Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just currious about the color of the gauges illuminated? The pics I've seen show them as a yellow/orange. I'm not fond of that color and wondering if its really a white light and just bad photography. Irregardless I plan on changing the bulbs to a blue as I am obsessed with Blue :D Also if anyone out there could let me know what bulbs are needed to replace the stock to beautiful, brilliant, Blue I would be much obliged.

Ordered Feb 13th
I'm next in line but my car wont arrive till August I'm told. :brentil:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
The photos are accurate representation of the colors of the gauges. The are definitely orange.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yep they are yellow...I don't like the color either.
I give GM an A+ on the design of the car but the interior is another story, C at best. I would have preferred the gages in the Solstice. They are white and light up red.
The car also needs more analog gages. The big blank space at the bottom of the speedo could have held an oil pressure and water temp.

Even if you change the bulbs to blue I don't think that you could change the radio it will still be yellow.

I have the single disk Monsoon and love it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the rapid responses.

I agree that it could use some more guages like an oil pressure guage. I had a 91 SC and it had an Oil pressure guage. I was sorry to see it disappear. It was one of the few cars that had one.

Well, now whos going to tear their dash appart to find out how to change the bulbs? :jester:

·
Registered
295 Posts
the light on the radio is the worst...top down and sunny and you cant see anything...monsoon 6 cd

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
nolates said:
the light on the radio is the worst...top down and sunny and you cant see anything...monsoon 6 cd
Quick -- name any convertible were you can see a lighted radio in the sun???:D Oh! times up -- right answer ----> None!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Quick -- name any convertible were you can see a lighted radio in the sun???:D Oh! times up -- right answer ----> None!
69 Camaro RS/SS Convertible, I guess any convertible before 1985:lol: ?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Yeah, it would have to be a white w/ black lettering display like they have on boat stereos (example).

I think a neat idea around the problem would be to incorporate the DIC to show station changes or other radio information if you wanted.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have seen people replace the LED's on all their interior buttons and instermentation with different colors. Very involved process, but very cool and unique when finished.

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
PieintheSky said:
I would have preferred the gages in the Solstice. They are white and light up red.
Red gauges are a Pontiac signature item. It would be like saying you didn't like the Saturn logo on your Sky and wished they had replaced it with a Pontiac Arrowhead. To GM, the red gagues and the Pontiac logo are one in the same.

I would like to see a different color though...the yellow is just...well...odd.

One thing that would be nice to add to elieveate the stereo issue would be a HUD. But I have a feeling that's a pipe dream.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Maybe it's just me but the gauge color is perfect. It is not glarey and the illumination can be kept nice and dim, yet still read perfectly. I love the amber color.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Robotech said:
Red gauges are a Pontiac signature item. It would be like saying you didn't like the Saturn logo on your Sky and wished they had replaced it with a Pontiac Arrowhead. To GM, the red gagues and the Pontiac logo are one in the same.

I would like to see a different color though...the yellow is just...well...odd.

One thing that would be nice to add to elieveate the stereo issue would be a HUD. But I have a feeling that's a pipe dream.
Yeah the Amber/Yellow isnt really my favorite either... but it does have a nice glow like that of a BMW or Lexus late at night.

I am one for color consistency though so if they have an aftermarket system to change the gauge colors, I would be bothered unless my stereo reciever matched it.

A HUD would be beautiful, but that seems like such a lost feature that car companies never seem to want to listen to consumers on. We love them and yet since the early 90's we have seen them dwindle in numbers. Hopefully GPS will help bring them back.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
SpecRaceM5 said:
I have seen people replace the LED's on all their interior buttons and instermentation with different colors. Very involved process, but very cool and unique when finished.

Mine will be PINK.... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Yeah, it would have to be a white w/ black lettering display like they have on boat stereos (example).

I think a neat idea around the problem would be to incorporate the DIC to show station changes or other radio information if you wanted.
That is boat -- we are talking cars
Painted on number and a dial would work best -- but I just don't seem to have a problem with this... Set the thing and go....

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
That is boat -- we are talking cars
Painted on number and a dial would work best -- but I just don't seem to have a problem with this... Set the thing and go....
Oh yeah, without a doubt I wouldnt WANT the marine stereo look! Although a fish finder might be just what the console is missing. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1994SC2 said:
Yeah the Amber/Yellow isnt really my favorite either... but it does have a nice glow like that of a BMW or Lexus late at night.

I am one for color consistency though so if they have an aftermarket system to change the gauge colors, I would be bothered unless my stereo reciever matched it.

A HUD would be beautiful, but that seems like such a lost feature that car companies never seem to want to listen to consumers on. We love them and yet since the early 90's we have seen them dwindle in numbers. Hopefully GPS will help bring them back.

I would also like it to be consistantly blue...so... I'm looking into options. I have a friend in a low place that could probably do something about my radio facia. It's gotta be blue.... :thumbs: also going to do blue courtesy lights.

I do find it odd that GM didn't put in a HUD. They offer it on other models. I certainly think it would help change Saturns future image if they would offer 21st century ideas. Since this car is a test bed of consumer wants...GM should think about what more the car buyer desires. Big Hint GM.... Cool Functional Usable Stuff not just Gimmicky. :nono: I could continue but we all have our own ideas. There's ANOTHER big hint to GM. More optional customization. Toyota got that right with their Scion Series. Even though I'm still not going to buy a Scion. :D

Of couse I would be more than happy if my car would just get here! :deadhorse

·
Registered
351 Posts
Rahn said:
I would also like it to be consistantly blue...so... I'm looking into options. I have a friend in a low place that could probably do something about my radio facia. It's gotta be blue.... :thumbs: also going to do blue courtesy lights.

I do find it odd that GM didn't put in a HUD. They offer it on other models. I certainly think it would help change Saturns future image if they would offer 21st century ideas. Since this car is a test bed of consumer wants...GM should think about what more the car buyer desires. Big Hint GM.... Cool Functional Usable Stuff not just Gimmicky. :nono: I could continue but we all have our own ideas. There's ANOTHER big hint to GM. More optional customization. Toyota got that right with their Scion Series. Even though I'm still not going to buy a Scion. :D

Of couse I would be more than happy if my car would just get here! :deadhorse
I think blue would be a great color for the gages:cheers:
As soon as you find out how please post the instructions.

What is a HUD????:confused:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
PieintheSky said:
What is a HUD????:confused:
HUD (Heads Up Display) is a little feature originially incorporated on airplanes and jets to offer a pilot the ability to see information while continuing to look straight ahead. The information is actually projected on the glass or other transparent surface. Some automobiles started to incorporate them in the past ten years or so but they haven't caught on as much as some of us would have liked.

Example of a Corvette's HUD:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts