Saturn Sky Forum banner

Gas Mileage

5K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  GMguy 
#1 ·
Does Anyone Know Actual Gas Mileage?

#7 ·
:rolleyes: What about the type of gas? Can it use regular or do we need super/premium?

I tried searching the FAQs before asking :confused:

#10 ·
Attention! :nono: Only making a SAR - Having fun
With this car -- as long as I can make it to a gas station - I don't care. On the other hand being a Saturn I'd expect decent milage, but burning High Octane

BTW --- SAR = Smart A$$ed Remark

#11 ·
Rick Tinley Park said:
Attention! :nono: Only making a SAR - Having fun
With this car -- as long as I can make it to a gas station - I don't care. On the other hand being a Saturn I'd expect decent milage, but burning High Octane

BTW --- SAR = Smart A$$ed Remark

:agree: i totally agree with everything you just said... even the SAR... love that disclaimer... SkyBaby-07

#12 ·
SkyBaby said:
:agree: i totally agree with everything you just said... even the SAR... love that disclaimer... SkyBaby-07
Gotta be careful, SB (I can call you SB can't I??):D

#13 ·
Technically GM recommends 91+ octane, but the car can be run on regular WITH a performance loss and the chance of knock occuring. I'm not going to do the math because I've done it at least 20 times at the Sol forum but it only costs an extra $100 a year to use 91+ over 87 if you drive the insruance rated average of 12k miles a year.

I average 22~23 mpg city/daily driving, and 25~27 mpg when I take long trips. That's with the top down all the time too which greatly impacts fuel economy. When I drive with a very heavy foot I average 19~20 mpg which I feel is pretty good for driving like a crazy man.

When I race I get 6 mpg. :lol:

#15 ·
brentil said:
Technically GM recommends 91+ octane, but the car can be run on regular WITH a performance loss and the chance of knock occuring. I'm not going to do the math because I've done it at least 20 times at the Sol forum but it only costs an extra $100 a year to use 91+ over 87 if you drive the insruance rated average of 12k miles a year.

I average 22~23 mpg city/daily driving, and 25~27 mpg when I take long trips. That's with the top down all the time too which greatly impacts fuel economy. When I drive with a very heavy foot I average 19~20 mpg which I feel is pretty good for driving like a crazy man.

When I race I get 6 mpg. :lol:
Well... race? race you say?.. hmmmm.. what part of florida??? i feel a SOLSTICE/SKY race coming on soon..... i will be down in clearwater beach are the first of may.. for a few weeks.....hmmmm... u game? SkyBaby-07

#16 ·
SkyBaby said:
Well... race? race you say?.. hmmmm.. what part of florida??? i feel a SOLSTICE/SKY race coming on soon..... i will be down in clearwater beach are the first of may.. for a few weeks.....hmmmm... u game? SkyBaby-07
I do SCCA SOLO II competitions. I also do a local smaller club's autocross events as well. I'm in the Central Florida area which is where I race as well.

#17 ·
I've just discovered how to have it show the MPG on the Driver info ctr-I got 16.7 today driving in city traffic. The dealer filled it up with regular, so I'll try the next tank at premium and see if there's a difference for ya!:driving:

#18 · (Edited)
NCBlue said:
I've just discovered how to have it show the MPG on the Driver info ctr-I got 16.7 today driving in city traffic. The dealer filled it up with regular, so I'll try the next tank at premium and see if there's a difference for ya!:driving:
You can reset the DIC by holding the button at the bottom of the buttons. The DIC is only real good over very long term results or immediate results. If you want to get accurate mpg info you should record your information yourself and calculate it.

I personally use https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do to do this.

#19 ·
First Fill-up

Well I finally had to get gas on Monday. The Fuel range said 32, then I cranked it up and it said "fuel range low". The gas gauge read just above the E, and the warning light (little amber gas pump) came on with a warning chime. I got gas at lunch and filled it with premium-12.5 gal. The mileage was 306, so avg MPG was 24.48. Not bad-with regular gas. I'll let you know how long this tank lasts. So the low indicator comes on with about 1-2 gal in the tank. Just thought ya'll would like to know! :D

#20 ·
NCBlue said:
Well I finally had to get gas on Monday. The Fuel range said 32, then I cranked it up and it said "fuel range low". The gas gauge read just above the E, and the warning light (little amber gas pump) came on with a warning chime. I got gas at lunch and filled it with premium-12.5 gal. The mileage was 306, so avg MPG was 24.48. Not bad-with regular gas. I'll let you know how long this tank lasts. So the low indicator comes on with about 1-2 gal in the tank. Just thought ya'll would like to know! :D
Yeah the "Fuel range low" if you have the DIC comes on when you hit 40 miles left on the fuel rance, and then the light/chime comes on around 10 or 20 miles left I believe.

#21 ·
Just returned from a trip to Tenn. from Ind. in my manual with the top up and the wife. Got 28.5 mpg twice and 30.5 once and I fill the tank as full as I can get it with premium each time. This is a calculated mpg not estimated or from the DIC and running 75 mph most of the time. Total miles on the car to date is 1300. I think it has something to do with the Chili Pepper Red paint. Car is not perfect yet but will be tomorrow. Then it should be up to my Miata standards. On the 350 mile trip it was very comfortable. Likeing it better every day.:driving: :driving:

#25 ·
MrJester said:
:rolleyes: What about the type of gas? Can it use regular or do we need super/premium?

I tried searching the FAQs before asking :confused:
oh no.......here we go again..................:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.