Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
2007 base, stage 2 turbo, mods galore...
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after looking at everyone's dash faces i have yet to see one like mine.. im assuming the base had the black face and the redlines had white. My 07 base w the upgraded interior has black tac and speedo but my gas gauge is white..
I know it came that way from the factory but just curious if anyone else has this and figure I'd stir something up here..
Speedometer Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Its blurry but for reference

· Registered
4,719 Posts
That looks more like a Solstice gauge face than a Sky ( :) ), but I'm betting that's actually a custom face from BlackCatCustoms(.com) that the prev owner put in. Many of us have done the same.

· Administrator
8,877 Posts
The early base Skys are all black. The fuel gauge was switched to white at some point for better visibility.

I believe that is a factory later production base Sky color scheme.

· Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The early base Skys are all black. The fuel gauge was switched to white at some point for better visibility.

I believe that is a factory later production base Sky color scheme.
Mine is an emerald green 07 that came with black and tan "leather" interior and tan top. Just haven't seen another one like it. I'm sure I'm not that special🙄

· Registered
2007 Base Roadster, "Stock" for the most part, but with lots of interior illumination changes
2,416 Posts
That is interesting. I have not noticed a white gas gauge in the base roadster. My early production 2007 face is shown here. Is the white gas gauge applied in late 2007s through 2010?
Speedometer Gauge Plant Odometer Trip computer

For reference, I changed mine to this, a face from BlackCatCustom.com
I had them modify one of their Sky base "templates" to my liking which cost me a little extra. I did it to delete unneccessary backlighting like for km/h, the name "SKY" and the X1000 below the RPM. I also had them adjust the fuel gauge graphics to my liking.

I assume my custom face remains on-file so if you like mine more than their standard Sky template, order the one made for Ron Dittmer. I assume that would save you the "customize" fee.

Note mine also has an aqua window for the DIC.
Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Trip computer Gauge

· Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks sweet! I really like the change of color on the DIC. That thing is impossible to see with the top down.
Like I said, I've never seen one like mine that's why I asked the pros

· Administrator
8,877 Posts
Looks sweet! I really like the change of color on the DIC. That thing is impossible to see with the top down.
Like I said, I've never seen one like mine that's why I asked the pros
I have one on my spare parts shelf, so there is at least one more like yours.

· Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks more like a Solstice gauge face than a Sky ( :) ), but I'm betting that's actually a custom face from BlackCatCustoms(.com) that the prev owner put in. Many of us have done the same.
My mom got the car in 07 and after checking the "data base" the car was one owner in Miami area before her. She barely did any maintenance so I'm pretty sure it came that way...

· Registered
2007 Saturn Sky Redline. 5-speed, gray. 87k miles on body. 1k miles on crate engine and turbos.
97 Posts
That is interesting. I have not noticed a white gas gauge in the base roadster. My early production 2007 face is shown here. Is the white gas gauge applied in late 2007s through 2010?
View attachment 121876
I had them modify one of their Sky base "templates" to my liking which cost me a little extra. I did it to delete unneccessary backlighting like for km/h, the name "SKY" and the X1000 below the RPM. I also had them adjust the fuel gauge graphics to my liking.

I assume my custom face remains on-file so if you like mine more than their standard Sky template, order the one made for Ron Dittmer. I assume that would save you the "customize" fee.

View attachment 121878
I love this. Reminds me of my Z-car the first year they came out with the "ZX" ('79, I think)..

If I order one, I want to make sure I get the easiest one to read. Value your opinion on that. Also, did you have to order the DIC lighting separately, or does that come with the LED option? I'm on the Black Cat site now, trying to figure out best combo. I know I DO NOT want blue, and I DO want the LED option. I can live with yellow or red.... Can't decide on the "Sky" lettering or not, or whether standard or "C" style looks best.

· Registered
2007 Base Roadster, "Stock" for the most part, but with lots of interior illumination changes
2,416 Posts
If I order one, I want to make sure I get the easiest one to read. Value your opinion on that. Also, did you have to order the DIC lighting separately, or does that come with the LED option? I'm on the Black Cat site now, trying to figure out best combo. I know I DO NOT want blue, and I DO want the LED option. I can live with yellow or red.... Can't decide on the "Sky" lettering or not, or whether standard or "C" style looks best.
I will try my best to answer your questions as brief as possible.

DIC Window Color
Sky red or Solstice blue. It is a plastic window as shown. Order your face with the color you want it. It is that simple.
Gauge Speedometer Measuring instrument Tachometer Auto part

T-shirt Sleeve Font Art Circle

Backlighting
BCCs backlighting kit is it's own purchased kit. Here it is installed by me.
(Note the natural color of the Sky DIC)
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering

I bought and installed the BCC IP LED kit, but considering everything l did throughout the interior with LED illumination, I believe I could have gotten the same or better results if I handled the IP like all the rest and simply solder in LEDs so that they are in the exact same position as the original incandescent bulbs.

Graphics and Fonts
That is a matter of personal taste. I do believe the white lettering of the BBC version is more white than the original Sky white letering. It is not a significant difference, but is worth noting. If you love the original graphics, I advise to reuse it. Just replace the 6 incandescent bulbs with 6 LEDs and you are done. If that is your decision, you don't need to order anything from BCC. Just buy THESE LEDs.
Gauge Tachometer Speedometer Measuring instrument Motor vehicle

Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Tachometer Gauge

· Registered
2007 Saturn Sky Redline. 5-speed, gray. 87k miles on body. 1k miles on crate engine and turbos.
97 Posts
View attachment 121876

View attachment 121878
I will try my best to answer your questions as brief as possible.

DIC Window Color
Sky red or Solstice blue. It is a plastic window as shown. Order your face with the color you want it. It is that simple.
View attachment 121880
View attachment 121881
Backlighting
BCCs backlighting kit is it's own purchased kit. Here it is installed by me.
(Note the natural color of the Sky DIC)
View attachment 121882
I bought and installed the BCC IP LED kit, but considering everything l did throughout the interior with LED illumination, I believe I could have gotten the same or better results if I handled the IP like all the rest and simply solder in LEDs so that they are in the exact same position as the original incandescent bulbs.

Graphics and Fonts
That is a matter of personal taste. I do believe the white lettering of the BBC version is more white than the original Sky white letering. It is not a significant difference, but is worth noting. If you love the original graphics, I advise to reuse it. Just replace the 6 incandescent bulbs with 6 LEDs and you are done. If that is your decision, you don't need to order anything from BCC. Just buy THESE LEDs.
View attachment 121883
View attachment 121884
My biggest issues are the DIC and the gas gauge. The rest is just for "cool" look.

I love that aqua DIC look in your pic. I guess that is the "blue" you are referring to in your response. I do like the black face, like the one just above.

Not sure if I want or need my speedo or tach any brighter, but I realize I will have to get them with the gas gauge LED. I'm wondering what the black face would look like with the standard lighting(?)...... The face and the DIC LED upgrade would be minimal upgrade for me, and the LED behind the face would be optional......
I'm going to chat with BCC directly (after I get this reverse LED problem fixed). Thanks for all your time and information. Very helpful.

· Registered
97 Posts
View attachment 121876

View attachment 121878

· Registered
97 Posts
My biggest issues are the DIC and the gas gauge. The rest is just for "cool" look.

I love that aqua DIC look in your pic. I guess that is the "blue" you are referring to in your response. I do like the black face, like the one just above.

Not sure if I want or need my speedo or tach any brighter, but I realize I will have to get them with the gas gauge LED. I'm wondering what the black face would look like with the standard lighting(?)...... The face and the DIC LED upgrade would be minimal upgrade for me, and the LED behind the face would be optional......
I'm going to chat with BCC directly (after I get this reverse LED problem fixed). Thanks for all your time and information. Very helpful.
[
View attachment 121876

View attachment 121878
How did you acheive that AQUA color? I have one of the LED strips you linked on my eBay watchlist, but it's white, of course. Did you order the Solstice gauge face. I have a Redline and I don't hate my gauge faces, at least not enough to do this installation (after reading the installation instructions on BCC). But, I definitely want to brighten my DIC. I can read the speedo and tach fine day or night. The small gas gauge needle is harder to read, tho. So, I wouldn't mind brighten up all of it, but I have way too many projects going on between the car and house to get that deep in one project. Plus this is not exactly in my wheelhouse, anyway. Plug and Play is more my speed, unless it's things around the house like carpentry and painting... I guess I could live with the orange-ish DIC color, if it was brighter. Probably could live with the gas gauge, too. Maybe down the line, I would do the whole gauge thing, because it is cool, but I'd want help from someone more used to doing that sort of thing than I. Thanks, again.

· Registered
2,416 Posts
How did you acheive that AQUA color? I have one of the LED strips you linked on my eBay watchlist, but it's white, of course. Did you order the Solstice gauge face. I have a Redline and I don't hate my gauge faces, at least not enough to do this installation (after reading the installation instructions on BCC). But, I definitely want to brighten my DIC. I can read the speedo and tach fine day or night. The small gas gauge needle is harder to read, tho. So, I wouldn't mind brighten up all of it, but I have way too many projects going on between the car and house to get that deep in one project. Plus this is not exactly in my wheelhouse, anyway. Plug and Play is more my speed, unless it's things around the house like carpentry and painting... I guess I could live with the orange-ish DIC color, if it was brighter. Probably could live with the gas gauge, too. Maybe down the line, I would do the whole gauge thing, because it is cool, but I'd want help from someone more used to doing that sort of thing than I. Thanks, again.
About the color of the DIC.....
Aqua is the natural color as seen here without a lens, but it is extremely bright. Saturn added a dark red lens to change the color from aqua to orange. BCC will provide either a dark gray lens to achieve what I have, or the dark red lens to achieve the original Sky orange. You choose which lens you desire.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering

My gauge face from BCC is NOT a Solstice gauge face, but it does resemble it.
Gauge Tachometer Measuring instrument Speedometer Font

IT is NOT possible to increase the intensity of light from the DIC and gas gauge without going deep as I had done. I advise to live with what you have. If it continues to bother you to the point of becoming daring, then research the depth of this project again. Know that once you open up the instrument cluster to replace anything, it is the perfect opportunity for a custom gauge face by BCC.

This project goes a lot deeper than most shade tree mechanics are comfortable attempting. I found it to be quite a challenge. It took a lot of determination and lots to learn, down to remounting of the 3 needles. Getting them into the right positions was it's own science project, certainly not straight forward as one would expect.

· Registered
97 Posts
Aqua is the natural color as seen here without a lens, but it is extremely bright. Saturn added a dark red lens to change the color from aqua to orange. BCC will provide either a dark gray lens to achieve what I have, or the dark red lens to achieve the original Sky orange. You choose which lens you desire.
View attachment 121885
View attachment 121886
IT is NOT possible to increase the intensity of light from the DIC and gas gauge without getting deep as I had done. I advise to live with what you have. If it continues to bother you to the point of becoming daring, then research the depth of this project again. Know that once you open up the instrument cluster to replace anything, it is the perfect opportunity for a custom gauge face by BCC.

This project goes a lot deeper than most shade tree mechanics are comfortable attempting. I found it to be quite a challenge. It took a lot of determination and lots to learn, down to remounting of the 3 needles. Getting them into the right positions was it's own science project, certainly not straight forward as one would expect.
Thanks, again. I think you are correct regarding the depth of this project... Especially for me.
To be clear, there's no way to brighten the DIC display without getting in deep?

· Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
View attachment 121885
View attachment 121886
IT is NOT possible to increase the intensity of light from the DIC and gas gauge without going deep as I had done. I advise to live with what you have. If it continues to bother you to the point of becoming daring, then research the depth of this project again. Know that once you open up the instrument cluster to replace anything, it is the perfect opportunity for a custom gauge face by BCC.

I took mine apart, carefully shaved about 3/4" off the inside of the bezel and " shimmed" the cluster from behind so they where easier to see. I drive with the top down a lot and it's easier to see on those sunny days. I live with the night issues as it was more than i felt like tackling...

· Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
View attachment 121885
View attachment 121886

I took mine apart, carefully shaved about 3/4" off theI inside of the bezel and " shimmed" the cluster from behind so they where easier to see. I drive with the top down a lot and it's easier to see on those sunny days. I live with the night issues as it was more than i felt like tackling

1 - 19 of 19 Posts