Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2009 Sky Redline. I was having issues filling the gas tank and started trouble shooting. From the plug on the vent valve I have 12v to ground all the time and 12v to ground on the white wire with key on. Is this correct? I do have code P0449.
thanks, Jay
This is my first post hope I did it correctly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The fuel filling issue is more likely to do with a partially blocked charcoal canister and that possibly from topping up your fuel tank. There are numerous threads here discussing this issue and how to fix it.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I wonder why the canister is not self draining as you drain the tank while driving the car.

·
Administrator
8,063 Posts
The canister is not blocked by the fuel itself, but by the charcoal pellets that break loose when flooded by liquid fuel.

·
Premium Member
2007 emerald green 2.4
350 Posts
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Machine tool Auto part

So apparently the canister wasn't designed to lay sideways but engineering decided to "make it fit"
I had the issue of slow fill from the start of having the car. Chased looking for the not missing flap, pulled the filler tube and blew out the vent before finally cutting the trunk hump to gain access to the canister.
My thoughts are it has nothing to do with overfilling the tank, that wouldn't cause what I found! The canister actually dumped the charcoal and I had to clear most of the lines and actually had charcoal floating around in the tank.. used an aquarium fish net to get that out since it had half tank of gas and didn't want to mess around inside the tank much...
Automotive tire Gas Circle Tints and shades Rim

·
Administrator
8,063 Posts
So apparently the canister wasn't designed to lay sideways but engineering decided to "make it fit"
I had the issue of slow fill from the start of having the car. Chased looking for the not missing flap, pulled the filler tube and blew out the vent before finally cutting the trunk hump to gain access to the canister.
My thoughts are it has nothing to do with overfilling the tank, that wouldn't cause what I found! The canister actually dumped the charcoal and I had to clear most of the lines and actually had charcoal floating around in the tank.. used an aquarium fish net to get that out since it had half tank of gas and didn't want to mess around inside the tank much...
You could be correct, but there are a lot of high-mileage cars out there that have not had the problem, so it does not seem likely to be inherent to the design.

·
Premium Member
2007 emerald green 2.4
350 Posts
It is a gm , im sure some corners where cut on getting it on the market.. I think although not a complete design issue it seems an inherent problem and with most issues with the Kappa some people never have any problems and then there's my car that had just about every issue one could have!

·
Premium Member
2007 emerald green 2.4
350 Posts
I just wanted to point them in a direction and path to find a fix. Mine was extreme but my mom drove the car for ten years and it never saw more than 50 miles an hour or service beyond Walmart or Firestone so it had many issues

1 - 9 of 9 Posts