Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been loving my Redline since I bought it in November last year.
The only thing I disliked is lack of gauges!
i know I can get boost/ coolant temp in DIC, but I just wanted gauges for it. so it’s right there in my sight, rather than flipping through the small display...
After some researching, I decided on a custom pods set up on the center dash console. (The gauges will be installed in the next week or so when I have the time for it... it’ll have Boost/Vacuum, coolant temp and oil pressure gauges)
i like it a lot. I wanted something different than popular A pillar gauge mount....
I thought it would help some of you who who are looking for different gauge mounting options...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking to make one myself, but then I found a company that makes custom gauge pods. (Ortiz custom pods) So I ended up ordering it from them. They showed a dual pod set up on their wed page, but they said it’d be made to order, so I requested a triple set up.
I’m planing to install boost/vacuum, coolant temp & oil pressure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is my work in process. I have not figured on the oil pressure pick up yet. Possiblities are to T at the factory sensor, galley on side of block or install oil cooler and T from there.
gagues1.jpg
gauge.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang! That looks sweet!
Im in the same boat about oil pressure sensor location... still haven’t decided but more than likely, it will be T’d off at the stock switch location.
it “looks like” I will be able to access it by taking off just the charge pipe to the throttle body....
I’ve read on Cobal SS forum that a guy installed a oil pressure sensor at the stock location and relocated the stock switch to the middle plug in the head.
He reported that plug at head reads lower pressure but enough to keep the low oil pressure warning off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dang! That looks sweet!
Im in the same boat about oil pressure sensor location... still haven’t decided but more than likely, it will be T’d off at the stock switch location.
it “looks like” I will be able to access it by taking off just the charge pipe to the throttle body....
I’ve read on Cobal SS forum that a guy installed a oil pressure sensor at the stock location and relocated the stock switch to the middle plug in the head.
He reported that plug at head reads lower pressure but enough to keep the low oil pressure warning off.
Well with the 2.4 I have fewer choices. The volt gauge is not a problem. The water temp I have all the parts to T off the top radiator hose. The vacuum I have not done yet but at worst I can tap into the intake. Oil pressure at worst will be to install an oil cooler and get from there but first preference is to come off the stock sensor location. I too prefer gauges in a car like this. I flew a bit as a teenager and got in the habit of eyes out of the cockpit and a quick glance of the gauges.

·
Super Moderator
11,193 Posts
I was thinking to make one myself, but then I found a company that makes custom gauge pods. (Ortiz custom pods) So I ended up ordering it from them. They showed a dual pod set up on their wed page, but they said it’d be made to order, so I requested a triple set up.
I’m planing to install boost/vacuum, coolant temp & oil pressure.
I was looking at Ortiz but didn't know they could do a three gauge pod. Still needs to be painted though too...not a big deal but something to consider. I want to do fuel pressure, oil pressure and oil temp (since I can always run water temp in the display). I was going to go a different route for gauges but would like to be able to log fuel pressure and the route I was going to go wouldn't let me do that. I still am debating but I like this option.

Well with the 2.4 I have fewer choices. The volt gauge is not a problem. The water temp I have all the parts to T off the top radiator hose. The vacuum I have not done yet but at worst I can tap into the intake. Oil pressure at worst will be to install an oil cooler and get from there but first preference is to come off the stock sensor location. I too prefer gauges in a car like this. I flew a bit as a teenager and got in the habit of eyes out of the cockpit and a quick glance of the gauges.
On the 2.4 you can tie into the vac line that runs from the intake manifold to the brake booster. That's where I've tied in for all the turbo vac lines such as the blow off valve and boost gauge/controller. For the oil pressure, there are a number of oil galleys on the block you can use. We use one of these for the oil feed line when installing a turbo to the 2.4. There are three on each side I believe though the ones I'm familiar with are the ones on the exhaust manifold side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was looking at Ortiz but didn't know they could do a three gauge pod. Still needs to be painted though too...not a big deal but something to consider. I want to do fuel pressure, oil pressure and oil temp (since I can always run water temp in the display). I was going to go a different route for gauges but would like to be able to log fuel pressure and the route I was going to go wouldn't let me do that. I still am debating but I like this option.

On the 2.4 you can tie into the vac line that runs from the intake manifold to the brake booster. That's where I've tied in for all the turbo vac lines such as the blow off valve and boost gauge/controller. For the oil pressure, there are a number of oil galleys on the block you can use. We use one of these for the oil feed line when installing a turbo to the 2.4. There are three on each side I believe though the ones I'm familiar with are the ones on the exhaust manifold side.

The Ortiz pod came to me with a nice satin flat black paint on it so it is ready to go.

·
Super Moderator
11,193 Posts
Oh that looks nice cobraken...I do like my double din touch screen head unit. TXZ1956, I would go mental if I had it that satin/matte black finish and left it that way. I think I have a painter that can match the piano black we have stock...he did my radio adaptor for my double din unit but don't know if he is still at the same shop or not.

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
I piano-blacked my 3d printed radio bezel with rattle can lacquer and a lot of sanding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
By the way, the color of the bezel is satin black, as it came from Ortiz.
I was gonna paint it in glossy black, but I kind of like how it looks in satin black. so I’m leaving it as is for now.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Did you order t in satin black? I thought he made the pod from a factory part, so I understand the top not being piano black, but why is all of it satin black?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you order t in satin black? I thought he made the pod from a factory part, so I understand the top not being piano black, but why is all of it satin black?
Ortiz uses the factory part. He first cuts a triangle hole in the top piano black part then glasses and bondo individual PVC pipe "pods" into place.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally have working gauges that I’ve been wanting since I bought my RL 3 months ago...
I went with AirDrive series gauges by AutoMeter. Although it cost more than most gauges on the market, super easy installation and being programmable and many backlight color choice, I thought it was worth it. The only sensor I need to add is the oil pressure sensor. (which I’m still waiting to arrive)
I was gonna match the factory radio display color for backlighting, but I found the color in the pic was much easier to read.
I’ve i receive the sensor,?Im planning to install it at the stock switch location & relocate the stock switch to the head.
A member at Cobalt SS forum has done it and he said it’s been working great. (The lower pressure at the head is still plenty enough to operate the switch properly)

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
I have the two gauge A pillar set up. But mine are Carbon Fiber and really don't want to have the hassle of replacing it. I like the three gauge look in the center. My two gauge unit is a problem sometimes with hitting it with my hand. Too close I guess.

I may look into these, thanks for finding them. I doubt I need the extra gauges now that I am back to stock on the engine, but thinking I could use the center as a cover for the mic on my stereo. Not taking my double din radio out for certain.

My whole center console unit is hydro dipped gloss black carbon fiber, could have the three unit done to match, rather than painting. Wondering if it would have any affect on the tonneau set up.

·
Registered
761 Posts
want to install a fuel gauge that is readable. I ran out of gas in my driveway yesterday because the surrent gauge is only readable at night with the headlights on!!!
Are the wires needed for a remote fuel gauge accessible?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts