Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had their gas cap loosen by itself? Probably a stupid question..a few weeks ago my gas cap was loose and I thought I had not tightened it back correctly making my check engine light come on. Since that time I have been really careful about making sure it is on properly. Today the same thing happened.....the cap was loose.....My gas cap does not tighten..is this correct or is there something wrong with my gas cap?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have had the Check Gas Cap warning come up one time and the cap was indeed loose. Since then I have noticed that sometimes, it just doesn't matter how much I turn the cap... it just will not catch and I stand there looking like an idiot for a couple of minutes figiting with the cap until it finally catches. Very odd. It's on my list of things for the dealer to take a look at on my next visit.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is stock........is it suppose to be tight and no play?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had the Check Gas Cap warning come up one time and the cap was indeed loose. Since then I have noticed that sometimes, it just doesn't matter how much I turn the cap... it just will not catch and I stand there looking like an idiot for a couple of minutes figiting with the cap until it finally catches. Very odd. It's on my list of things for the dealer to take a look at on my next visit.
me too........now i have to ride with the check engine light for a couple of hundred miles............i

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
When I close the cap, I keep turning it many times, letting it click all it wants. I do at least 3 360 dgree turns--to make sure it is seated. So far so good.

·
Registered
420 Posts
no problems here with mine...but I do have the locking gas cap.
Basic design is the same though, just turn it clockwise until you hear it click and it's locked. I turn mine for 2 clicks to make sure it's locked.
Get your dealer to order you a new gas cap and the problem should be fixed. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
When I close the cap, I keep turning it many times, letting it click all it wants. I do at least 3 360 dgree turns--to make sure it is seated. So far so good.
When mine is in a cooperative mood, it will lock down in a half a turn or less... like the 1st or 2nd click. When not, it's turn, turn, turn, turn, turn, turn...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When mine is in a cooperative mood, it will lock down in a half a turn or less... like the 1st or 2nd click. When not, it's turn, turn, turn, turn, turn, turn...
i am bringing my car in friday.......will let you know........

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
took it to the dealer friday.....they tried about 10 times to duplicate what happened to me several times. Until i can make it happen for them it will not be covered by warranty........geeze...if one of my co-workers did not see what i was talking about and try also to make it fit correctly(it took her about 5 times to make it lock) i would think i was stupid or something!!!!!!why does it never duplicate the same action when you take your car in??what can a gas cap cost? for a vue the locking gas cap is about $30....it sort of pissed me off that i have to wait until it gets loose......i could duplicate that by just not turning it about 10 times or just by not turning it at all!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts