Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The 4 post lift might work, but it would be asking too much for my wife (and me too) to duck under all that to get into our sedan daily.

JohnWR, you are on the right track. If it were up to me, I would build a 3.5 car garage, architecturally identical to our house for a high class curb appeal. It would be made of the same brick and hip roof design with over-hanging eves styled similar to the main house. I would consider 3 individual 7 foot tall doors, the over-all garage height not to tower over the surrounding landscape. The street in front of our house is roughly 8 feet higher with a long sloping driveway down to the large parking pad so a low garage roof would look lower yet as not to dramatically impede the view of the surrounding landscape further improving curb appeal, something important to me.

The flip side would be to go nuts and build a steep tall roof with dormers for a loft with stairs, but we have piles of storage already.

Here is a pic of the 8 foot down slope from the street to the parking pad.
Plant Building Wheel Vehicle Tire

·
Administrator
7,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The 4 post lift might work, but it would be asking too much for my wife (and me too) to duck under all that to get into our sedan daily.

JohnWR, you are on the right track. If it were up to me, I would build a 3.5 car garage, architecturally identical to our house for a high class curb appeal. It would be made of the same brick and hip roof design with over-hanging eves styled similar to the main house. I would consider 3 individual 7 foot tall doors, the over-all building not to tower over the surrounding landscape. The street in front of our house is roughly 8 feet higher with a long sloping driveway down to the large parking pad so a low garage roof would look lower yet as not to dramatically impede the view of the surrounding landscape. I think that would be good for curb appeal, something important to us.
Don't you mean 3.5 car garage with attached greenhouse?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The amount of garage space and flat, usable outdoor space you have is truly remarkable.

Also, really, who cares if you park your everyday car outside? One of my cars is parked on the street in front of my house.

I also sold my Sky because of non use and I definitely miss it. If I had the amount of space that you do I'd surely have kept it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Your ochre coloured house kinda reminds of the Italian villas in Tuscany. Yes sell the Sky and replace it with little Alfa or Fiat convertible for that la vita dolce icing. :)

Another detached garage with a carriage home on top would be great. But not sure if you end up losing views and whatever permitting hurdle you have to overcome. Might be $$$ at the end of the day.
I think the path of least resistance would be:
a) sell the Sky
b) put one car outside
c) install a lift

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
What would it take to build a new 3.5 car garage with greenhouse time wise?
Would there be- local permits involved before construction begins?
Who would be doing said construction - hiring a reliable crew with best estimate?
Would the local HOA by- laws come into play somehow?
What funds would be available should this option be chosen?
How long are you & the wife willing to wait- for completion of said garage?

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Plant Car

Meanwhile- a beeping back up alarm is sounding off in your driveway with
your most recent purchase. That was quick.. sure was. No wait. No build it.
No crew to hire. No permits either. Don't like the color? Paint it, add some
mulch and shrubs- Bingo you're in business. Port of LA has tons of these
containers for usage.

LAC

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Can I please take a second to point out how awesome it is that everyone here is so willing and wanting to provide ideas to enable Gramps to keep, rather than sell his Sky. This is the type of camaraderie that originally encouraged me to join and participate in this forum. cheers to everyone.
I brought this idea up to Gramps quite a while ago and even if it doesn't apply to him, the following info may be of help to others.
I ran into this exact situation when we replaced a motorcycle with the Sky. I have a two-stall garage 24' wide by 28' deep with a 10' 6 " ceiling and 9' doors. The sky would not fit in the corner formerly occupied by the motorcycle. After the "who's parking outside discussion" ended in a stale mate, we considered garage extensions, a separate garage, even a Home Depot prefab shed large enough to fit the car. Ultimately, all buildings and building extensions are expensive and also carry the burden of increased property taxes.
A friend suggested a four-post lift which I immediately laughed at and dismissed because "No way that thing was going to fit". In desperation, I spent about four hours in the garage one day with the lift schematics, a tape measure, a roll of tape, a pile of empty boxes and some boards. To my amazement, I found that by moving my tool boxes, positioning the lift in the rear of the garage and parking the car backwards on the lift, I could park three cars in a two-stall garage.

View attachment 118018

Not to mention the added advantage of having a lift! Remember, the lift does not have to be positioned in the center of the garage and rolling tool boxes have wheels for a reason. Also, our cars are not rectangular like a brick ... with the car properly positioned, the opener only needs to clear the hood. If one were willing to park the car with the top down, the windshield is the highest point to contend with which creates additional positioning options that may clear a center beam and garage door opener. You can park two Sky's one on top of the other in a garage with only a 9' 6" ceiling! Try to think outside the box. As an added bonus ... No mouse has EVER climbed the leg of the lift and got into the car. Yes, it crowds the garage and there are compromises. I am lucky that I am short enough to walk under the lift without smacking my head. It all comes down to how much you really want it.

View attachment 118020

This is a basic, cheap Atlas lift. In 2017 it was $2800. delivered to my house. I assembled it myself but could have had it done for an additional $100.00.
@rjgramps This honestly looks like the solution. It appears it might work with your current setup as-is.

·
Registered
2007 Sky Redline
2 Posts
Our current garage ceiling is 11 feet high. The single motorhome garage door is 10 feet tall. The dual car garage door is 8 feet tall. The depth of the garage in the dual port area is roughly 22 feet. Adding a 4-post lift in the motorhome bay means the motorhome stays outside. Adding the lift in the dual port bay means the garage door can't open when a car is on it. Adding to the complexity are soffits in the ceiling going left to right that box in a steel I beam and heat ductwork for the bedroom above. The only practical solution is building another garage.

Here is a "dated" picture of our garage. (Corvette & Ranger were both sold in 2013) Note the motorhome HERE to the left and the change in garage depth by the stainless steel rolling tool cabinet.
View attachment 118015
A commercial overhead coiling door will reduce the encroachment of your garage door into your overhead space down to 2'. I took a conventional 2 car garage with conventional residential garage door with 11'9" ceiling and by installing a coiling overhead door created a 18'6" deep x 22' wide x 11'9" high box to store my toys with currently one 4 post lift with a 2nd soon to follow

·
Registered
95 Posts
The container garage sounds interesting, just curious how it would be for ventilation. Just concerned about a building that might trap moisture.
I'd wonder how long it would take to get to me. I'm in northern Minnesota.

Moisture build up is a good point too. I'm sure there's some sort of nifty system they have that makes use of s small footprint.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
105 Posts
What would it take to build a new 3.5 car garage with greenhouse time wise?
Would there be- local permits involved before construction begins?
Who would be doing said construction - hiring a reliable crew with best estimate?
Would the local HOA by- laws come into play somehow?
What funds would be available should this option be chosen?
How long are you & the wife willing to wait- for completion of said garage?

View attachment 118028

Meanwhile- a beeping back up alarm is sounding off in your driveway with
your most recent purchase. That was quick.. sure was. No wait. No build it.
No crew to hire. No permits either. Don't like the color? Paint it, add some
mulch and shrubs- Bingo you're in business. Port of LA has tons of these
containers for usage.

LAC
Where I live, storage containers, storage trailers, etc ... are temporary structures and only allowed for one year. If you want them longer than a year they are considered permanent structures, require permits, must conform to current codes and set backs and are added to property tax value. 🤨

·
Registered
690 Posts
I remember many moons ago when the military was closing bases and Quonset Huts 🛖 were being sold for pennies on the dollar. I’ve seen them used for auto repair shops, garages and a breakfast restaurant (Grandma’s USA Cafe) in Wisconsin Rapids.
I’m not sure if RJ would be able to sell this idea to his lovely bride. Perhaps 🤔 convince her it’s the barracks from Gomer Pile USMC…. When it arrives just tell her Surprise, Surprise,
Surprise! 😂

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
OP here,

Just so everyone here understands, the neighborhood we live in, nor my wife, would tolerate a shipping container in our yard. I realize this is not every forum member's situation, but it is our situation.

Yet I am glad every type of vehicle storage idea is being discussed. I enjoy the creativity.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts