Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not happy with any option about storing my garage door opener in my SKY. I didn't like it on the visor because it was to obvious to any idiot kid that wanted to ruin my day by swiping it. I keep the glove box locked with the top down, so I invariably arrived home with the key in the ignition and the glove box locked. The compartment between the seats in the rear bulkhead worked okay, but that's where I like to keep sunglasses and sunblock (things that I don't care if they get swiped) but it was not lockable. Placing the opener in the flap in front of the seat worked, but it looked awful as it was so large that the leather was distended way out looking like the seat was splitting and making the clicker visible to hoodlums again...

I read the posts about disassembling the clicker and mounting a custom botton on the dash. That's a good plan, but I tend to move every few years so I wanted something more flexible...

And then there was the post about the "key fob size garage door remote." That sounded like a possibility. I went to my friendly, neighborhood non-supporting-vendor-hardware-superstore, and there in the garage door section was just such a little remote. It was about thirty bucks.

Activation is simple. There was a diagram of several different models of opener pointing out the location of the "learn" button on the opener (not the clicker.) I used this to find the button on mine. Basically, the "learn" button tells the opener "A new signal from an authorized clicker is coming; accept this one from now on, too." You press the "Learn" button and a light stars blinking. Press the button on the Clicker, and the light goes solid - indicating "Okay, I think I read something." Press the button on the Clicker again, and the red light goes out indicating "Confirmed; I learned that one." Press the button again and the garage door opener does it's thing. That's all it takes.

Not wanting to have another fob in my pocket, and not wanting to add one to the wife's keychain as well, I now just stuff the clicker into the flap on the front of the seat - where it completely disappears because it is so small. A perfect, hidden solution.

Photos of the new and old clickers and provided below, alongside the standard key and fob for scale.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have been using the little Fob for a couple of years now. I ordered mine from the manufacture of my garage door opener. Priced about same as yours but its a tad smaller. about the size of saturn fob.
I keep it on my key ring and works great.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
usmc said:
I have been using the little Fob for a couple of years now. I ordered mine from the manufacture of my garage door opener. Priced about same as yours but its a tad smaller. about the size of saturn fob.
I keep it on my key ring and works great.
That's what I'm going with :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
My whole family uses the Skylink Replacement Keychain door openers. Much smaller than the original openers and can go along with the keys. I have mine velcro'd to the inside door of my glove compartment in my Sky in case I want to take it with me.

They used to sell them at Brookstone, Im not so sure anymore... but I highly recommend them.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Having ridden motorcycles predominately for the last 5 or 6 years, a key fob size opener has been a must. So it just naturally carried over to the Sky.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts