Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of posts about rattles coming from the gear shift knob on the Saturn Sky, but no good solutions, other than an aftermarket shifter replacement. Expensive and difficult to do, also a big change to the cars appearance. If you have a rattle coming from the knob itself, which seems common, here is a very easy fix. Go buy yourself a can of "Touch 'n Foam" "Easy Fill" Multi-Purpose Foam Sealant. DO NOT BUY ANY OTHER PRODUCT. This brand is a light weight foam sealant that easily cleans up with soap and water. If you use any other foam sealant you will have a mess that cannot be removed.
Also, this brand comes with a thin tube that can be squashed slightly on the end. You can then insert the tube into the the gear shift knob between the leather and the shaft. I could push the tube up about 3/4". Follow the instructions for attaching the tube to the can and filling. It doesn't take much before it starts coming out the sides of the knob. This product is very easy to clean up with a sponge and some soppy water. I found that I had to insert the tube on both sides of the shifter to completely fill. The can says it will set in 18 hours, but I was driving an hour later with no rattle noise. It's been a week now and it hasn't come back, I doubt it ever will.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Wanted to reply to this so others see it WHEN they have the same issue. This was a very easy fix and I did it just 3 hours ago. No,more rattle! This is the fix if you don't want to replace everything.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I bought a shift knob assembly from a forum member. He stated up front that the shift knob was loose on the shaft, so I knew what I was buying. My original shift knob was in such bad shape, I figured it had to be a lot better, and it was. Well, before installing it into the car, I decided to just grab the knob and using all my strength it came right off. This is what it looks like when the knob is off.

If you study the pictures closely, you can see a groove in the stem and a pin in the knob, so you cannot twist the knob off. You have to pull with strength straight up to overcome the ribs on the shaft. The tiny bit of wiggle did help when pulling.

Once off and cleaned well, I used 2-part JB Weld metal epoxy to glue it back on. I applied a very generous amount on both surfaces, so much that some oozed out while pressing the knob down over the shaft. I removed the bit of ooze using thin wood stir sticks I had laying around for just such a purpose. None of the ooze was visible when the knob hit the bottom so I assume I filled all the air gaps adequately. Immediately after assembly, I turned the knob so the diagram on the knob faces the driver as much as possible. You can see in this picture it is very slightly skewed toward the driver as I feel it should.

So far so good, but I have only driven 300 miles since the repair.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I don't want people to get thrown off on a tangent for how others ripped off the shift knob etc. in this thread.

This thread is about NOT having to rip anything off of the car but to utilize the VERY EASY fix that the OP suggested.

Per the OP just use touch n foam and flatten the straw applicator at its tip to slide it up between the shift knob and the shifter rod and spray (lightly) until you see it coming out the bottom of the knob. Wipe off then do the same on the other side and wipe off. It'll be tight in a couple hours (no more rattle)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here’s what I did:
I added rubber bands between the knob and the leather until the rattle stopped. After some use It would begin to rattle again. Every time, I added more rubber bands.
Eventually, the knob broke free. Then i bonded it in with sealant. The sealant is a bit flexible, but retains the knob, and it doesn’t rattle. 7+ years no problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts