apply to him, the following info may be of help to others.
I ran into this exact situation when we replaced a motorcycle with the Sky. I have a two-stall garage 24' wide by 28' deep with a 10' 6 " ceiling and 9' doors. The sky would not fit in the corner formerly occupied by the motorcycle. After the "who's parking outside discussion" ended in a stale mate, we considered garage extensions, a separate garage, even a Home Depot prefab shed large enough to fit the car. Ultimately, all buildings and building extensions are expensive and also carry the burden of increased property taxes.
A friend suggested a four-post lift which I immediately laughed at and dismissed because "No way that thing was going to fit". In desperation, I spent about four hours in the garage one day with the lift schematics, a tape measure, a roll of tape, a pile of empty boxes and some boards. To my amazement, I found that by moving my tool boxes, positioning the lift in the rear of the garage and parking the car backwards on the lift, I could park three cars in a two-stall garage.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Not to mention the added advantage of having a lift! Remember, the lift does not have to be positioned in the center of the garage and rolling tool boxes have wheels for a reason. Also, our cars are not rectangular like a brick ... with the car properly positioned, the opener only needs to clear the hood. If one were willing to park the car with the top down, the windshield is the highest point to contend with which creates additional positioning options that may clear a center beam and garage door opener. You can park two Sky's one on top of the other in a garage with only a 9' 6" ceiling! Try to think outside the box. As an added bonus ... No mouse has EVER climbed the leg of the lift and got into the car. Yes, it crowds the garage and there are compromises. I am lucky that I am short enough to walk under the lift without smacking my head. It all comes down to how much you really want it.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

This is a basic, cheap Atlas lift. In 2017 it was $2800. delivered to my house. I assembled it myself but could have had it done for an additional $100.00.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hmmm... 20ft. used shipping container delivered to your door or driveway option
of choice. On a roll back bada bing- presto changeo- justa likea that for about $3K.
You can't build another garage for that price, or alter your current one plus can be
installed on 4 concrete disk pads in less than 30 minutes give or take.
Buy Used 20ft Shipping Containers Online Today (eveoncontainers.com)

However- it could look like this maybe-

Output device Rectangle Automotive exterior Machine Aluminium

You can add a greenhouse to the side or top of this structure to satisfy the one
who is most important in your household too just say'n.

Where there is a will, and funds available from the one in charge of such things
with room for expansion ideas later- there is a way.

LAC

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Eleven feet is plenty of room for a four post lift...you just need to switch to a jack shaft opener and re-track to the door to the ceiling. I've done the same thing on two of our three bays.

Here the lifts are down low for the photo, but you can see how little height you need for short cars. In both these bays the doors, when open, are just a few inches from the ceiling. I can put a 4Runner in with the Sky, though it's a tight squeeze and the top has to be down on the Sky.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
165 Posts
Eleven feet is plenty of room for a four post lift...you just need to switch to a jack shaft opener and re-track to the door to the ceiling. I've done the same thing on two of our three bays.

Here the lifts are down low for the photo, but you can see how little height you need for short cars. In both these bays the doors, when open, are just a few inches from the ceiling. I can put a 4Runner in with the Sky, though it's a tight squeeze and the top has to be down on the Sky.

View attachment 118026
The bug eyes seem to be happy ... Look at those shiny smiling faces!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts