Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,
I just bought a 2007 Sky base and i noticed that the gas cap cover was not laying flat. When i looked at it the gas tank filler cup is not seating . i tried pushing it in but it keeps popping out. Has anyone had a similar issue? Or has any idea how to fix it?

Thanks
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
948 Posts
I had the same issue on our 2008 when we bought it in 2020. The fix was to remove the screws holding the cowl around the cap, then opening up the trunk and pulling the carpet. Next unscrew the access panel above the gas tank, loosen the filler neck clamp at the gas tank and then slide back the filler neck the 1/4” or so. You may need to twist it while you slide it back. Retighten the clamp and then reverse steps for everything else any you’re good to go. No idea why this happens, but that was the fix for me.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I had the same issue on our 2008 when we bought it in 2020. The fix was to remove the screws holding the cowl around the cap, then opening up the trunk and pulling the carpet. Next unscrew the access panel above the gas tank, loosen the filler neck clamp at the gas tank and then slide back the filler neck the 1/4” or so. You may need to twist it while you slide it back. Retighten the clamp and then reverse steps for everything else any you’re good to go. No idea why this happens, but that was the fix for me.
If they would have placed the filler tube clamp screw head facing down instead of up, it would have been much easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the post. Is there any particular Got ya's on removing the trunk liner or working with the filler neck clamp?
Thanks again

·
Registered
948 Posts
Thanks for the post. Is there any particular Got ya's on removing the trunk liner or working with the filler neck clamp?
Thanks again
It's pretty straight forward. When you pull the trunk liner, you will need to remove 2 nuts on each side that hold tether points for the top. They are under little caps that just pull off. You will also need to pop out the trunk light assembly from the liner to finally free it up. IIRC that should be all that is keeping the liner from pulling out. Just do some strategic tugs and it should twist and bend it's way out. The access panel to the fuel tank is held down with maybe a dozen screws these are all removed and the panel comes off easily. The filler neck connection is a little to the side of the panel opening so this is really the trickiest part. There's not a ton of room and you will be working somewhat blindly when you loosen and retighten the filler neck hose clamp. I also had to use a small flathead screwdriver to get the filler neck hose to unseat from the connection I believe too. It takes a couple twists and pulls and it won't feel like it moved at all, but it should be enough to get the filler neck assembly in a position to where everything sits flush.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to get to filler neck hose clamp but it was just to hard to get to. I was thinking removing the hose that connects to the gas tank off and pulling out the whole tube assembly and then adjusting the clamp closes to where the gas cap goes and then putting back on the tank.
Can you think of any problems that might cause because it seems to me like a logical approach.
Thanks

·
Registered
948 Posts
I tried to get to filler neck hose clamp but it was just to hard to get to. I was thinking removing the hose that connects to the gas tank off and pulling out the whole tube assembly and then adjusting the clamp closes to where the gas cap goes and then putting back on the tank.
Can you think of any problems that might cause because it seems to me like a logical approach.
Thanks
Yes I believe that's what I had to do too.

I finally found it, but here's the thread I followed when I did mine and it worked beautifully.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts