Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I didn't want to comment on this until I was certain it was happening on a regular basis...

I have noticed that every tank of gas has a panic low fuel moment. Let me explain: When I am getting to my last quarter tank of gas there will be at least one time that I start my Sky and the low fuel light comes on and I think to myself "Wow, I could have sworn I had more gas than that". And ill drive a ways and say I'll get gas later. When I start my car the next time out the gauge returns to around a quarter tank and then decreases at a normal level with the low fuel gauge chiming in at a more appropriate 30 or so miles later.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? My friend who has a BMW said he gets it sometimes too. I was curious if this has happened to other Sky owners and if someone can help explain what may be happening.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
It happened to me once. I figured it was just to bring your attention to you current fuel level. Kind of a Hey Look at me. So I have never really thought about it much more.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ya, i've noticed the same thing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Count me in 2!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
mine does it a little different, mine will show about 1/8 tank and all of a sudden it will drop down to Empty and the low fuel will come on and when i shut it off it goes back to the 1/8 tank again and a couple minutes later it will drop again and the low fuel light will come on...., then when i fill it up it will take about 12 gallons...

·
Registered
669 Posts
never happens to me...I always fill up at a quarter of a tank...

ok...it has happened...:D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Same here it has happened but I thought I was gaining my mind. Dun lost my mind a long time ago....Ithink that the tank sensor is a pulse read and it will drop down on a different reading according to road conditions. Of course I let my tank go down until the light comes on and then fill up...Skip...something more to worry about....:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well its good to know Im not alone! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
That sounds familiar to me...but with my GMC Envoy. :confused:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
SKYtime said:
That sounds familiar to me...but with my GMC Envoy. :confused:
This is not uncommon in GM High end products;
Many of us have had the same issue with C5 Corvettes.

The FIX: A couple bottles of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner

The long term FIX: Use nothing but Chevron gas (I do)

The problem stems from using “High Sulpher Content” gasoline (cheap gas)
It mucks up the fuel sending unit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine drops from 1/8 to nearly empty, turn the car off-on back to 1/4.
I've sarted filling up at 1/4.
The car has 6000 miles and I've used 91-93 octane either Chevron, Shell or BP. Extept for the first time this happened, then I added 5 gallons of no-name 89 octane.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I cannot believe u guys/gals wait to fill up when it reaches one-quarter or less....mine does not go below three quarters..and I don't let my other cars go less than half a tank...always be prepared. Electrical outages mean NO GAS...it is seldom but it does happen.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few times and I assumed that it was just overestimating, then I ran out of gas one day and have filled up everytime the light goes on since.

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
I cannot believe u guys/gals wait to fill up when it reaches one-quarter or less....mine does not go below three quarters..and I don't let my other cars go less than half a tank...always be prepared. Electrical outages mean NO GAS...it is seldom but it does happen.
hehehe...

It is VERY rare that I get to the gas station before it goes below the E line... gotta work on that!!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hehehe...

It is VERY rare that I get to the gas station before it goes below the E line... gotta work on that!!
Yeah, I am very bad as well... I need Mike's good habbits. Does anyone know if its better/worse/insignificant to wait 'till its low to fill up?

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Yeah, I am very bad as well... I need Mike's good habbits. Does anyone know if its better/worse/insignificant to wait 'till its low to fill up?
I've been told that my way of filling my tank is bad because I am sucking up the bad stuff from the bottom of the tank!

Course, if I'm always sucking it up, then there really isn't going to be much sitting there (like there would be otherwise)!

I can rationalize anything.

:D

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've been told that my way of filling my tank is bad because I am sucking up the bad stuff from the bottom of the tank!

Course, if I'm always sucking it up, then there really isn't going to be much sitting there (like there would be otherwise)!

I can rationalize anything.

I've found the best way to get rid of the bad stuff in the bottom of the tank is to rinse out the tank with the water hose once a month. :jester:

Ok...it's a joke, don't do it. :D

Actually, I have wondered, since there is supposed to be a lot of "bad stuff" in the bottom of the tank...how DO you get rid of it?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
running on empty

:lol:
I don't have the Sky yet but the other two new GM's have not showed those signs. The Impala tells you in the DIC your low on fuel, flip through the DIC and see how many miles your suppose to have and then plan on your stop to Fill it up, I never usually let it go below 1/4 tank. The corvette has done the same thing the one time it was allowed to get that low. :willy:
Now I have not personally tried this put OnStar is suppose to bring gas to you if your one of the gals/guys that forgets to fill it up. Would like to know if anyone on this forum has tried it yet? :yesnod:

TulsaSky

·
Registered
11 Posts
When the tank is about 1/4 full (or 3/4 empty for the pessimists), I have noticed the fuel guage will go to empty and the light will come on if I go down a steep decline (like a driveway) but goes back to normal once the car levels out. Just assumed with a 12 gallon tank the fuel was "sloshing" enough the low fuel sensor didn't read correctly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts